Google has drastically rolled back diversity programs due to fears of being seen as anti-conservative, anti-white

One well-liked diversity training program at Google called Sojourn, a comprehensive racial justice program created for employees to learn about implicit bias and how to navigate conversations about race and inequality, was cut entirely, according to seven former and current employees. Sojourn offered its last training to Google workers in 2018, four current employees said, and by 2019 it was cut completely.

“One of the major motivations for cutting Sojourn is that the company doesn’t want to be seen as anti-conservative,” one Google employee familiar with the company’s diversity programming said in an interview. “It does not want to invite lawsuits or claims by right-wing white employees about Google discriminating against them.”

Melonie Parker, Google’s chief diversity officer, disputed the allegation that Google has scaled back its diversity and inclusion efforts. “We’re really maturing our programs to make sure we’re building our capability,” she said.

I don't even know what to say. The tech sector was a mistake.

I have a story somewhat related to this.

I work for a large tech company. I've been with them since 2012. Over the past 3-4 years, I've noticed a huge increase in diversity and inclusion trainings. Not just mandatory compliance trainings, but prominent keynote speakers at our yearly conference. I've really enjoyed the content, learning about things like unconscious bias and code switching. It's also been really powerful to hear from my colleagues and hear their own experiences of racism and prejudice.

About a year ago, we hired a new guy on our team. I like him well enough, but professionally, I don't think he fits. He's a good performer though, so I see why leadership likes him. Shortly after joining our team last summer, he sent me a Facebook friend request and I accepted.

Out of 300+ people on my friends lists, he is the biggest MAGA supporter out of them all. The things he posts are truly vile, and hateful. We're very lucky our team hasn't been affected by COVID-19, both personally and professionally. Right now, we're doing about 20-30 hours of work a week, but still getting paid 40 hours (we're hourly). There's been no cuts to 401k or matching, vacation accrual, nothing. We're are extremely lucky. It's largely business as usual. Almost daily he posts things about Wuhan Virus, and how this pandemic isn't real. The death count is inflated, and it's just a flu. The libs this and the libs that.

I can't help but think what was going through his head during our diversity trainings last fall. It truly makes me sick. My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands, but anytime I casually come across a post of his when scrolling Facebook, I take a screenshot, and save it to a folder on my phone. I've got about 36 right now. I doubt they'll ever be relevant, but who knows.

44 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Seriously, when are we as a country going to stop placating conservatives?

They don’t want to grow with the times? Fuck them. People like them need to go the way of the dodo.

Conservatives hate taxes, tech firms hate paying them. Shit like this isn’t stopping anytime soon. 

39 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Conservatives hate taxes, tech firms hate paying them. Shit like this isn’t stopping anytime soon. 

Also the tech sector has been enabling radical right wing thought for decades. When I was first exposed to online gaming in college, I was struck by how much casual racism existed in online gaming. Back then, in the pre-xbox live days where online gaming was primarily done on servers and consoles were nowhere NEAR going online yet, overtly racist screen-names were common. Neo-Nazism was proudly displayed and there was little to nothing you could do about it. Of course this continued online in the Xbox live days and I remember once when I received a racist in box message from someone I beat in a head to head match up and being so frustrated that there was nothing I could do to report this person for what i considered harassment on a platform that I was paying for. Having been around the tech sector, it's incredibly racist and mysoginist. Basically it's ran by grown up versions of the guys you played in Halo as a teenager who thought casually dropping N-bombs made them cool.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Seriously, when are we as a country going to stop placating conservatives?

They don’t want to grow with the times? Fuck them. People like them need to go the way of the dodo.

This country is showing what it is at its core. The sooner we accept that the sooner we can deal with it. The current climate isn't an aberration... it's people showing what is in their hearts publicly :shrug:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also the tech sector has been enabling radical right wing thought for decades. When I was first exposed to online gaming in college, I was struck by how much casual racism existed in online gaming. Back then, in the pre-xbox live days where online gaming was primarily done on servers and consoles were nowhere NEAR going online yet, overtly racist screen-names were common. Neo-Nazism was proudly displayed and there was little to nothing you could do about it. Of course this continued online in the Xbox live days and I remember once when I received a racist in box message from someone I beat in a head to head match up and being so frustrated that there was nothing I could do to report this person for what i considered harassment on a platform that I was paying for. Having been around the tech sector, it's incredibly racist and mysoginist. Basically it's ran by grown up versions of the guys you played in Halo as a teenager who thought casually dropping N-bombs made them cool.

I guess that explains why Jack doesn’t ban Nazis from Twitter.

He is one.

Just now, MarSolo said:

He is one.

I don't know if he is one... but he isn't as offended by them as you would think he would be because he's been around them his whole life. I knew a bunch of guys who I worked and went to school with who probably didn't consider themselves racist... but could be borderline SS Stormtroopers when they went online. I used to play a LOT of Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer back in the day. It and Unreal Tournament 2 and later the very first Battlefield 1942 game were my introductions to online gaming. They were also my introductions to how toxic and racist the online gaming community could be.

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I have a story somewhat related to this.

I work for a large tech company. I've been with them since 2012. Over the past 3-4 years, I've noticed a huge increase in diversity and inclusion trainings. Not just mandatory compliance trainings, but prominent keynote speakers at our yearly conference. I've really enjoyed the content, learning about things like unconscious bias and code switching. It's also been really powerful to hear from my colleagues and hear their own experiences of racism and prejudice.

About a year ago, we hired a new guy on our team. I like him well enough, but professionally, I don't think he fits. He's a good performer though, so I see why leadership likes him. Shortly after joining our team last summer, he sent me a Facebook friend request and I accepted.

Out of 300+ people on my friends lists, he is the biggest MAGA supporter out of them all. The things he posts are truly vile, and hateful. We're very lucky our team hasn't been affected by COVID-19, both personally and professionally. Right now, we're doing about 20-30 hours of work a week, but still getting paid 40 hours (we're hourly). There's been no cuts to 401k or matching, vacation accrual, nothing. We're are extremely lucky. It's largely business as usual. Almost daily he posts things about Wuhan Virus, and how this pandemic isn't real. The death count is inflated, and it's just a flu. The libs this and the libs that.

I can't help but think what was going through his head during our diversity trainings last fall. It truly makes me sick. My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands, but anytime I casually come across a post of his when scrolling Facebook, I take a screenshot, and save it to a folder on my phone. I've got about 36 right now. I doubt they'll ever be relevant, but who knows.

I have someone on my friends list that I keep tabs on as well lol. He is very anti Trump and usually has some hot takes about stories on the internet. Usually about racism or police brutality. Some of his posts you almost want to agree with him.... until the extreme anger and rage start coming out. I've known him for quite a few years and don't find him to be a threat in real life, but online it's like he gets powered up. Makes me wonder sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

He is one.

He just doesn't care about them. I Also, if he actually did something about them it would also take out some mainstream conservatives and that could upset some of his more conservative employees and investors. Same goes for Facebook. Same goes for Reddit. Same goes for all these tech companies.

In fact, I bet most companies don't care about it at all. How many make a lot of noise about it yet the leadership doesn't change? It's all platitudes and virtue signaling, I suspect the louder they are, the less they're putting their money where their mouth is. Oh, another white woman in charge of D&I telling minorities how they should care diversity and white male CEOs approving what kind of diversity is the right kind of diversity? Say it ain't so. 

4 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

In fact, I bet most companies don't care about it at all. How many make a lot of noise about it yet the leadership doesn't change? It's all platitudes and virtue signaling, I suspect the louder they are, the less they're putting their money where their mouth is. Oh, another white woman in charge of D&I telling minorities how they should care diversity and white male CEOs approving what kind of diversity is the right kind of diversity? Say it ain't so. 

Remember when Orlando Jones was fired for not writing the right kind of black by this toolbag?

spacer.png

(I've been dying to post this stupid picture again)

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This country is showing what it is at its core. The sooner we accept that the sooner we can deal with it. The current climate isn't an aberration... it's people showing what is in their hearts publicly :shrug:

I much prefer before Donald was their champion and they felt it was ok to come out into the light. I want them all to go back to shutting the fuck up and staying out of our world. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I much prefer before Donald was their champion and they felt it was ok to come out into the light. I want them all to go back to shutting the fuck up and staying out of our world. 

They were always "in our world". Just because they were quiet about it doesn't mean they weren't doing things consciously or subconsciously to express their racism. They were just more careful about being overt about it for fear of being called out on it socially.  Now they don't give a shit... but the racism was always there and minorities were not quiet about it.  We just dealt with it and tried to point it out when it was undeniable. But a lot of "well meaning white people" would inevitably tell you that you were imagining things, being too sensitive or misunderstanding what was REALLY going on. "It's not racism it's economic anxiety" or some other excuse/justification.  The thing is, racists aren't even trying to hide their racism anymore so their enablers don't really have much to stand on anymore.  That's why I say it being out in the open (again) might be a good thing because it forces this country to really confront the sickness that it has ignored for far too long and either deal with it or let it fester. It's a wake up call for minorities too.

20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They were always "in our world". Just because they were quiet about it doesn't mean they weren't doing things consciously or subconsciously to express their racism. They were just more careful about being overt about it for fear of being called out on it socially.  Now they don't give a shit... but the racism was always there and minorities were not quiet about it.  We just dealt with it and tried to point it out when it was undeniable. But a lot of "well meaning white people" would inevitably tell you that you were imagining things, being too sensitive or misunderstanding what was REALLY going on. "It's not racism it's economic anxiety" or some other excuse/justification.  The thing is, racists aren't even trying to hide their racism anymore so their enablers don't really have much to stand on anymore.  That's why I say it being out in the open (again) might be a good thing because it forces this country to really confront the sickness that it has ignored for far too long and either deal with it or let it fester. It's a wake up call for minorities too.

I would say that this flare-up of extremity, or transparency, is a sign this particular ideology is being cornered and lashing out. I think it's ironically a good sign ultimately. In the long-run, Trump is symbol of a dying, grasping-at-straws breed of ideology that can't survive in the long run. The world is changing greatly and it's the last, angry push-back people that can't accept that have among other things. That's my take on it at least.

I think for people more willing and open to new, to them, ideas and all there has been a rather rapid improvement of the situation towards the exact opposite side. Not specifically just in terms of race but using myself as an example, if I look back maybe ten to fifteen years ago, I know for a fact I called shit 'gay' constantly, everyone was a 'fag', definitely was way more prejudiced having come of age in pretty damn segregated New York (and that doesn't just go for black/white) and what not. Especially the past few years, I greatly credit the absolutely staggering idiocy brought further to light thanks to Donald Trump and his ideology with reevaluating many opinions I held in general, not just what I pointed out. I've taken a turn towards being pretty close to a straight-up Liberal while I was most certainly...I have no idea...nothing politically or a Moderate I guess prior. I'm hopefully getting my dual citizenship next year if all goes well and it'll be the first time that I can vote but also the past two years or so especially have convinced me I absolutely have to vote.

Edit: I got pretty high right before whipping this up so I apologize in advance if it's a dumb pothead rant