Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update (08/22): PC demo patch and system requirements released

Pikachu

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I feel like I started a page long argument just because I said some screenshots looked nice and I looked forward to playing it down the line :P

Stepee, I want to apologize about my blur comments when moving the camera. They’re completely false. The game is super clear at all times.

IMG-7849.jpg 
IMG-7850.jpg
IMG-7851.jpg
IMG-7852.jpg

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh. I still really enjoyed the plot, like a lot, so that's why it's that high. Pretty much, every review comes down to how much I enjoy a piece of media. ELEX is a bit of an exception as I really enjoyed it but there was no way I was giving that game a high score. Then there is something like SoP that I had non stop fun with. DOOM eternal and Re4 are such games. A 7/10 means I enjoyed parts of it but was ultimately disappointed. I think if I were to replay smo and botw I'd actually rate them lower. Sometimes I give out 7/10s for games that I really wanted to like, but didn't. FF16 is not one of those games. I mean, I did want to like it more, but it isn't dog shit by any means.

A 7/10 is good enough to beat but not good enough to replay.

Perhaps you should use a lower resolution scale in that case? :p 

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Stepee, I want to apologize about my blur comments when moving the camera. They’re completely false. The game is super clear at all times.

IMG-7849.jpg 
IMG-7850.jpg
IMG-7851.jpg
IMG-7852.jpg

Apropos, I find it mildly irritating that the game aggressively resets the camera angle the moment you let got of the stick and I feel like I'm fighting it to stay pointed where I want to look, which in turn means I'm dealing with the blur more. I had hoped there would be a setting to disable that, but I couldn't find one at least.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Apropos, I find it mildly irritating that the game aggressively resets the camera angle the moment you let got of the stick and I feel like I'm fighting it to stay pointed where I want to look, which in turn means I'm dealing with the blur more.

What’s odd is that the FSR blurring isn’t as bad in performance mode. It’s still present, but not as distracting. However, the lower base res and other effects seemingly getting downgraded in performance mode makes it a hard trade off for me. The game is still gorgeous despite the flaw.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s odd is that the FSR blurring isn’t as bad in performance mode. It’s still present, but not as distracting. However, the lower base res and other effects seemingly getting downgraded in performance mode makes it a hard trade off for me. The game is still gorgeous despite the flaw.

I ended up switching off performance mode. It was too inconsistent and I fucking loathe stutter with a fiery passion.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

FFXV is one of the worst FF games ever made (ahead of XIII, slightly) and definitely doesn’t look better than this.

and VIIR, I haven’t played the PS5 version, but the PS4 edition is absolutely not better looking either.

Based off the screenshots I’ve taken, the previous two games look better than this. Everything in XVI seems to have a grayscale tone over everything. Then again, I’ve mostly been in dark areas since I started the game so maybe that changes.

That said, XV is legit one of the worst games I’ve ever played and somehow insanely fun. I loved driving around in the car and listening to the banter.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

I ended up switching off performance mode. It was too inconsistent and I fucking loathe stutter with a fiery passion.

Yea, that’s the other issue I noticed with performance mode: the framerate was noticeably inconsistent causing some stutter. The graphics mode is at least a solid 30fps (except some Eikon battles it definitely seems to go a bit lower :p )

• stepee 1

9 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Ok so where do you check how long you've played? I swear man, it's probably right in front of me but damn.. I'm gettin old 

On the "dashboard" select your user profile. Then select games and it will show hours played next to the game. 

Is it ever worth it to “explore”? I’m around level 21/22 and about to give up on going off to chase down those glowing orbs. There’s almost never anything great in the chests you find and usually I just get annoyed I wasted that tome instead of advancing the story. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Is it ever worth it to “explore”? I’m around level 21/22 and about to give up on going off to chase down those glowing orbs. There’s almost never anything great in the chests you find and usually I just get annoyed I wasted that tome instead of advancing the story. 

It’s called playing the game. 

2 hours ago, legend said:

I must have console peasant eyes. I went back to frame rate mode. It seems much smoother than graphics mode to me. lol

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Bro I dunno what you mean it's so CRISP kp9xeZm.png

Jokes aside as much as I hate erratic FPS and stutter, this kind of insane camera motion blur @ 30 FPS actually makes me feel motion sickness, so performance mode it's been for me! I move my camera manually a LOT in games like this so when I can't see properly it really upsets my brain.

Also one of the hunts I did had a big attack where the game tries to angle the camera downward for you to help you see better and it just got me killed like 4 times, haha. DON'T EVER MOVE MY CAMERA! I wish games like this had options like "do not recenter camera" (some do) and "do not adjust camera automatically for attacks or to look at points of interest" which almost none do.

I can’t stand Quality mode. Like Xbob, the it makes me nauseous. 

I just personally don’t care about graphics that much. The art design is stunning, some of the best I’ve seen, but it absolutely looks awful in motion, I just don’t care. 

Combat is smooth, I can deal with a little slowdown in other areas.

I will definitely replay on PC if they improve it though.

• stepee 1

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Based off the screenshots I’ve taken, the previous two games look better than this. Everything in XVI seems to have a grayscale tone over everything. Then again, I’ve mostly been in dark areas since I started the game so maybe that changes.

That said, XV is legit one of the worst games I’ve ever played and somehow insanely fun. I loved driving around in the car and listening to the banter.

There is nothing good looking about XV. That game was just ugly everywhere. Art direction, framerate (on ps4, never played it elsewhere), characters. I just don’t see it. 

This game is stunning when it’s not blurry.

And I’ll just say it again, the damn music in this game!

I disagree with FF15 on ps4, I think it looked pretty darn good on ps4 and it was one of the first games with good hdr support on the ps4 pro which really made it shine especially at night.

FF15 to this day looks amazing on pc. I just played a little on my laptop and it honestly looks fantastic. There’s a lot of extra features on pc. I’m actually thinking of finally continuing it sometime this year since I’m waiting on this. I actually like what Ive played of it. And I do like the theme and setting better, FF16 isn’t so much my style.

The combat seems a lot better in FF16 though and as good as FF15 does still look, this is obviously a level ahead of it in terms of detail and geometry and character models, and if they do a similar port on pc oh man it could be something.

24 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I can’t stand Quality mode. Like Xbob, the it makes me nauseous. 

I just personally don’t care about graphics that much. The art design is stunning, some of the best I’ve seen, but it absolutely looks awful in motion, I just don’t care. 

Combat is smooth, I can deal with a little slowdown in other areas.

I will definitely replay on PC if they improve it though.

Ya it made me sick also that’s why I changed it back to frame rate and the nauseous feeling went away. 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Bro I dunno what you mean it's so CRISP kp9xeZm.png

Jokes aside as much as I hate erratic FPS and stutter, this kind of insane camera motion blur @ 30 FPS actually makes me feel motion sickness, so performance mode it's been for me! I move my camera manually a LOT in games like this so when I can't see properly it really upsets my brain.

Also one of the hunts I did had a big attack where the game tries to angle the camera downward for you to help you see better and it just got me killed like 4 times, haha. DON'T EVER MOVE MY CAMERA! I wish games like this had options like "do not recenter camera" (some do) and "do not adjust camera automatically for attacks or to look at points of interest" which almost none do.

This is why I hate how aggressive the camera resets on you. I moved the camera for a reason -- I want to look in that direction! I'll move it back if I want to stare at Clive's ass.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I must have console peasant eyes. I went back to frame rate mode. It seems much smoother than graphics mode to me. lol

Not sure it's a console vs PC thing. Plenty of console games have locked stutter free frame rates, even if it's only at 30FPS. That is in fact why I switched back to graphics mode. What kills me is when it fluctuates grossly and that can happen on PC games too if it's a poorly optimized game or if you are shooting for a graphics target past what your PC can support smoothly. PC just let's you brute force your way past it a lot (but not all) of the time if you're willing to spend the money :p 

Put it another way 60 fps is better than 30 fps, but 30 fps is better than 51 fps!

(And higher than 60 with VRR is chef's kiss)

This game is long.

Ive just reached “the tower” and stopped for tonight, and im still only 79% complete.

of course I did a ton of side quests that popped up after a certain mission, there was a bunch, and it took a while, but I still did A LOT of story tonight, and only completed 7% on the main mission counter on the home screen. 

God I love the lore book and the naughty professors maps and charts. It’s incredible to go through the game beat by beat and watch the characters change.

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

This game is long.

Ive just reached “the tower” and stopped for tonight, and im still only 79% complete.

of course I did a ton of side quests that popped up after a certain mission, there was a bunch, and it took a while, but I still did A LOT of story tonight, and only completed 7% on the main mission counter on the home screen. 

God I love the lore book and the naughty professors maps and charts. It’s incredible to go through the game beat by beat and watch the characters change.

I’m 18 hours in and it says 36% progress

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

True. But please remember don’t discus anything until the 3 year waiting period is over. Brick might wanna play this in 2025. 

Hey, I get mad when people spoil like 20 year old games when a remake is coming out :P