What are you playing today?

I’m hoping to play nes remix tonight if I can access wifi via hotspot and it lets me use the US eshop. Oled display is scratched still but it is just one maybe half inch scratch and if it annoys me too much I have my rokid with me.

Almost to level 50 in Red dead Online for the dumb trophy. Should have it tomorrow. Then I need the two trophies that actually require other people, but I'm taking a break after I get this and finishing Ass Creed Mirage first. 

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m hoping to play nes remix tonight if I can access wifi via hotspot and it lets me use the US eshop. Oled display is scratched still but it is just one maybe half inch scratch and if it annoys me too much I have my rokid with me.

Oh. I guess 9pm doesn’t mean the game release like it does back home. So, 5am tomorrow :(

But I just saw Bo: Path of Teal Lotus came out so I’ll check that out! Got a 84 OC so far - anyone pick it up? @crispy4000 @Brian?

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah about that, it was annoying me too much not having a working oled switch. Today is supposed to be mostly a get ready to travel day but ended up searching for a repair place.

The cost was too high at any of them compared to just getting a new one and at least getting a new one lets me give the dock to my step Dad who has a broken one. And then I get a new pair of joycons. AND a usb c europe charger I can use in addition to my converter now! So it made more sense.

Finding an electronics store is hard here though. I guess Gamestop left last year. Now you go to Smyths. So remember, if you are ever in Dublin and need gaming stuff. Smyths. Anyway normally I don’t talk with people in stores but since it’s Dublin I did talk with clerk there and he was awesome. He had a ROG and I mentioned I have a deck and he was like why don’t you just emulate it lol. 

The store is cool too, it’s kind of like Toys R Us used to be.

Anyway long story short my new switch is up with my account and all and I’m downloading my key games I was playing (Paper Mario TTYD, Monkeyball, Epic Mickey, NES Championship) and two down two to go.

It sucks because switch doesn’t have a web browser so I can’t use hotel wifi and need to hotspot off of my phone so it’s slow.

Also I picked up Pikmin 4 because I thought it would be fun to buy a game in Europe and I don’t have that one and the box is cute so I’ll put it somewhere.

And I got a screen protector (which goes off first thing when I get back home but applied OK) and a case.

Oh and this is the case I got:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/brand/mario/pdp-gaming-slim-deluxe-travel-case-for-nintendo-switch-and-switch-lite-mario-escape/p/229454

I LOVE how it looks.

I picked up Far Cry 4 since it's the only major entry I missed and I'm enjoying on the Steam Deck. It's that perfect age of game that still feels largely modern but is old enough to run well at high settings on the deck. I have my normal complaints about it that I've had with any number of similar games since, like iffy stealth mechanics, overtuned random encounters, or the lack of fast travel spots on the towers. It would be so much more fun to travel to one of them and fly around, but whatever.

My biggest complaint is the animals. They're everywhere, complete bullet sponges, and crazy aggressive, but the worst of it is there's no warning. Playing on the deck I'm often playing without sound, and if you can't hear them you get no indication they're around. With human enemies you get a status indicator with direction, but if a pack of wolves or dogs or a freaking eagle decide to ruin your stealth mission, you get no visual heads up at all until they're on top of you.

Ok while getting prepared and pre-packed and all ready for tomorrow my switch is all set as my new primary console and I have the games I was actually playing atm downloaded and all of virtual console. Back to business! 

I have the dock and hdmi cables and an extra pair of joycons so if any french women want to play Warioware now i’ll be all set. 

Now that that is settled I’m gonna be playing all these switch games and checking out Pikmin 4 (this will be my first real Pikmin attempt) but first it’s finally World Championship time! Just started doing a few speedruns but I could see this getting super addictive. I’m hoping the title means there will be ones for other consoles :O

It is SO dumb you can’t just put a micro sd card on another switch though. So dumb. I have 377 switch games, it’s such a pain going through that list.

Plus side is I just noticed I thought the order seemed cheap and just now bothered looking at the receipt and I guess Pikmin 3 was part of a bundle offer so it was $48, and the case was free. Nice!

Made it to the final boss (I think?) in Revita.  Game continues to impress as the best rogue-like I’ve played that isn’t Hades.

Also been slowly progressing in Thimbleweed Park.  I think I’ll be playing more adventure games now as a parent, they’re much easier to pick up and put down than other genres.

Started Pikmin 4 last night and I could see this being a great late night relax game. It’s crazy good looking for a switch game and the production values are through the roof, I didn’t realize these had such a budget. Are these basic just subsidized by being Miyamoto’s pet project? lol

It does a good recap of the first three games (i’m assuming that’s what all that was) and I just got my orange doggy alien and he rullllleeees. 

I imagine all this tutorializing is annoying if you played the other three but I only ever played like 10 min of 3 back on wiiu so I need it myself.

• stepee 1

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I picked up Far Cry 4 since it's the only major entry I missed and I'm enjoying on the Steam Deck. It's that perfect age of game that still feels largely modern but is old enough to run well at high settings on the deck. I have my normal complaints about it that I've had with any number of similar games since, like iffy stealth mechanics, overtuned random encounters, or the lack of fast travel spots on the towers. It would be so much more fun to travel to one of them and fly around, but whatever.

My biggest complaint is the animals. They're everywhere, complete bullet sponges, and crazy aggressive, but the worst of it is there's no warning. Playing on the deck I'm often playing without sound, and if you can't hear them you get no indication they're around. With human enemies you get a status indicator with direction, but if a pack of wolves or dogs or a freaking eagle decide to ruin your stealth mission, you get no visual heads up at all until they're on top of you.

When you unlock all of the towers the minigun the becomes available makes the game easy mode. 

Anyway finally hit rank 50 in Red Dead Online and got the dumb trophy for it. Still have 2 other MP trophies but I'm taking a break. So back to Ass Creed Mirage for the weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@Best what are you playing on Saturday night?

I played 4 hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 today on my deck. I'm a complete mess and can't stick to one game. 😂 

I'm done gaming for the night and watching Catlin Clark at 830. 

• Halal 2

Just now, Best said:

I played 4 hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 today on my deck. I'm a complete mess and can't stick to one game. 😂 

I'm done gaming for the night and watching Catlin Clark at 830. 

Games are meant to be fun. Sounds like you are having fun. Play how you want.

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Games are meant to be fun. Sounds like you are having fun. Play how you want.

Yea sometimes I take gaming way too seriously and force myself to play certain things. I need to just enjoy what I'm playing and not worry if I beat a game or not. 

• stepee 1

Metal Gear Solid - the Switch collection was $20 on Amazon a while ago. I’ve been itching to do a series replay for a while now. Don’t know why I started now, when the remake of 3 is still not dated and 4 is only playable on a system I haven’t had in years, but I’m having fun. 

Back to Dead Space which is still not hooking me, mainly as it hasn’t done enough to make the loop feel fresh. I’ll keep putting time into it, but I can’t see myself going back to it after this playthrough. 

On 7/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, Best said:

I'm a complete mess and can't stick to one game. 😂 

That’s how I’ve been lately. I recently played Agony, Amnesia: Rebirth, Asdivine Kamura, Aspire: Ina’s Tale, Aurora’s Journey and the Pitiful Lackey, Dead or School, Evil Below, Kaze and the Wild Masks, Last Beat, Orangeblood, Raji: An Ancient Epic, Ronin, Trigger Witch, Wife Quest, World to the West and Young Souls.

I’m sticking with Young Souls for now, and I will go back to some of the other games that I liked after I finish it. But some of them I didn’t like enough to want to go back to. I like indie games, but they can be hit and miss. I often have to play several ones that I don’t really like before finding one that I do.

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s how I’ve been lately. I recently played Agony, Amnesia: Rebirth, Asdivine Kamura, Aspire: Ina’s Tale, Aurora’s Journey and the Pitiful Lackey, Dead or School, Evil Below, Kaze and the Wild Masks, Last Beat, Orangeblood, Raji: An Ancient Epic, Ronin, Trigger Witch, Wife Quest, World to the West and Young Souls.

I’m sticking with Young Souls for now, and I will go back to some of the other games that I liked after I finish it. But some of them I didn’t like enough to want to go back to. I like indie games, but they can be hit and miss. I often have to play several ones that I don’t really like before finding one that I do.

Well my dumb ass just downloaded your favorite game of all-time. Assassin's Creed Odyssey! I'm trying it on the deck in the next few minutes. 

3 hours ago, Best said:

Odyssey looks absolutely beautiful on the deck. It has been very fun thus far. I have read that leveling is an issue with this game. 

@Phaseknox Any truth to that?

You’ve played the game before and mentioned that you didn’t like having to level grind to do the story missions since you like to focus on the main story in games, but this game’s optional side content is really good and sometimes even better than the main story missions IMO. The game is designed so that if you complete all of the available side missions before taking on the next story mission then you will always be at or above the recommended level to do the mission.

14 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

You’ve played the game before and mentioned that you didn’t like having to level grind to do the story missions since you like to focus on the main story in games, but this game’s optional side content is really good and sometimes even better than the main story missions IMO. The game is designed so that if you complete all of the available side missions before taking on the next story mission then you will always be at or above the recommended level to do the mission.

I don't remember yesterday let alone playing this game. Ok, what you say matches up with what I've been seeing today. I actually died a few times today from an enemy that was only one level ahead of me. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

I don't remember yesterday let alone playing this game.

You don’t remember playing it? We talked about it a couple of times before. Remember I recommended playing as Kassandra, but you said that you didn’t like her so you played as Alexios?

2 hours ago, Best said:

Ok, what you say matches up with what I've been seeing today. I actually died a few times today from an enemy that was only one level ahead of me. 

I recommend playing it on easy, because it’s too hard on normal IMO. Easy is what I consider normal.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

You don’t remember playing it? We talked about it a couple of times before. Remember I recommended playing as Kassandra, but you said that you didn’t like her so you played as Alexios?

I recommend playing it on easy, because it’s too hard on normal IMO. Easy is what I consider normal.

I recall now doing these quests it's slowly coming back to me. And yes, I had to put the difficulty to easy.