LeBron James opened a public school in Akron for at-risk kids

On Monday LeBron's "I Promise School" opened to help out underperforming and at risk kids. I think this is a really admirable act of public service and a really smart way to address a variety of problems. Here's a look at some of the ways that this new school is different. Overall I think it's fair to say that most of the unique elements of this school are things that have nothing to do with the curriculum. It's all about supporting the children and their parents to help alleviate the myriad issues outside the classroom that lead to poor academic performance and life outcomes. Things like longer school days and stretched out school year. GED programs for parents and on-site food bank.

Perhaps the most interesting part of this new school is that it's part of the normal Akron Ohio public school system. It's not a charter school or private school. LeBron's foundation is providing funding, but I think it's great that this is a part of the public system and not something apart from it.

• Thanks 1