What are you playing today?

9 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Started Ocarina of Time.

Maybe the graphics and certain control have aged. But the sense of exploration and lovable, memorable characters? That's timeless.

The soundtrack is incredible too. 

Chipping away at Shadow of the Erdtree. Took a quick look at a guide just to see where I was at because I got a fight that seemed like it would be towards the end, and yeah, I had accidentally followed what was more or less the critical path, missing huge areas completely. So I’m backtracking a bit, but unfortunately I wrecked a couple quest lines in the process, not really knowing what I was doing. Classic Elden Ring stuff. :p

• Hype 1

12 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Ocarina of Time must have blown people's minds back in the day. It really is a technical marvel for the N64.

I got it on release day and my friends came over to watch me play. Everyone was blown away. It looked phenomenal at the time. 

On 9/10/2024 at 5:02 PM, CastletonSnob said:

Ocarina of Time must have blown people's minds back in the day. It really is a technical marvel for the N64.

Yes, but not as much as Mario 64. Mario 64 was the major “shock” to most people. Nobody expected to see Mario in 3d. OoT was beloved immediately, but not nearly the shock that Mario was. 

the other major shock of that era was FF7. Both its cutscenes/story and it being on a Sony console. I remember getting it at a midnight release we drove over 80 miles for. When we got back home and fired it up on what at the time was a very large tube tv, I think we reset and watched the opening sequence 3 times before we started actually playing the game. That is easily one of my best gaming memories of the PSX/N64 era. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes, but not as much as Mario 64. Mario 64 was the major “shock” to most people. Nobody expected to see Mario in 3d. Or was beloved immediately, but not nearly the shock that Mario was. 

the other major shock of that era was FF7. Both its cutscenes/story and it being on a Sony console. I remember getting it at a midnight release we drove over 80 miles for. When we got back home and fired it up on what at the time was a very large tube tv, I think we reset and watched the opening sequence 3 times before we started actually playing the game. That is easily one of my best gaming memories of the PSX/N64 era. 

You're absolutely dead on here. Great memories. 

So I finished PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo on Switch last night. I got all 6 endings but did use a guide to find the 6th as it wasn't entirely obvious which story segment had an undiscovered branch still (normally it's obvious for other stories when there is another branch). With that said I liked the game and the story overall, some of it was predictable and some of it was leading you in the wrong direction. If you're up for a horror visual novel I say give it a play, it's out on PC, Mobile & Switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormasight:_The_Seven_Mysteries_of_Honjo

Now to pick my next game to play. Probably will go with Sonic Superstars which is sitting in my back catalogue.

• stepee 1

If anybody is curious, This is the current state of my switch backlog. =/ I might ask the boards to pick which game I play after Sonic (it's in this photo but I just opened my copy). Also minor note before I get called out on it, I have two copies of Unicorn Overlord thanks to an Amazon screwup.

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

If anybody is curious, This is the current state of my switch backlog. =/ I might ask the boards to pick which game I play after Sonic (it's in this photo but I just opened my copy). Also minor note before I get called out on it, I have two copies of Unicorn Overlord thanks to an Amazon screwup.

spacer.png

Wow that's a lot of niche JRPGs.

I can't comment on any of those outside of Mario RPG and Metroid Prime Remastered.  But if you haven't played the originals yet... get on those ASAP.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

13 Sentinels

Yeah, I probably should. I know it will be a good one.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Wow that's a lot of niche JRPGs.

I can't comment on any of those outside of Mario RPG and Metroid Prime Remastered.  But if you haven't played the originals yet... get on those ASAP.

Mario RPG no, Metroid Prime yes. So I might have to consider Mario RPG soon (maybe do 13 Sentinels first then mario).

I’ve been playing the first Spyro remake via switch, which has been fun and I’m classic game design, both simple and confusing in equal measure. 

I haven’t had a chance to touch the PS5 and it’s getting to the point where I just don’t have time to really put into a home console (a moan I’ve moaned a lot). I’ll see if I can get up early tomorrow and get some time in/get some gaming in this evening, but handheld gaming is just so much more convenient. 

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I might try and finish it in easy mode.  Just power thru it so I can see the story. 

I had it on easy. I don't know what it is about it but I just didn't enjoy what I was playing. It looked like Vaseline was smeared all over my tv too lol.