What are you playing today?

8 hours ago, Dodger said:

Shit is that one or a different one where the wife becomes a prostitute in Saint Denis. Either way game is the goat 🐐 

I'm not quite sure because Saint Denis hasn't opened up in the story yet. I only traveled there once on this playthrough just to check things out. 

And yea, after this recent run through the game I can safely put it in my top 5 games of all time. 

Finsihed Banishers this weekend so now I'm focusing on DLC for games that I bought. Started playing Dead Island 2, doing sidequests I hadn't finished before tackling the actual DLC. The first person combat in this game is no meaty, I wish the Elder Scrolls games would copy it.

• True 1

So Saint Denis opened up in the story now. Arthur was looking really rough starting chapter 4 so I went into the city to clean up. 

I got a nice buzz cut, trimmed my beard, got new clothes, a brand new extremely fast horse, new guns, and I'm now getting compliments from city folk.

The game is ridiculous. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:09 AM, Best said:

RDR2 still shocks me and amazes me with how the world and AI work. 

I had a bounty to collect from a farmer that couldn't pay up. I beat the shit out of him and told his wife and kid to fuck off. 

Well about a few days later while I was in my camp his wife shows up on horseback and pays off the debt to Leopold Strauss. 

I was laughing because the way she paid it and the dialogue that was going on was so realistic. I just so happen to be there for that interaction. 

I'm on chapter 3 and it still blows me away how incredible and diverse locations on the map can be. This has always been in my top 10 games ever but I think I'd put it in my top 5. 

Man I was so incredibly excited for RDR2 and got it day one and I just for what ever reason not get into it. I have tried a few times and the beginning just bores me so badly that I end up walking away time and time again. It's still in my top 5 games I must play as I'm sure it has to be good. I only made it out to where you set up camp after the whole snow winter starving intro in the game and I still just couldn't do it.

After seeing this game I am going to give this one more shot with a 20 hour window and let that be my final try to get into and beat one of the greatest video gaming franchises in history.

38 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Man I was so incredibly excited for RDR2 and got it day one and I just for what ever reason not get into it. I have tried a few times and the beginning just bores me so badly that I end up walking away time and time again. It's still in my top 5 games I must play as I'm sure it has to be good. I only made it out to where you set up camp after the whole snow winter starving intro in the game and I still just couldn't do it.

After seeing this game I am going to give this one more shot with a 20 hour window and let that be my final try to get into and beat one of the greatest video gaming franchises in history.

It absolutely takes patience but you really have to buy into the fact Rockstar went for ultra realism here. Even the way Arthur walks is extremely realistic and like in real life, really slow. 

I'm absolutely blown away to this day with the amount of detail put in this game. 

I personally find the gameplay and controls really good. The characters and story are movie quality stuff here and for any reason at all to play it you should just for the story here. It's tremendous.

Imo, it's a complete masterpiece and a 10/10 type of experience. 

On 8/5/2024 at 2:03 AM, Dodger said:

Shit is that one or a different one where the wife becomes a prostitute in Saint Denis. Either way game is the goat 🐐 

Haha you were correct. I just ran into her today while chasing a kid through the streets. She alerted the police and I had to get out of the city. Do you get to interact with her anymore?

• Halal 1

49 minutes ago, Best said:

Haha you were correct. I just ran into her today while chasing a kid through the streets. She alerted the police and I had to get out of the city. Do you get to interact with her anymore?

I can’t remember but I think there might be another one 

• Thanks 1

I finished Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and the Skybreaker DLC over the weekend.  Its a really good looking, but very average playing game.  The DLC doesn't add very much to the formula, it's basically "more" of the base game.

Just started BG3 -- played through the prologue and the first few areas.  I think I made the mistake of going through the first dungeon (dank crypt?) with just myself and Shadowheart, not recognizing I could have picked up a couple of extra party members if I had gone a different way.

I really recognize the Larian DNA in this game so far.  However, the complexity (number of spells, class choices, etc.) and the variety of dialog choices that seem to matter seem to be dialled up to 11.  Its easy to feel overwhelmed.  I am enjoying the first couple of hours though.

Graphically, the game looks "good", but would really benefit from Ray Tracing or a Global Illumination update.  

• Halal 1

I don’t want to make a new topic so using this one - you can’t play Nintendo Online stuff like snes/n64 etc without an internet connection, so not on a plane or anything? I thought it was a first time check.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t want to make a new topic so using this one - you can’t play Nintendo Online stuff like snes/n64 etc without an internet connection, so not on a plane or anything? I thought it was a first time check.

I’ve definitely played without a connection- but maybe it’s on a time frame? 

13 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve definitely played without a connection- but maybe it’s on a time frame? 

Oh jeeze yeah I just looked it up, it’s freakin weekly. They should either make it a month or add a damn option to access wifi at hotels etc. That I can use my hotspot for at least. Seems I missed a bunch of drops too, nice to see a lot of Rare stuff added.

I busted out the PS1 and Rad2x cables to play some PS1 games. I had fun but man my crapy old PS1 isn't in great shape. I only still have it because I got it for free from work years ago and it's modded. I'm going to switch to a slim PS2 I have but need to get a memcard pro for it so I can use freemcboot to bypass region lock. I could use one of my BC PS3 and I did last week but It was pushing out a lot of heat (needs new paste) and it's a test kit so I would like to not break it over a PS1 game.

To be honest, I know the emulation is shit (it can be improved via hacking) but the PS1 Mini works so well when you just want to play a few PS1 games quickly on a modern display. 

I was looking at recent releases to see if I’ve missed anything while I was traveling and surprised and how little I missed, picked a good time. Though tbf I picked up Anger Foot and NES Remix and have been playing those.

Especially NES Remix which has been my go to game because it’s kind of perfect for travel.  I’m super close to A or higher rank on all challenges but I’m at the point now where I can only unlock new challenges (I think I have 6 or 7 left) by beating really difficult ones or going for S ranks. I think it’s an absolute blast though and I’m surprised the crowd here is completely apathetic towards it.

Looks like the release madness will coincide with my return to the states starting with Wukong, which since what I’m starting to really be “homesick” for is high fidelity gaming, is just perfect as it looks mind blowing.

On 8/5/2024 at 4:02 PM, HardAct said:

My feelings exactly. I loved RDR and couldn't wait for this one. Only to find myself bored and uncompelled to keep trying to find anything that interested me. Maybe it'll click for me one day

Was playing some Pikmin 4 last night, really enjoying it despite the slow start. I keep thinking about it and wanting to have more time to devote to it without being distracted which is a good sign.

I’m pretty unfamiliar with the franchise and really don’t know exactly all I’ll be doing as the game opens up so that kinda makes it more exciting I think.

That, NES Remix, TTYD, And Monkeyball have been a really fun switch rotation as we end this final year of its main platform existence.

The latter of which, Monkeyball, I played the entire flight over here and made it actually a fun flight.I actually restarted it but for good reason. I’m gonna bump that thread shortly because important news on that one. But let’s just say, the ball is back baby.

I'm on a Rockstar binge. I can fully max out GTAV on my deck for 30fps or so. I'm assuming this is the "next-gen" version because it still looks very solid. I only beat this once back in 2014 or so. I'm a few hours in and it's addicting like most Rockstar games. 

I'm on chapter 5 in RDR2 so I'm focusing on that as well.

My Assassin’s Creed playthrough's hit a spot where I just was getting a bit bored. 

• Hype 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, stepee said:

I was looking at recent releases to see if I’ve missed anything while I was traveling and surprised and how little I missed, picked a good time. Though tbf I picked up Anger Foot and NES Remix and have been playing those.

Especially NES Remix which has been my go to game because it’s kind of perfect for travel.  I’m super close to A or higher rank on all challenges but I’m at the point now where I can only unlock new challenges (I think I have 6 or 7 left) by beating really difficult ones or going for S ranks. I think it’s an absolute blast though and I’m surprised the crowd here is completely apathetic towards it.

Looks like the release madness will coincide with my return to the states starting with Wukong, which since what I’m starting to really be “homesick” for is high fidelity gaming, is just perfect as it looks mind blowing.

Once I’ve moved and don’t have to be busy 18 hours a day, I can’t wait to do the same thing and just buy a load of releases I’ve missed over the past year. 

In the 60s is fine but the higher your levels are the easier a time you'll have. If you have Molulu's Charm/Moogle Charm (equip on Mog for no random battles), you can stack 2 parties with your strongest characters and put Mog and weaker characters in the 3rd party. Fight bosses with the stronger parties then leave the tower and come back with the weak party in a different slot. Most of the bosses are visible but you do get ambushed by at least one. If you want all of Strago's Lores, you may need to have him fight some of the bosses so even though he's weak you'll have to bring him along. If it's too hard, leave and go fight in the dinosaur forest and hopefully steal ribbons and get economizer/celestriads from brachiosaurs as you level up. Also do side quests to get any magicite that you are missing.

Trying to take a rest day for real since I still did 7 miles yesterday so hopefully checking out all sorts of stuff. 

But the star for today is of course Kitsune Tails which has serious GOTY potential so far after world 1. I think a lot of people are going to need to turn the voices off but otherwise so impressed and I had no idea the story is some kind of fury love triangle but at least it’s an all woman love triangle which you don’t see in action games much. And it’s all pretty fun, but the voices are pretty grating. 

But the best surprise is that it’s taking more from Mario World than I realized so it’s kinda somewhat or both a Mario 3 and World clone, like if a game came out between those two. Everything is on point so far with the feel. Besides going up and down pipes could use..idk something..something feels cheap about it, it needs more animation I think, and it’s not like this game is skimping on animation.

Going between Baldur’s Gate 3 and PoP: the Lost Crown.

PoP is pretty much the perfect deck game. Low key visuals and large graphical elements. Traversing the world is a lot of fun, even if I wished they were a little more clear on guiding me which way to go. It’s the classic Metroidvania dilemma - am I struggling because I’m doing the platforming badly or because I’m missing an ability?

• Hype 1

@Dodger I am on chapter 6 in RDR2 and I again ran into that wife who turned into a hooker. But it was extremely brief with her just saying leave me alone and ran into some house in Annesburg. So I didn't get the point in that but maybe something happens later. 

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Best said:

@Dodger I am on chapter 6 in RDR2 and I again ran into that wife who turned into a hooker. But it was extremely brief with her just saying leave me alone and ran into some house in Annesburg. So I didn't get the point in that but maybe something happens later. 

Cool let me know. At some point I’ll get started on the story on PS5. I still need to get two more MP trophies

• Halal 1

On 8/9/2024 at 2:54 PM, Best said:

I'm on a Rockstar binge. I can fully max out GTAV on my deck for 30fps or so. I'm assuming this is the "next-gen" version because it still looks very solid. I only beat this once back in 2014 or so. I'm a few hours in and it's addicting like most Rockstar games. 

There has only been one version on PC (yes, with updates).  "Gens" aren't really a thing for PC games.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There has only been one version on PC (yes, with updates).  "Gens" aren't really a thing for PC games.

So do you think the next-gen ps5 version would look better than the PC version?

On my deck it looks ok but it's definitely not the prettiest game.