Supreme Court deals blow to felons in Florida seeking to regain the right to vote

8 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Can someone explain to me how the court decides which cases to take? I’ve always wondered this.

4 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

4 of the 9 justices have to agree to take a case for a writ of certiorari to be issued.

What Pikachu said.

But there is also a lot of wrangling behind the scenes because, for instance, with the current court the 4 liberals justices will sometimes pass up on a case they would otherwise take because they know/suspect they don't have the 5th vote to win.

On issues such as abortion the consersatives are likely to take the case anyway because they have a preferred outçome, but on some issues they will let the case lie.

Or, in other frustrating cases, the lower court will give a conservative decision. The liberals won't grant cert because they know they'll just lose 5-4 and now instead of having a 5th circuit precedent(bad) you have a SCOTUS precedent(much worse). 

23 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Though I disagree, I think the SCOTUS has kicked many of these voting related cases back to the states. This doesn’t surprise me. Unless it implicitly clashes with the constitution they seem fine to let the states decide how badly they’ll fuck up federal elections and disenfranchise voters. 

I mean, fundamentally, aren't states allowed to apportion the electoral college votes however they like? My understanding is that Georgia's state legislature could just vote to give all EC votes to Kanye West, if they wanted to.

So with that in mind (if that's the case), I could see how SCOTUS would basically see voting as 100% the state's issue, since there is no actual requirement for any vote to take place at all (or at least even if voting is required, the results of the vote don't actually matter if the state decides otherwise).

Someone correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Voting is so fundamental to citizenship that SCOTUS should have stepped in and immediately stayed any of Florida’s garbage disenfranchisement schemes that violate the new law approved by voters.

I mean, they should actually invalidate all disenfranchisement laws nationwide, but that would be a good start here.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Voting is so fundamental to citizenship that SCOTUS should have stepped in and immediately stayed any of Florida’s garbage disenfranchisement schemes that violate the new law approved by voters.

I mean, they should actually invalidate all disenfranchisement laws nationwide, but that would be a good start here.

Maybe if they wanted to vote as citizens they should have signed up for a stint in the Mobile Infantry.

*I just watched Starship Troopers last night

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, fundamentally, aren't states allowed to apportion the electoral college votes however they like? My understanding is that Georgia's state legislature could just vote to give all EC votes to Kanye West, if they wanted to.

So with that in mind (if that's the case), I could see how SCOTUS would basically see voting as 100% the state's issue, since there is no actual requirement for any vote to take place at all (or at least even if voting is required, the results of the vote don't actually matter if the state decides otherwise).

Someone correct me if my understanding is wrong.

You're correct in that States can require electors to vote however they like. This was recently at issue in a couple "faithless elector" cases, and SCOTUS ruled unanimously that States can do as they please.

However, that ruling has little to do with the constitutional amendments (15, 19, 26) that outline an individual's right to vote.

So there very much is a constitutional basis for SCOTUS to rule in a case like this one, and all we can do is speculate as to why they don't feel like getting into it.