What are you playing today?

1 hour ago, Best said:

@Bacon @Keyser_Soze @Biggie @Fizzzzle

Any of you guys play Tales of Arise?

Reviews are great and there is a free demo on steam. 

For a Tales game, it's not great. Tales of Berseria and Tales of Vesperia kick the dick off of it IMO. Still a decent game, but kind of forgettable. I beat it and couldn't tell you any of the characters names.

Don't you hate anime, though? I can't see you getting into the series at all if that's the case.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

For a Tales game, it's not great. Tales of Berseria and Tales of Vesperia kick the dick off of it IMO. 

But why would Rise have much better review scores compared to the two you mentioned?

41 minutes ago, Best said:

But why would Rise have much better review scores compared to the two you mentioned?

My personal theory is just a switch in game journalism. It wasn't cool to like Tales games before Berseria, now it is.

I've played almost every game in the series (Destiny II, Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, Zestiria, Berseria, and Arise). I would rank Arise fourth to last of the ones I've played.

Vesperia

Berseria

Xillia

Abyss

Graces

Symphonia (I replayed it a few years ago, hasn't aged great)

Xillia 2

Arise

Zestiria

Legendia

Destiny II

Apparently Tales of Graces is the next one up to get a remaster/Steam release sometime next year.

I should be careful to note - none of the games are *bad* by any means. Legendia is the only one I didn't beat all the way. But they do have a lot of animoo bullshit, so if that's not your thing, they're probably not your cup of tea.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Might play Resident Evil: Director's Cut on PS1.

I've never played a Resident Evil game.

If you really want to...do it. Orrr just play the remake and then RE2 if you really want to sample the original games. 

I'm hoping to get a bit more Elden Ring in tonight, though failing that, I'll see if I can get a few hours of Switch time in - to the point where I can justify maybe buying something new for it!

• Wrong 1

8 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

If you really want to...do it. Orrr just play the remake and then RE2 if you really want to sample the original games. 

I'm hoping to get a bit more Elden Ring in tonight, though failing that, I'll see if I can get a few hours of Switch time in - to the point where I can justify maybe buying something new for it!

Or I could play Beyond Good and Evil.

39 minutes ago, Best said:

Thank you @Fizzzzle for the breakdown of your favorites in the series.

I bought Vesperia for $5 so I'm about to check it out. 

If you don't like Tales of Vesperia, you won't like the rest. It's easily the best Tales game. Like it's not even close.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Never had any interest in it. 

Either did I until I played it. Stepee kept telling me to get it and I wouldn't listen. So one day he just bought it for me and demanded I play it lol. 

The game has a special place for me because it was one of the first games I played after my brother passed. 

4 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

@Best Just curious, what are your top 5 games?

My list is probably not popular but it's:

1) Mario 64

2) Zelda OOT

3) COD 4 (mainly the multiplayer

4) TLOU2 

5) TLOU 1

32 minutes ago, Best said:

Either did I until I played it. Stepee kept telling me to get it and I wouldn't listen. So one day he just bought it for me and demanded I play it lol. 

The game has a special place for me because it was one of the first games I played after my brother passed. 

1) Mario 64

2) Zelda OOT

4) TLOU2 

5) TLOU 1

Surprised that RDR2 isn’t on there 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Surprised that RDR2 isn’t on there 

RDR2 is definitely in my top 10. But I dislike making lists. It's way too difficult to pick 10 games after gaming for nearly 39 years. 

• True 1

27 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

I've never really made a favorite games list, but FF6 and Super Mario World would definitely be on it.

Unfortunately I've never played either of those titles but I have seen many top 10 lists with these titles on it. I mean I watched my best friend as a kid play and beat Super Mario World and I was in awe. But I never actually played it. 

Still on Creed Origins…. Finished the main quest and now its time to clean out the rest of the world map.

The main quest was a huge f’n letdown.. game ruining almost. So you go hunt the 4 targets for Cleo no big deal as its what sets you free on the map. I finished those and sure enough she gave me 2 more targets, again no big deal its an excuse to go explore more territories… BUT NOPE the game has other plans.

The game locks you into a set of mandatory linear missions where “everything happens. The new targets are served up and killed, Cleo tries to ally with Pompey but hes killed, she sneaks in and allies with Caesar, You help Caesar repel the “rightful” Pharaoh attack, Cleo and Caesar are in charge but have become enemies. Finally after all that some candy ass named “Flavius” is your real target (seriously Flavious is what my fatass says I whenever im shirtless by the mirror). Just like that im rushing towards the Endgame.

The momentum just pushes you to the end of the game where Aya (who sucks) and NOT Bayek provides the resolution to the story (admittedly the early days of the hidden ones is shown well).

How is it that so many “big moments” got glossed over and powered through in 30 minutes of linear gameplay.. the choices of the moments you actually play are odd. Apparently the Romans are the enemy and not the Pharaoh and Greeks who were slowly encroaching and oppressing the Egyptians.

I still love the game, just hate that it so badly crapped its own story. I definitely became an overpowered tank midway through the game. Bayek is an awesome character, he the setting and gameplay carry the weight the endgame dropped

I is done whining..

perhaps its time for Unity

I just went on a mini Eshop binge to make sure I have some games that I can play in the evenings, and then a little range in those too. I’ve paid for:

Ori and the Blind Forest

Balatro

Inside

Spyro Trilogy

I'm hoping for a balance of challenge, fun and indie…

I will be picking up Zelda at the end of the month but I may start to dip into the indie scene a lot more in the run up to the end of the year. Not only for a new job, but a new job within that job so gaming will be when I can grab a moment, rather than giving a load of time to. 

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I just went on a mini Eshop binge to make sure I have some games that I can play in the evenings, and then a little range in those too. I’ve paid for:

Ori and the Blind Forest

Balatro

Inside

Spyro Trilogy

All great games! Balatro kinda took over my brain for a while this summer, but the curse has finally lifted. 

11 hours ago, Best said:

1) Mario 64

2) Zelda OOT

4) TLOU2 

5) TLOU 1

Love Mario 64, but Galaxy 2 is far and away my favorite 3D Mario.  There’s even a remake of Womp’s Fortress in it!

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Love Mario 64, but Galaxy 2 is far and away my favorite 3D Mario.  There’s even a remake of Womp’s Fortress in it!

I absolutely LOVED Mario Galaxy 1. It was a masterpiece. Unfortunately when part 2 came out I was bored of the Wii and I never played it. But I understand that part 2 was even better so I completely understand your opinion. 

35 minutes ago, Best said:

I absolutely LOVED Mario Galaxy 1. It was a masterpiece. Unfortunately when part 2 came out I was bored of the Wii and I never played it. But I understand that part 2 was even better so I completely understand your opinion. 

If you enjoyed the more focused parts of Odyssey (ie: the Bowser Samurai Castle, the challenge levels, dark side of the moon), Galaxy 2 is basically that plus all the physics of Galaxy 1.  Compared the first game it also has a much better camera, Yoshi (with his own powerups!), cloud mario, more interesting bosses, etc.  It's also a deceptively difficult game on the whole, it pushes back way harder.

I enjoy the M64/Sunshine/Odyssey structure better, but still can't deny that Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario.

• Halal 1

17 hours ago, Best said:

Unfortunately I've never played either of those titles but I have seen many top 10 lists with these titles on it. I mean I watched my best friend as a kid play and beat Super Mario World and I was in awe. But I never actually played it. 

I'm guessing you don't have a SNES.