Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update (08/22): PC demo patch and system requirements released

Pikachu

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Think I've fallen a bit behind Bacon, but all I have to say is...

If that's what I think it is, then I am like 1 or 2 "stages" ahead of you. Any mission marked with crossed swords is a stage.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

After my playthrough last night this is my favorite game this year so far. The only game that could top it is Starfield. I'm in love with this shit. 

Steadily becoming mine too. I was worried about the cutscene frequency from the demo but the story is so dang good I don't mind it at all. It's become more and more rare that I look forward to playing a game anymore but this one.. Idk it hits different for whatever reason 

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Am I able to increase the amount of potions I can carry?

In a side quest later on you can. There is also a side quest to increase potency. The increase gives 2 extra potions, and 1 extra high, stone, and strength potion. I do not know if there are more increases for those potions.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

In a side quest later on you can. There is also a side quest to increase potency. The increase gives 2 extra potions, and 1 extra high, stone, and strength potion. I do not know if there are more increases for those potions.

Good to know.

It was the first boss fight with Cid and Torgal in my party, so I’m still early on.

17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

After thinking about it for a while, the best way I can sum up the combat is: DMC but with cooldowns on every ability, only one real combo, 30 FPS (or "almost 60" in performance mode) and the enemies don't flinch for most moves.

Maybe I should revise this to "Kingdom Hearts for Game of Thrones fans"

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So enemies don't flinch when you hit them? How does the combat feel then? That's one of my biggest complaints about Skyrim's combat... enemies not reacting to your hits and the combat just feeling like there's no weight to it. Is that the case here? Also one combo??? That's not good for any action game.

Regular enemies react just fine. Every boss-type enemy can power through your attacks tho. I think most combat feels fine tho. Like, it isn't Skyrim, but it isn't dark souls either where using an UGS will stagger even the most armored of knights. That part of 16's combat is similar to KH. 

And there really is one combo, basically. You either mash R1, or you do R1>R2x8. And mashing R1 is useless so it's best to get the timing down for the R1>R2 combo and your combo basically becomes filler while you wait for an ability to cool down. It is crazy how worthless melee attacks feel even with LB. It takes like 3 full R1 combos to kill a basic mob. And it's funny cuz if you ever watch your NPCs fight, they basically do nothing until they do 1 attack that just instantly removes 50% of an enemy's HP. NPCs feel entirely non-existent on any boss with a stagger bar. They only "do work" on trash mobs.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Eh, KH's (1-2) combat is more fun and I don't have to press 2 buttons for the "real" basic combo.

I dunno about KH1, but 2's combat is sublime for sure! I just felt like as I was leaving the desert "man I'm in Agrabah"

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So enemies don't flinch when you hit them? How does the combat feel then? That's one of my biggest complaints about Skyrim's combat... enemies not reacting to your hits and the combat just feeling like there's no weight to it. Is that the case here? Also one combo??? That's not good for any action game.

They do flinch for more powerful attacks, unless they're a big enemy, in which case you get a big flinch at halfway through their stagger bar and a several second stagger once you break the bar.

You can also flinch enemies with parries (that is, landing an attack in a small window as they attack) but the timing on it is not great for a casual playthrough and you'll mostly do these on accident or when using LB where you can spam attacks nonstop.

Generally speaking, they're just basically walking tanks.

Unlike Skyrim, you do have big abilities here that can fuck up normal enemies real good and fling them around, but they're on sad cooldowns and again, nothing for big boys.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that abilities can really fuck up trash mobs. Like, I have an earth AoE that lunches people 20 feet into the air, and then I blast them with a lightning AoE and send them flying away from me. If they don't die from that, they are 1 hit away. Big boys don't do shit until you break their poise or parry like xbob said.

The gameplay is only "fine". The abilities are really fun tho. Love when I can bust a nut with all six spells on a staggered boss. I've done over 64k damage on a boss like that. Which seems impressive to me until I remember I had to stagger that boss 3-4 times in total before it died. But to be fair it was level 50 and I was level 39.

Yeah. It's very flashy and sparkly but it lacks that player engagement that really makes action combat click. There's a lot of downtime where it's just combos and dodging, and while Dark Souls can get away with that, there's a lot of positioning and timing and huge punishment for failure in those games, and even there it gets old. I think it's good bones for an action game but you don't stretch bones for 30-60 hours. It's the same reason, I think, that the Eikonic battles are like 50% cutscene. They know there just aren't enough mechanics. They do continue to try to at least change up how you're approaching enemies, which keeps those at least somewhat novel. Then they slooowly, ever so slowly unlock new mechanics for them, but man they dole them out at a glacier's pace.

One of my problems with the combat is how it feels more focused on DPS, while Damager per hit is far more exciting. Titan's spells are the only real heavy hitters so far. The Eikon I unlocked after Titan has the first 5-star damaging move but It is more of a DPS Eikon so I don't really like it. I did spec into it for that level 50 boss tho.

Like, I wanna see big fuckin' numbers, not a bunch of 100-300s. Fuck the assault rifle approach, give me that damn shotgun. FF has been the series known for the 9999. That's what I want to see.

• Halal 1

I will say a lot of the boss battles are a bright spot for the combat, if only because when you actually have to engage with mechanics (Very FFXIV-style ones) it really alleviates the samey feeling you get with other enemies.

Some boss fights don't provide said mechanics as much, and those ones suffer the most for me because then you're focused on how long it takes to kill them. I like it when a boss has a ton of HP but I don't even realize it because time passes so fast and I'm 100% engaged on the actual fight.

Meanwhile non-boss fights are just getting more and more irritating because of their ease.

• True 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm sure the game plays better than it sounds because you guys seem to be enjoying it, but none of this sound sgood at ALL. I'm still getting it though... I have so many rewards from Best Buy the game is practically free.

The complaints are minor, the game really is incredible.

• True 2

I'm sure the game plays better than it sounds because you guys seem to be enjoying it, but none of this sound sgood at ALL. I'm still getting it though... I have so many rewards from Best Buy the game is practically free.

Damn this reminds me of all the doom and gloom folks were posting right before Final Fantasy came out only to have everyone jizzing on their keyboards once they played the game :lol: Don't change D1P... don't ever fucking change.

The game is good. Despite its flaws, it remains engaging. But flaws it has, and it's not doing anything new.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Damn this reminds me of all the doom and gloom folks were posting right before Final Fantasy came out only to have everyone jizzing on their keyboards once they played the game :lol: Don't change D1P... don't ever fucking change.

The doom and gloom was posted by you!

pepperidge farms remembers!

1 hour ago, legend said:

The game is good. Despite its flaws, it remains engaging. But flaws it has, and it's not doing anything new.

Yeah. For me, the flaws are anything but minor (the combat being subpar in a very long game with a lot of combat is to me a very serious issue) but it tells a better, more coherent story than FFXV, and even with the combat problems, it plays a million times better than that piece of crap to boot.

It's a good time, I just... want more from Yoshi-P and co. Not in terms of bombast. The game's very flashy and pretty and all that, but I never really gave a shit about any of that. FF for me is largely about the charm and the fun job systems and playing as lots of very different characters and earning all their very different ultimate weapons and all that good stuff. Seeing the enemies have dedicated healers, buffers, debuffers and mages just makes me miss all that, although I guess in a roundabout way you could sort of call Clive a Summoner, would be a helluva foundation for Summoner in FFXIV. Although the recent Summoner rework, in hindsight, does look quite similar to Clive now that I think about it...

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

7 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I’m still unsure how I feel about this game so far, but I’ll say this, it’s BEAUTIFUL:

Fzlcd6tXwAAarSG?format=jpg&name=large
FzmVQDOWcAEMaEv?format=jpg&name=large
FzmVRdfX0AA_FTi?format=jpg&name=large

Very nice shots. Definitely looking forward to exploring this world next year. Do you get that dog friend the entire game?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Very nice shots. Definitely looking forward to exploring this world next year. Do you get that dog friend the entire game?

I assume for the entire game. I’m level 22 and I still have him. @Slug asked if he could leave him at Basecamp. Can you believe that shit. LEAVE HIM at Basecamp. Needless to say he is dead to me. 

• True 3

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I assume for the entire game. I’m level 22 and I still have him. @Slug asked if he could leave him at Basecamp. Can you believe that shit. LEAVE HIM at Basecamp. Needless to say he is dead to me. 

Damn, about 3x as hype for this now!