Black Myth: Wukong (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (09/02): Xbox version delay reportedly due to "prioritization" of PS5 version

JPDunks4

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

- Dodge / rolling is a core mechanic

- Enemies repopulate when you rest at whatever the bonefire equivalent in this game is.

- Challenging deliberate boss fights

- Stamina gauage

- As I mentioned earlier surprise gotcha ambushes

This game has more in common with Souls games than just "it is hard"

I think they likened it to more like Nioh, which is also a soulslike

you also could have described Monster Hunter. This game is also missing things that make “souls like” games “souls like”. 

• Wrong 1

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The other two key component of being a Soulslike, is the lack of overt storytelling (i.e. using environmental storytelling).  Plus worldbuilding that requires/encourages deep exploration.

Does BM:W do these?

It doesn't but it's not a key component of souls likes, that's just a key component of the souls series.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Black Myth: Wukong - testing the PS5 version vs PC, plus an analysis of the three modes: performance, balance and quality. Digital Foundry investigates.

My concerns are more towards the game's modes and performance. Frame-rates are not high in general, but the weird sharpening in performance mode, the bizarre FPS cap in balance mode and the broken frame-rate cap in quality mode are all clumsy own goals that could and should be fixed in time. Similarly, the deployment of frame generation still feels a bit strange, and the lack of 120Hz, VRR and even HDR support unnecessarily hobbles the game for owners of high-end displays.

It's clear that Game Science has poured a lot of time and expertise into making a high-quality game, so I hope that these performance issues can be ironed out. My impression is that this is a PC-first release from developers that don't have a lot of experience developing for PS5, because a lot of the conventions and concessions that console games typically use just aren't here. Using UE5 probably does make achieving a good balance between performance and image quality more difficult, but there is certainly low-hanging fruit here that could substantially improve the experience in the here and now while more thorny issues are solved.

their verdict: not unplayable, but oof. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nobody is missing your point bro.. you're stating the obvious. It's your rationale I took exception to.  Clearly they don't care about anyone's opinions regarding this controversy... it's not like they imposed restrictions on streamers they send the game to or anything. oh wait...

You don't think there are talking points and agreements on ANY game that is given to a reviewer/streamer for free? Any streamer can buy the game and say whatever they want. If they want an advanced review copy they need to accept the tradeoffs. It's a free market, they can chose to define their marketing strategy any way they want. If you disagree, don't buy.

14 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

You don't think there are talking points and agreements on ANY game that is given to a reviewer/streamer for free? Any streamer can buy the game and say whatever they want. If they want an advanced review copy they need to accept the tradeoffs. It's a free market, they can chose to define their marketing strategy any way they want. If you disagree, don't buy.

Usually talking points are limited to the game itself, not weird political shit.

Also, anyone's free to express any opinion they want over this, if you don't like it, you're free to fuck off.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For what's it's worth, I've been hearing for months that this game isn't as "Souls-Like" as it appears to be.

Other than bosses being relatively tough, it's not souls like at all. It's definitely more god of war & devil may cry type experience.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

Turning off that GOD AWFUL vignette makes the game look so much better.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\b1\Saved\Config\Windows

Click on Engine.ini and add this to the bottom

[SystemSettings]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

Every time I wake my PC to relaunch the game it runs at like half the frame rate with bad frame times. As if Frame Gen isn’t running. I always have ti restart my PC. 

I got up to the White clad noble and I am just so annoyed. The input reading, homing and infinite range attacks, and overly large hit box for the weapon is just so annoying. 

also the two stages. I hate that shit. It’s cheap and lazy difficulty design. 

I will try him again tomorrow. I probably just need a break. 

I do find it funny just how poor the “story” has been. There’s just no motivation right now for the “destined one” or anyone else. …and the gary sue nature of the destined one has been a bit funny. Just a guy gives you this. A guy gives you that. 

The MC really should talk. It is such damn shame.

Finished Chapter 2. Shit is much bigger than Chapter 1. Also, way more confusing. There are so many paths that eventually lead to the same place. I have found myself behind locked doors that I discovered earlier that require a key, but now that I am on the wrong side of the door I can't use the key. The level design isn't really fun. I actually wish it was more linear, or that the paths were less wide. Shit really does need a map, if not for normal reasons than to clearly define where the invisible walls are.

Gameplay really hasn't changed or gotten more depth despite being level 42. I don't care for the stances either. With how much of the game is fighting bosses, I don't feel like the other stances really show their worth outside of a few gimmicks. What really sucks is that you can't just equip what you want. You can only equip 1 spell per spell-type. As in you can't have two Mysticism or Alteration spells equipped. Because of this, I'll prolly never use the parry spell.

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Usually talking points are limited to the game itself, not weird political shit.

Also, anyone's free to express any opinion they want over this, if you don't like it, you're free to fuck off.

Go Fuck Yourself GIF by Omni !

• Haha 3

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong - update (08/22): PS5 version is "fetching, flawed, but fixable" (Digital Foundry)
12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just decided to load up Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty instead so I can then get to Rise of the Ronin 

Just know that Wo-Long is a LOT easier than Rise of the Ronin... the parry mechanic is a lot more forgiving. I played Wo Long after having beaten Rise of the Ronin and had a pretty easy time aside from one or two bosses. The general consensus I saw online was that a lot of players had a pretty tough time going from Wo-Long to ROTR than the opposite.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just know that Wo-Long is a LOT easier than Rise of the Ronin... the parry mechanic is a lot more forgiving. I played Wo Long after having beaten Rise of the Ronin and had a pretty easy time aside from one or two bosses. The general consensus I saw online was that a lot of players had a pretty tough time going from Wo-Long to ROTR than the opposite.

Ah, much thanks, this is good to know! I feel bad skipping Nioh 2 after enjoying Nioh so much to go straight to Wo Long, but Nioh 1 was a lot of Nioh so hence skipping it. It does seem like Wo Long has a forgiving deflect window so I'll definitely prep for a ramp up when I get to Rise of the Ronin, which looks like a lot of fun (I know you dug it a good bit, which is a good sign). After beating all the FromSoftware games including Sekiro, I'm hoping it's not as hard as Sekiro. :p 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, much thanks, this is good to know! I feel bad skipping Nioh 2 after enjoying Nioh so much to go straight to Wo Long, but Nioh 1 was a lot of Nioh so hence skipping it. It does seem like Wo Long has a forgiving deflect window so I'll definitely prep for a ramp up when I get to Rise of the Ronin, which looks like a lot of fun (I know you dug it a good bit, which is a good sign).

Yeah everyone online says Wo-Long was a lot harder at launch but the nerfed it after players kept getting stuck on the first boss in the game. Game was very fun and the difficulty felt like it was a little easy for this type of game, but bosses were pretty challenging for the most part. Especially in the dlc's.

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah everyone online says Wo-Long was a lot harder at launch but the nerfed it after players kept getting stuck on the first boss in the game. Game was very fun and the difficulty felt like it was a little easy for this type of game, but bosses were pretty challenging for the most part. Especially in the dlc's.

Ah, that makes sense - I played it at launch and the first boss was definitely hard. I was in the middle of other games at the time so I beat that boss but then the game fell off. Haven't touched it since until now, I like a challenge (me beating Sekiro comes to mind, damn hard game) but I'll take the nerf. :p 

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

And what's your problem with Wo Long? Does it apply to all Team Ninja games or just Wo Long? Team Ninja isn't exactly doing the same thing FromSoftware is doing, so wondering what's up.

I have no personal problems with it.

53cf7794303a24c87b38f9b2dac3a149.png

That's enough to make me just pass over it and not ever bother with it.

That said, After playing Nioh 1, which I didn't hate, I just have no desire to mess with their souls-likes. I'm still Nioh'd out to this day. I think the same will happen with Wukong and Game Science.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have no personal problems with it.

53cf7794303a24c87b38f9b2dac3a149.png

That's enough to make me just pass over it and not ever bother with it.

So far, to me, Wo Long feels like an extension of Nioh in a good way - more dynamic, more additions in combat, etc. Those reviews feel off base to me, probably mostly associated with its difficulty and some graphics jank. Game is great so far, I mean, I'm playing it in lieu of Wukong since Wo Long seems better to me. :p