Possible new Xbox console 1Tb memory card leaks?

HardAct

1TB Series s & x Memory cards?

I usually don't do this, but caught up in the ps5 preorder woes, but this did catch me off guard a bit! Really hope it's not this much, I've been wanting a M.2 gaming only card 2TB for my gaming PC and there well over 200 but wasn't really thinking about possible costs for the consoles, thoughts? These are 219.99 for 1TB is reliable!!

I posted about this in the XBX thread. This is going to be a long term problem with them going proprietary. -.-

I'm sure PS5 compatible SSD are also going to be outrageously expensive they should come down in price after a while since they will be the same ones sold for the PC market.

IF THEY PROVE TO BE CORRECT,

Yea don't know why but it shocked me as I've been actively pondering a 2TB m.2 now for a month! Those are the same cost as a 1TB xbox ones. This will hurt for sure, 1TB sucks but we knew that going in. Looks like I'm buying a drive for my PC and watching you guys for a few months hook up and enjoy your new consoles and graphics cards this year anyway. 200 for a good 2TB gaming PC drive is looking great to me now...lol Go figure!

Really hoping that the $200+ isn't true but if that's what it cost I will get one. I don't think the proprietary design is much of an issue more so that those SSD's aren't cheap. Even Sony's SSD have to meet a criteria to be able to be used in them. In the mean time it looks like you will need to keep swapping games between an external and the internal if you don't want to pony up the $200+.

I'm hoping those prices are MSRP and it's up to the retailers to give them a bit of a price drop or sale, even if it's not much.

The upside though;

I read from a developer post (I can't cite it, so grain of salt) that the speeds of the new SSD's in both of the consoles are much, much faster than current ones (duh). The result is that the devs don't have to include redundant textures in their packages, just the main texture, so the increasing game sizes should plateau, and even go down in some cases. How this will affect the Series S, I'm not sure, but it will probably run the same textures just supersampled to 1080/1440p. 

Another thing is that I do believe (again, grain of salt) that MS said the Series S/X will still support external hard drives for previous gen games, but that the Series S/X games could be STORED on the standard HDD's, just not played. So if you have to do house cleaning, you could possibly move the game over to an external HDD instead of deleting it and having to re-download it again.

I plan on utilizing this as I have a 4TB external hooked up to my One X and it's not even a quarter full. If I can store my current gen games there when not playing them and just move them over, I'll do that while I save up money for the memory card.

3 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm hoping those prices are MSRP and it's up to the retailers to give them a bit of a price drop or sale, even if it's not much.

The upside though;

I read from a developer post (I can't cite it, so grain of salt) that the speeds of the new SSD's in both of the consoles are much, much faster than current ones (duh). The result is that the devs don't have to include redundant textures in their packages, just the main texture, so the increasing game sizes should plateau, and even go down in some cases. How this will affect the Series S, I'm not sure, but it will probably run the same textures just supersampled to 1080/1440p. 

Another thing is that I do believe (again, grain of salt) that MS said the Series S/X will still support external hard drives for previous gen games, but that the Series S/X games could be STORED on the standard HDD's, just not played. So if you have to do house cleaning, you could possibly move the game over to an external HDD instead of deleting it and having to re-download it again.

I plan on utilizing this as I have a 4TB external hooked up to my One X and it's not even a quarter full. If I can store my current gen games there when not playing them and just move them over, I'll do that while I save up money for the memory card.

From the messaging MS has been doing, and I could be wrong, Series S games will have smaller texture file sizes since they won't be presented in 4k like the Series X. So if that's true it would be a good thing for Series S owners as far as game sizes go. 

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The upside though;

Jason Ronald confirmed Series S installs should be 30% smaller than current install sizes.

And you are correct, you can still store next gen games on Externals and simply move them in and out of the SSD.  Which is basically what I do now with my external SSD.  Move the games I'm currently playing the most in my external SSD, store everything else on traditional external HDDs.

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The upside though;

I've had a 4TB WD external drive also hooked up to my Xbox1X, it's only 1/3rd full and a WD 5TB Black hooked to my PS4pro that I love too

As I’ve said in other threads, I’m not so worried about it. I had a 4TB external HDD and a 500GB external SSD, and I’m willing to  just get other external HDDs. I’m fine with storing games on one drive and transferring to and from the internal SSD. Just keeping 5-10 games I’m actively or most likely to play on the internal at any one time. 

so the Series X/S Expandable drives could be $1000 at launch and I wouldn’t care. Unless the internal SSD goes out, I won’t need to buy a new one. 

I think it makes sense to disallow generic game drives as it’s likely that read speeds are going to be terribly important to maintaining performance. Would be a great way to get a lot of complaints about performance because people are using poor performing SSDs.

They should make it easy to swap games between the internal drive and an external storage drive. Maybe make it such that you can start playing before the game is completely copied like some games can start before they finish downloading.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They should make it easy to swap games between the internal drive and an external storage drive. Maybe make it such that you can start playing before the game is completely copied like some games can start before they finish downloading.

This is actually a great idea and could seriously help with the storage concerns. I’m assuming it’s possible to do just because it seems like it would be, wonder if they are looking into that.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it makes sense to disallow generic game drives as it’s likely that read speeds are going to be terribly important to maintaining performance. Would be a great way to get a lot of complaints about performance because people are using poor performing SSDs.

The quoted read speeds by MS For SeX/SeS are actually pretty slow for a m.2 SSD.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And what would be even a step better... is have some AI involved and do it automatically so you don't have to think about it.  Have it slide stuff off that is less played, and have ready games that you play a lot or just recently downloaded.  If you go to play a game that is stored on your 'slow' drive it would just have to do some rearranging before you can play.  Of course this would just need to be like and easy button option.  Still give the hard core people the ability to completely control it themselves.  

1 minute ago, stepee said:

This is actually a great idea and could seriously help with the storage concerns. I’m assuming it’s possible to do just because it seems like it would be, wonder if they are looking into that.

Since a gen3+ m.2 ssd will become necessary for future games, I’ve been wondering if doing some type of PCI-E based solution would be possible for PCs. Something like a PCI-E card with an 500gb-1tb m.2 on it that auto-transfers/loads games when you start them, and keeps the last 5 (or whatever) that you’ve played on it (like how current consoles keep the last several apps you’ve used in memory for faster loading). This would make it easier on people, IMO, as how many PC Gamers (I know this is an XSX thread :p ) actually have a sizable amount of Gen3+ m.2 storage?

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Or just do what Sony’s doing and have “approved m.2 drives” for the console, and ones that don’t meet the speed requirements don’t work.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The quoted read speeds by MS For SeX/SeS are actually pretty slow for a m.2 SSD.

It isn’t about the quoted speeds, it’s whether they consistently hit the spec. That’s why you see high end video cameras that use non proprietary memory cards often ship with tools for validating the specs of the cards to ensure the sustained write speeds can be maintained.