I have my first ever 'night shift' tonight.

gamer.tv

As my teacher training has transitioned to being online, with a lot of schools not asking trainee teachers to attend, I've taken on a part-time job to build up some savings for impending fatherhood (alongside endless job hunting so I have a teaching job in September). 

To see if it's feasible, the company that I work for has started night shifts so certain workstreams are completed before the business day. So, from 1am until 9am, I'll be off working, get home, take part in a 5 hour lecture and then see how horrific I feel. I managed to get a sleep earlier (5pm - 9:30pm) so I don't feel too bad and I split my dinner over two parts, one before my nap and then one afterwards. The only really sad part is it's a 20 minute walk to work and it's absolutely chucking it down outside...at least I have a good coat. 

5 hours ago, Rachel said:

Do you regret procreating yet?

I'll let you know that one in three months. Work wasn't actually too bad, the lecture now though is horrendous. It's not that interesting (cognitive load theory and teaching biology to children) and I'm now hitting the point where I just want to close my eyes and let the sleep wash over me. I can't even have a snooze because the lecturer asks for some form of engagement every 15 minutes or so (group discussions, feedback, polls, quizzes or quick presentations)

I have been working Graveyard from 11pm-8am for the past year and a half and I have had to adjust me sleep schedule. I don't sleep the 6-8 hours straight anymore. I have just been taking naps through out my day. So I get off at 8am. Take a 2-3 hour nap till 12pm and then I go back to sleep again for another 3-4 hour chunk from 6pm-10pm. I just can't sleep while the sun is out. It's not ideal but it has helped me not go crazy.

7 minutes ago, The def star said:

I have been working Graveyard from 11pm-8am for the past year and a half and I have had to adjust me sleep schedule. I don't sleep the 6-8 hours straight anymore. I have just been taking naps through out my day. So I get off at 8am. Take a 2-3 hour nap till 12pm and then I go back to sleep again for another 3-4 hour chunk from 6pm-10pm. I just can't sleep while the sun is out. It's not ideal but it has helped me not go crazy.

Just buy a sleeping mask, super easy to fall asleep!

11 minutes ago, The def star said:

I hae one but doesn't work for me. I have thought about melatonin but haven't pulled the trigger on them since naps have been working just fine for me.

Well if you don't feel like shit I guess that's all that matters. :p

For the record I have / had been working graveyard for the past nearly 5 years

41 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My mom used to work 7pm -7am shift for the hospital. She found a good exercise after work helped her fall asleep. 

I might have to find a gym locally that is open, if there even is any right now, and try this. I suck at falling asleep since moving to a night shift. Melatonin, NyQuil, zzzquil, and whatever other sleep aid only keep me knocked out for 3-4 hours. After that it’s just in and out of sleep until it’s time to go to work again. 

Time to head off for shift #1, the worry is that I went to bed at 5pm, but I'm not sure if I slept of not (I don't remember falling asleep and there were random things on TV, but if not then I just lay in bed for 4 and a half hours, without moving. 

Either way, this will more than likely feel like a long one. 

52 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Time to head off for shift #1, the worry is that I went to bed at 5pm, but I'm not sure if I slept of not (I don't remember falling asleep and there were random things on TV, but if not then I just lay in bed for 4 and a half hours, without moving. 

Either way, this will more than likely feel like a long one. 

Good luck. I hope it goes ok for you.

Good luck, @gamer.tv

For what it's worth, I'd always heard that if you can't sleep within about 30 minutes, you should get up and do something. Maybe because in some people, lying there not sleeping tends to cause anxiety about not sleeping, which keeps you from sleeping, etc.? 

In any case, I hope you could sleep and you had a good first day (or night, as it were :p )!

• 2 weeks later...

I only had one shift this week and with my contract technically ending in 4 weeks, I contacted my manager and said that bar a few dates (birthday's, university things) I'm happy to work whenever. Wake up this morning to five, 1am - 9am shifts this week. I sense this will be one of those decisions where I'll need to focus on the fact that if I work this much, I'll have plenty in the savings account going into August/September and not on the destruction of my sleep schedule/how much school work I'll need to polish off today.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm going to work for the next two weeks and then that will be me. With that in mind, I said to my manager, when he asked when I could work, "put me in for whenever you need". 

Just checking this morning, working Monday - Saturday, 1- 9am. :tired:

At least I can hand my notice in on the 3rd of August. Though my reward for that will be planning for the upcoming school year and carrying on with landscaping my garden/decorating my house before it's baby time. 

Day five or six done today, with the same again next week...

To go on a tangent, I’ve been landscaping my garden and have removed 21 bags of gravel so far. Rather than pay money to dispose of said stone, I put them up for free on Marketplace and have people lined up for all of them today/tomorrow.

The downside is I’ve slept for about 45 minutes total trying to sort it out but it does feel like the life hack no one wants as I might stay awake now until about 6pm and then go to bed and see how that pans out (rather than sleep till three and then have a pre-work nap like i normally do)