Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update (08/22): PC demo patch and system requirements released

Pikachu

I upgraded to the digital deluxe edition to get the soundtrack. This is probably the first time I’ve ever purposefully bought a game soundtrack. 

I got others with purchases, special physical editions i wanted (mostly FF actually), but this is the first time I paid to just get a soundtrack.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I feel like I started a page long argument just because I said some screenshots looked nice and I looked forward to playing it down the line :P

It is actually all your fault, yes. :p

There was no argument anyway just busting balls. 

• Shocked 1

Quick question: should I just be crafting or upgrading a new weapon at basically every opportunity? I'm at "The Hunter and the Hunted" and it seems like every time I'm back at the hideout there's a new, minor upgrade available. I just recently got my first purple weapon, but after one mission there's a new green one available to craft that's mildly better. It seems like I just keep finding new mats for each upgrade, so I suppose I may as well? Or is there some point at which you need to save some mats to upgrade better weapons?

I appreciate some small things that they've done to streamline play. Automatically using potions when your inventory is full is nice, and something I'm missing when I play Diablo. I like not having to press a context button to climb up something or duck under a tree.

I really like the Active Time Lore feature, but I do wish that selecting locations would pull up a map.

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Or is there some point at which you need to save some mats to upgrade better weapons?

I've made everything as it comes without needing to save mats.

There is only one concerning thing and that is with Orichalcum. I need like 4-7, not sure, of them to craft the best NG sword and some belt and wrists. I have no idea if I'll have enough to make all three so I won't be crafting anything until later on. I currently don't have enough to craft any, and I have only gotten 1 and that was from getting your "renown" up.

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Also, based on the screenshots I’ve taken of this game… FFXV and FFVII Remake look better than this game.

Still a beautiful game, but it’s a 8 compared to that 9 and 10 respectively.

FFXV is one of the worst FF games ever made (ahead of XIII, slightly) and definitely doesn’t look better than this.

and VIIR, I haven’t played the PS5 version, but the PS4 edition is absolutely not better looking either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

This is a silly question but why do all the protagonist in FF games have hair like they do? They are always similar and look like they are a punk rocker from the 80's. 

They do that for fragile fan bois without mentioning any names......

bacon GIF

• Haha 1

So, as I have been playing, I kept getting this feeling of deja vu. Like, "Wow, I feel like I have experienced this exact plot before." Pretty sure I know why and it's for 2 reasons but I'll talk about them sometime after I beat the game. I'm getting close to the end, but I'm not there quite yet thanks to the plethora of side quests the game as tacked on.

Unless something really amazing happens, this is going to be given the Classic Bacon Score of 7/10. That's pretty much what I give to all games that aren't bad, really weren't great. Other games I have given a 7/10 to include RDR2, SMO, BOTW, and more. I recall saying that RDR2 was the prettiest 7/10 game I have ever played. I'd say that FF16 is the most presentationally epic 7/10 game I have ever played. It has very high, but very short peaks and long, meandering low valleys. It's not bad, but I had expected better.

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, as I have been playing, I kept getting this feeling of deja vu. Like, "Wow, I feel like I have experienced this exact plot before." Pretty sure I know why and it's for 2 reasons but I'll talk about them sometime after I beat the game. I'm getting close to the end, but I'm not there quite yet thanks to the plethora of side quests the game as tacked on.

Unless something really amazing happens, this is going to be given the Classic Bacon Score of 7/10. That's pretty much what I give to all games that aren't bad, really weren't great. Other games I have given a 7/10 to include RDR2, SMO, BOTW, and more. I recall saying that RDR2 was the prettiest 7/10 game I have ever played. I'd say that FF16 is the most presentationally epic 7/10 game I have ever played. It has very high, but very short peaks and long, meandering low valleys. It's not bad, but I had expected better.

There's something very wrong with your rating scale if RDR2 is rated the same as those other games :p 

12 minutes ago, legend said:

There's something very wrong with your rating scale if RDR2 is rated the same as those other games :p 

In which way? All 3 games I got bored of before beating which is pretty much where I'm at with ff16. RDR2 and BOTW both had lame combat. With SMO I was extremely disappointed in the way you collected moons. It was very reminiscent of collecting the seeds in BOTW. I did really enjoy the cappy mechanics but the game was boringly easy, and the harder stuff was post credits so I never did it. RDR2 had a fantastic and emotional story but that was about it. Well, it looked good too.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

In which way? All 3 games I got bored of before beating which is pretty much where I'm at with ff16. RDR2 and BOTW both had lame combat. With SMO I was extremely disappointed in the way you collected moons. It was very reminiscent of collecting the seeds in BOTW. I did really enjoy the cappy mechanics but the game was boringly easy, and the harder stuff was post credits so I never did it. RDR2 had a fantastic and emotional story but that was about it. Well, it looked good too.

RDR2 ought to be lower! It looked nice and the story was good, but I think they forgot they were making a game! The controls and glitchiness were on another level of bad.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Yes absolutely. I don’t move forward on the main story until I clear them. 

Yea, I'm doing the same thing now too. Every side quests that is available I do it immediately. At first I skipped them to get the story rolling but I spent one night just doing side quests. I will keep doing that and they are definitely worth while for loot etc.

23 minutes ago, legend said:

RDR2 ought to be lower! It looked nice and the story was good, but I think they forgot they were making a game! The controls and glitchiness were on another level of bad.

Oh. I still really enjoyed the plot, like a lot, so that's why it's that high. Pretty much, every review comes down to how much I enjoy a piece of media. ELEX is a bit of an exception as I really enjoyed it but there was no way I was giving that game a high score. Then there is something like SoP that I had non stop fun with. DOOM eternal and Re4 are such games. A 7/10 means I enjoyed parts of it but was ultimately disappointed. I think if I were to replay smo and botw I'd actually rate them lower. Sometimes I give out 7/10s for games that I really wanted to like, but didn't. FF16 is not one of those games. I mean, I did want to like it more, but it isn't dog shit by any means.

A 7/10 is good enough to beat but not good enough to replay.