Black Myth: Wukong (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (09/02): Xbox version delay reportedly due to "prioritization" of PS5 version

JPDunks4

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So yet another PS5 timed exclusive that didn’t cost Sony a dime due to the Series S. 

I wonder if the frequency if this will increase over the next couple of years. 

Maybe they could change the rule so you can launch on SX without a SS release as long as the SS release is set to follow in 6 months or something :P

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Switch has a lot of cloud versions. I would hope a Microsoft cloud version would be better than a Switch cloud game. :p

Well, ethernet will help vs non oled model switch!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good I’ll be back in time for this. Going to be some insane looking back to back games for me because I’ll dig in to Hellblade 2 finally, this game which looks stunning and is also path traced on pc, and then Star Wars continuing Massive’s stunning tech work in Avatar and adding in dlss 3.5 and RTXDI.

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.VG247.COM

Poison swamps, bosses with upsetting multiple health bars, mimics that batter you when you interact with ‘em – Black Myth WuKong has it all.

So, Black Myth Wukong is not a Soulslike. Good. It’s more of a boss rush, something that – to me – feels more like a game at the intersection of Ninja Gaiden and Nioh than it does Dark Souls and Bloodborne. There are mega bosses tucked away in the margins (more on that in another article) and there is challenge for you if you want to pursue it, but the gooey center of the game is a sweet, well-balanced boss rush, padded out with gorgeous levels that teach you the intricacies of its acrobatic combat.

This game is going to be good; a solid action-RPG entry for people that like the Souls games, that perhaps want to decompress a bit after the intensity of Shadow of the Erdtree. Its timing is killer, and it’s got the chops to back it up. Keep your eyes on Wukong, folks, it’s got everything it needs to be one of 2024’s most surprising releases.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Leave your Soulslike expectations at the door for this journey through Chinese mythology…

The early section we played through was also absolutely rammed with boss fights. While an ideal environment to demo the game and give players a sense of the combat, at times it felt like there were literally 90 seconds between boss encounters. The lack of mindless mobs in between to practice on is a choice we’re conflicted about.

On one hand, is practicing on a simple enemy that does one readable attack all that helpful? On the other hand, the struggle up to a boss room is a time-honored staple of this genre. That feeling of making your way through an area with only the faintest glimmer of health left, only to be greeted with a huge health bar and a sense of dread.

We’re keen to see how this manifests in the full game, and how many of the game’s bosses we’ll be able to transform into. The game has nailed the visuals, and based on the PC version that we played, runs splendidly. Can it keep up the streak of incentive bosses we found in the demo for a full-length title? We’ll find out in August.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

I spent 90 minutes with Black Myth: Wukong and reckon it's certainly a bit Soulsy, but more of a compact action-RPG where generosity and spectacle shine.

You may or may not have seen Black Myth: Wukong impressions floating around as of late. Some claim it's not a Soulslike, or is merely Soulslike-adjacent. Some say it's a "boss rush" with a world that lets it down. Having spent 90 minutes with it myself, I'd like to add my ferocious take to the pile: you play monke = is good. But no seriously, I think no matter if it's a bit Soulsy or not, my key takeaway is one of relief. There's a lot more substance to back up the style than I thought there would be, alongside it feeling a lot more compact than the behemoth I envisioned in my head. All good signs for the complete package, which strikes me as living up to the crushing pressure of its number one Steam Wishlist spot.

Black Myth: Wukong certainly felt like a Soulslike to me. I say this, because it had the hallmarks of a game that was a bit like Souls, in that you control a Journey To The West-inspired monkey god Wukong who's armed with a staff and a penchant for bashing heads. It led me through some stunning forest sections, where I fought frogmen and crowmen and seven bosses all in a somewhat Soulsy way. I anticipated enemy tells, sipped on my Gourd (Estus) to replenish lost health, and periodically cursed my stamina bar. Any glinty loot or mushrooms, I could cash in at Shrines to craft potions or better gear, and they'd also act as rest and teleport spots.

Black Myth: Wukong isn't just a Souls clone, though. If anything, my time with the first chapter did indeed feel a bit like a boss rush, and when I asked developers Game Science whether they'd class the game as such a thing, they gave a resounding no.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong (20 August 2024) - update (08/08): "Final" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong (20 August 2024) - update (08/12): PC Benchmark Tool released on Steam

Yeah, whenever I turn on frame gen, the water and the reflections in the water look grainy or pockmarked. Like the water is being hit with falling rain. That said, I don't know jack fuckin' shit about frame gen and whatnot, but the visuals seem to look better when I used the recommended settings and frame gen turned on. When I tried maxing out everything and having frame gen on, I thought it looked worse. Don't know if it looks better because I demanding less from frame gen or if my eyes are just broken. Edit: of course, no frame gen + recommended looks even better.

93e05d66f9e8bd84edd69e4af18c7000.jpg

The real FPS killer is setting Super Resolution to 100. Well, and maybe ray tracing, but I didn't really try the tool with it off lol.

Overall tho, it's really hard to say the game looks good visually. 1. It looks generic as hell. 2. That vignette is so awful. It's overbearing. It's like telescope vision.

OK, maybe fuck ray tracing. I didn't notice a huge difference with it off. Went up to 75 average. But then I turned on frame gen and...

880c4ce044cfac0f8ba0281320af714b.jpg

I guess, 113 isn't that different than 90 but still. RT off lookin' pretty good.

• Hype 1

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

OK, maybe fuck ray tracing. I didn't notice a huge difference with it off. Went up to 75 average. But then I turned on frame gen and...

880c4ce044cfac0f8ba0281320af714b.jpg

I guess, 113 isn't that different than 90 but still. RT off lookin' pretty good.

No idea if this is relevant to this game or not but just an fyi on frame gen since it’s new to you, you always force vsync on in nvidia control panel globally and then set games to vsync off in game. With frame gen if say your default hz is 120hz, it should actually be running at 116-117fps if it’s working right.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

No idea if this is relevant to this game or not but just an fyi on frame gen since it’s new to you, you always force vsync on in nvidia control panel globally and then set games to vsync off in game. With frame gen if say your default hz is 120hz, it should actually be running at 116-117fps if it’s working right.

I didn't know that. Vsync was on in the tool. I will disable it and go thru ncp

• Hype 1

Eh, it didn't change anything. I have 144hz and I'm not hitting 140fps or whatever frame gen would knock me down to, so it makes sense that nothing would really change.

That said, I just changed the program setting in NCP for the benchmark rather than global settings. Doubt it makes a difference.

12 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That benchmark does seems like it captures how the actual game will run. Limited amount of creatures and a whole lot of slow panning nature. What we want to see is a frenzied boss fight, no? 

Bosses are going to be arena affairs most likely, and particles haven't been a performance drag in generations. The heavy motion blur may be too much for frantic scenes tho.

• Halal 1

I have an RTX 3080 so dlss frame generation isn't supported. When I switch to FSR I get horrible artifacting on the waters surface both with and without frame gen. Everything else looks fine, it's just the water. It's a bummer because I get almost double frames with FSR

51 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh man this is one nice looking benchmark. Game is going to be a stunner.

Eh, I still think it looks UE5 slop. But the gameplay matters for like 95% of the overall score.

• Sicko 1

First reviews are being released:

Game Information

Game Title: Black Myth: Wukong

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 19, 2024)
  • PC (Aug 19, 2024)

Developer: Game Science

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 73% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Gamersky - 奕剑者柴王 - Chinese - 10 / 10

Although Black Myth: Wukong's art and performances are world-class, the gameplay and action system are solid and interesting, and the content is abundant, its narrative and artistic expression are unique to players in East Asian cultures.

GamingBolt - Rashid Sayed - 10 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong delivers breathtaking combat, stellar production quality, and unforgettable boss fights. Its few quirks don't hold it back from being one of the genre's best games in recent memory.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 10 / 10

Hands down, one of this year's best action games - Black Myth: Wukong is a flurry of sublime combat and expert boss design.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 9.5 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong masterfully takes what makes a good Soulslike tick without selling its own soul, delivering what is the best action game of the year.

TechRaptor - Joseph Allen - 9.5 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is an absolute delight. Its gorgeous world, incredible enemy variety, and satisfying combat all come together to create an experience worthy of the Great Sage himself.

RPG Fan - Jerry Williams - 92%

A massive success from an up-and-coming studio, Black Myth: Wukong will hold your attention most of the way through with variety in gameplay, storytelling, characters, and level design.

GameBlast - Luan Gabriel de Paula - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is one of the most impressive debuts in recent years. I don't remember a small company being able to deliver a project as solid, polished and with its own identity as this one. The Game Science team chose a source material full of meaning and importance, applied their passion and experience and transformed a literary classic into an addictive, well-constructed game with a unique identity. Despite problems in the world design, in the writing of some characters and in underutilized systems, the game will certainly please those who waited so many years to finally make their journey to the West and face the dazzling wonders of the mythical world of Chinese folklore.

Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 4.5 / 5

Black Myth: Wukong is a phenomenal, enthralling and imaginative experience that’s a must-play for anyone who enjoys Chinese mythology.

INVEN - Dongyong Seo - Korean - 9 / 10

The game prominently showcases its distinctly Chinese story and visuals, and it nails them perfectly. The stunning action sequences that unfold within these beautiful scenes keep you constantly engaged, driving you relentlessly toward the next chapter, the next boss, the next item, or the next transformation—always eager for what’s coming next.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 90 / 100

Black Myth: Wukong is a fantastic game and lives up to its hype. It's an exciting but challenging journey with a distinct setting and approach. Souls enthusiasts might dislike the combat but will undoubtedly love the challenge. It may seem overwhelming initially to those unfamiliar with action RPGs, but the game's difficulty isn't overly demanding after you get beyond a few boss encounters. If you enjoy restless action and boss encounters, Black Myth: Wukong is the game you should definitely try.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong might have just created its own genre, by leaning heavily on tough boss fights while maintaining the fun elements of a more casual action RPG with unprecedented variety in both enemies and bosses. It is one of, if not the, best game of 2024.

PC Gamer - Tyler Colp - 87 / 100

Black Myth: Wukong blossoms with an eccentric cast of characters and expressive combat all wrapped up in the rich world of its source material.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù   - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Black Myth Wukong is an original and satisfying experience.

Gamer Guides - Ben Chard - 85 / 100

Four years since its initial reveal, Black Myth: Wukong is a great success. An engaging, cinematic story, a combat system with many options, and breathtakingly beautiful, this is one journey you won’t want to miss!

LevelUp - Luis Sánchez - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Although Black Myth: Wukong is an uneven game, its strong points overshadow the negatives. It is an intense combat experience that shines brightest during numerous and challenging boss fights. However, the level design leaves much to be desired due to its clumsiness and lack of inspiration, which sharply cuts off the feeling of exploration. Despite all this, it is a challenging and recommendable game for its unique Eastern flavor.

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is a video game with a brilliant and well-composed combat system, full of facets and things to see. It could very well be a new yardstick for the action genre, even if the inexperience of the team in some respects, also due to the amount of bosses within it, leads to being less enthusiastic than usual. Game Science's video game is usual, really solid, much more than I would have expected. The future of the team, hoping it is far from controversy and aggressive behavior, is well marked.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8.5 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong stands out as one of the strongest debut games released in recent times. While not groundbreaking in any way, it masterfully blends elements from several popular franchises to deliver an engaging action RPG experience that ranks just below the very best in the genre. Although stuttering issues and minor gameplay flaws hold it back slightly, these shouldn't deter any action RPG or action game fan from picking it up. The Journey to the West has rarely been this enjoyable.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8.5 / 10

After all those years of waiting, Black Myth: Wukong is a very good adventure game. Using a setting that rarely gets seen in the Western world makes the game intriguing, and that's strengthened when you discover all of the character background stories. The combat is just as varied as the environments you traverse, and while the game isn't as masochistic as other modern action games, it is difficult enough that a little patience and planning will still take you a long way in skirmishes. The presentation is amazing, but it stresses out even the best hardware at the moment. To optimize the gorgeous graphics in Black Myth, players need beefy hardware that can take advantage of various upscaling technologies. It is a worthy pick-up for patient adventure fans, and the title will keep players busy for quite some time.

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 80 / 100

Black Myth: Wukong is a very fun game. The story, visuals, and music all boast their Chinese origins, and the gameplay is addictive, with a combat system focused on customization and exploration that rewards the player. However, the PC version's performance is abysmal, making this great experience difficult to fully appreciate.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10

Though a mere optimisation and balance patch from meeting its full ambition, Black Myth: Wukong is a really great action RPG, almost standing as high as the rest. The story and world of Journey to the West and all its mythos translate incredibly well into an action game, providing immensely captivating creature and enemy boss designs and encounters. Serving as one of the most demanding games of its ilk for a while, both graphically and in combat challenge, you'll be well vested in Black Myth's world as you crush powerful mythic beasts wherever you go with fantastical magical abilities. This journey to the west is a journey well worth the wait.

Digital Trends - George Yang - 4 / 5

Black Myth: Wukong is only a Soulslike in the way Stellar Blade is, and that’s to its credit. It lightly borrows elements from the subgenre but carves out a niche for itself by focusing on its key differences. Despite some performance issues and frustrating difficulty spikes, Black Myth: Wukong’s frenetic combat and emphasis on fluid movement make it feel unlike any of its other contemporaries.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 8 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is an uneven game where the highlights often outnumber the lowlights.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

If one word can summurise Black Myth Wukong, it would be : generous. In both good and bad. Game Science's title is indeed a beautiful adventure paying a convincing tribute to the mythical Journey to the West. We really feel like a mighty hero of the Chinese legends, in an epic saga that crushes us under its majesty. For its first AAA game, the Chinese studio offers us a great show with a visible enthusiasm. Perhaps too much. Some way too grandiose boss fights are marred by a frustrating lack of visibility and a rather unbalanced difficulty. Nonetheless, we were truly pleasantly surprised by this Action-RPG mixed with Souls-like elements from China. For a first shot (with a stick) in the big league of games, Black Myth Wukong makes its entry with flying colors. Such a prospect is promising for the other ambitious upcoming Chinese titles.

GamesRadar+ - Austin Wood - 4 / 5

Despite some frustrations, Black Myth: Wukong feels great and finishes strong – so strong that I've half a mind to give New Game Plus a try, if only to find yet more stuff I missed.

Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - 8 / 10

I’d say that Black Myth: Wukong pretty much delivers on what it always promised: a gorgeous world where you get to battle crazy monsters and demons. It would be nice if there was a little more to do between the craziest monsters and demons, but if you want a game that will test you while giving you some nice scenery to look at, you’ll find it here.

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 8 / 10

Despite some frustrating technical issues, Black Myth: Wukong is a great action game with fantastic combat, exciting bosses, tantalizing secrets, and a beautiful world.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 8 / 10

It takes time for Black Myth: Wukong's combat to truly click, but when it does, this is one of the most creative action titles on PS5. One after another, its spectacular boss battles steal the show - a procession of memorable encounters that showcase the game's incredible artistry. As a whole, however, the experience is held back by limited level design and frustrating technical issues on PS5 - a damn shame, since Wukong is pure monkey magic at its peak.

Slant Magazine - Aaron Riccio - 4 / 5

Wukong excels at allowing players to feel increasingly like the Monkey King himself. This is an action RPG whose focus is less on punishing, labyrinthine environments and more on delivering precise, melee-based combat encounters that put the Destined One’s agility to the test.

TheGamer - Joshua Robertson - 4 / 5

It’s beautiful, frantic, challenging, and a delight to play.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 7.9 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong captures attention with its impressive graphics and the allure of Chinese mythology, but despite the visual experience and a promising combat system, the game suffers from several issues that prevent it from excelling.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 78 / 100

Black Myth Wukong falls a little far from the legend of the Monkey King due to a few mistakes and design decisions, but it manages to offer an action adventure especially designed for fans of souls and those who like to give ... firewood to the monkey.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7.5 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is an incredibly engaging and entertaining action RPG in many ways. While the overarching narrative leaves a lot to be desired, and the technical and balance issues can be a hindrance, the game still provides an epic, unforgettable gameplay and cinematic experience that not many games can rival.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7.5 / 10

The bottom line is this: adjust your expectations about Black Myth Wukong as a proper Soulslike, and jump on in if its setting and mythos interests you.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Murat Oktay - Turkish - 74 / 100

Black Myth: Wukong aims to present the classic story of Journey to the West in a more understandable and interactive way. The cutscenes found in each part of the game are fantastic, but traditional and mythological elements are sometimes presented in lengthy texts. The visual quality and boss variety is one of the strongest aspects of the game. Therefore, players looking for impressive boss battles will definitely be satisfied. It may take some patience to find the rhythm of Black Myth: Wukong.

GGRecon - Tarran Stockton - 3.5 / 5

Black Myth: Wukong infuses the cultural heritage of China, its rich mythology, and one of its most important pieces of literature with an action RPG structure that's as deep as it is grand in scale. However, this same scope leads to some inconsistency across the board that is a detriment to the overall quality.

GameSkinny - Diana Croce - 7 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is full of unique ideas and just as many missed opportunities.

RPG Site - Junior Miyai - 7 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is a beautiful, somber, fascinating tale to experience — you just have to muddle your way through a forest of problems to enjoy it.

Tom's Guide - Tony Polanco - 3.5 / 5

Black Myth: Wukong features stunning graphics, engaging mechanics and an imaginative setting. However, it's bogged down by odd level design choices and a few technical hiccups. Despite its faults, it's a solid action RPG that fans of the genre will enjoy.

Windows Central - Brendan Lowry - 3.5 / 5

At its core, Black Myth: Wukong is a good action RPG with excellent combat mechanics, phenomenal cinematic boss battles, and some of the best audiovisual presentation in modern gaming. Unfortunately, however, it's held back from true greatness by very underwhelming level designs, poor enemy variety, and a completely redundant gear system.

Eurogamer - Katharine Castle - 3 / 5

Its dramatic and spectacular boss fights just about keep Black Myth: Wukong afloat, but behind all its glitz and glamour is a frustratingly hollow and rudderless action game.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 3 / 5

Black Myth: Wukong is a game that shies away from the Soulslike label, yet it is clearly gunning for the Soulslike audience. It is far from the best in the genre, but it's also not the worst game that has followed in Dark Souls' footsteps. If you go into it expecting a mostly standard Soulslike experience with some blood-boiling boss encounters mixed in with basic level design, you will have a better time than if you were going into it expecting it to be like a traditional character action game.

Screen Rant - 3 / 5

While it has some exceptional features, including its visuals, combat design, and many extraordinarily exhilarating boss fights, as well as a compelling plot line, it is not enough to warrant a better score. Given that most of its shortcomings lie in performance, diversity, and wasted environmental factors that would have transformed it into something great, these are integral features that, at a fundamental level, all RPGs, especially soulslike ones, should encompass in their content.

TheSixthAxis - Jason Coles - 6 / 10

Black Myth: Wukong is a stunning game to look at, but the exploration is lacking, and the fighting is just sort of fine for the most part. It's just a bit uninspiring, and isn't a game that I'm expecting to stick with me for any length of time now that I'm done with it.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored

A beautiful action RPG that genuinely delivers a grand odyssey with style, a staff, and a very cool monkey.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Myth: Wukong (20 August 2024) - update (08/16): first reviews from OpenCritic posted