Super Mario 3D All Stars has leaked to the Internet and it appears all games are emulated

Bacon

27 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe some thought Nintendo was rebuilding them from the ground up to run on Switch at higher resolutions and frame rates. 

They haven't really done anything to these games which makes the $60 a total ripoff. If maybe they put some effort into them maybe it would be something to consider. But it doesn't matter if it's good or bad the thing will sell like hotcakes.

26 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

lazy af. When they did the original allstars they remastered them all with SNES visuals

Although updating sprites for 2D grid based levels is quite a bit different than rebuilding Mario 64 with asset quality the likes of Odyssey. And to do it for all three games? The difference in labor between the all star packages would be staggering. 

I would be happy with minor improvements. Higher resolution, increases draw distance for assets, 60fps or better consistently, improved camera control and input latency.

Unless the emulators do all this, simply running their games through emulators doesn’t feel worth $60 to me. 

55 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I would be happy with minor improvements. Higher resolution, increases draw distance for assets, 60fps or better consistently, improved camera control and input latency.

Unless the emulators do all this, simply running their games through emulators doesn’t feel worth $60 to me. 

Some of that's unreasonable for emulators, some of it isn't.  Some depends on the game.

I'm seeing tweets that someone noticed framerate/framepacing issues in sunshine. :/

Yet with that said, I'm kind of more interested in what the hacking community is going to do with the emulators. They might be able to do some cool stuff with them (I do like how NERD handled runtime patching, it's pretty smart).

On 9/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Although updating sprites for 2D grid based levels is quite a bit different than rebuilding Mario 64 with asset quality the likes of Odyssey. And to do it for all three games? The difference in labor between the all star packages would be staggering. 

Oh yeah, doing work to update 3 whole games would be insane, utterly unheard of. And for only $60?

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - PlayStation 4 : Target

Wait they did it for these shitty games and charged even less!

Classic Nintendo tax. Minimal work for maximal money from the usual suckers who will rebuy the same shit until their dying day.

17 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Oh yeah, doing work to update 3 whole games would be insane, utterly unheard of. And for only $60?

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - PlayStation 4 : Target

Wait they did it for these shitty games and charged even less!

Classic Nintendo tax. Minimal work for maximal money from the usual suckers who will rebuy the same shit until their dying day.

I didn’t say it was unheard of. I was just saying that rebuilding a 3D Mario game with modern quality assets is on a whole different scale than rebuilding a 2D game with updates 2D sprites. 

I even said what Nintendo is doing isn’t worth $60. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Right, and Nintendo charges $60 for an experience that would be superior on an actual emulator, locked to a system you probably won't even be using in 5 years.

Most console games 15+ years old are. :sun:

I think you can bet on backwards compatibility, given Nintendo's deal with NVIDIA.  At least digitally.

I am extremely excited for this.  Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine HD are worth the price of admission in my eyes, especially since it seems that a Pro Controller with gyro controls and a dedicated spin button will likely be the definitive control method for Galaxy.  And I've always wanted to play Sunshine.  Of course I would have loved Galaxy 2 and documentaries and everything remade in the Odyssey engine for less money because baby wants baba, but I'm not really understanding the whinging about this considering Nintendo (or any other source) never once indicated that this collection would be anything other than what it is.  The truly glaring thing to me is the limited time release, but even that has precedent with other Nintendo compilations, and at least you can get it digitally, unlike the initial release of the Metroid Prime collection. 

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Most Nintendo consoles and handhelds are backwards one generation at launch.

I suspect they've bought into the Switch hardware for another generation or two, so I suspect you'll be right, but I certainly don't trust Nintendo to do it.

And their only BC consoles are the Wii and the Wii U.