What are you playing today?

Amongst everything else I’m playing this indie 3D platformer called Boti: Byteland Overclocked. It is a bit buggy at the moment; mostly with sound I find, but it’s a lot of fun and looks amazing for an indie game.

It’s Unreal Engine 5 and has ray traced reflections on top of that. If this is what this gen/UE5 has in store for indie platformers, I’m really excited for the future. The caveat is that UE5 does not seem to scale down well and there will be some adjustment on the lower end to catch up to it. I wouldn’t recommend this game unless you have like a 3060ti, even to run on low, unlike most indie platformers which can run on anything. The ROG can run it well at 40fps, but I don’t think it would run well on Steam deck.

It’s pretty cheap so if you want some fun platforming with some great visual design on top of some cutting edge tech (and have a capable pc) I’d recommend it. It’s coming next year to current gen consoles too and probably will play fine there too.

• Halal 1

Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 (Desktop)

Marvel's Spider-Man (Steam Deck)

Table Top Simulator (X-Wing) -- I've been trying to get 2-3 games a week of X-Wing IRL and on TTS (after not playing much for the summer).  I've started playing some tourney players (including members of the Canadian XTC team).  The skill level some of these guys have is insane.

16 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I've been trying to do some matchmaking but it hasn't been finding any other players. I might have to give up playing this if the game is dead.

I didn’t even know that it had multiplayer, I just thought that it was a single player game. Did you finish the single player campaign?

14 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

finally tried out Blue Fire which I bought ages ago when it was one sale. I like the look and the general feel but the platforming control is aggravating as hell. 

The level designs and layouts suck in that game, I was constantly getting lost and quit playing.

26 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I didn’t even know that it had multiplayer, I just thought that it was a single player game. Did you finish the single player campaign?

The level designs and layouts suck in that game, I was constantly getting lost and quit playing.

the lack of a map feature definitely blows, seems like a stupidly basic thing to overlook

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Decided to start the Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster. Never played this one in any form. Was gonna play it on my Steam Deck, but it’s borked and husband is reinstalling the OS. 

Are the remasters just visually better or did they tweak the gameplay? I’ve learned that I have the ability to actually finish RPGs, and want to, but I don’t want to go down the FF rabbit hole to find it’s too archaic for me.

57 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Are the remasters just visually better or did they tweak the gameplay? I’ve learned that I have the ability to actually finish RPGs, and want to, but I don’t want to go down the FF rabbit hole to find it’s too archaic for me.

They're still traditional RPGs, but there are QoL upgrades. Not having played any other versions of the first two games, I can't really go into detail what all was changed. I just looked up some videos on Youtube to compare.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Have you given up on Starfield or just putting it to the side for now?

I only got to Atlantis just to check it out. Starfield will likely be in December before I dive in besides a little bit here and there. Jedi, Spiderman 2, Sonic, Mario, Alan Wake 2, CP Phantom Liberty, and maybe some others will take priority. Just a busy season! I want to dive in Starfield when I can really engross myself in it without all these other shiny objects distracting me due to its scope. I’m actually very excited for it again.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I only got to Atlantis just to check it out. Starfield will likely be in December before I dive in besides a little bit here and there. Jedi, Spiderman 2, Sonic, Mario, Alan Wake 2, CP Phantom Liberty, and maybe some others will take priority. Just a busy season! I want to dive in Starfield when I can really engross myself in it without all these other shiny objects distracting me due to its scope. I’m actually very excited for it again.

Yea I understand the sheer amount of games is too overwhelming. I'm happy you won't skip Starfield. 

I started playing Remnant: From the Ashes and I was enjoying it, but it’s too difficult as a single player game. There’s just too many enemies rushing you at all times, and the bosses are bullet sponges with extremely long life bars. Usually devs tone things back a bit for the single player experience in co-op games since they know that the player is playing solo, but that isn’t the case with this game which is bullshit IMO. They shouldn’t allow a co-op game to be played single player if they’re not going to balance it properly to do so.

• True 1

58 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's awesome. Yet another game I have to tackle soon. I beat the main campaign and loved it so I'm sure I'll enjoy this a lot. 

It's fun, definitely worth the $10 if you enjoyed the main game.

I played it twice on the original version on PC but it's been a while. Feels like some notable changes to it, though I don't recall the original DLC super well.

• Thanks 1

I am playing Romancing Saga 3, which has a great story but is very much a product of very early JRPG design. Also working through FF3, as im going through the early games of the series with the recent collection. I only played 2&3 a single time and they were fan translations that I found on the high seas around the turn of the century.
On 9/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, stepee said:

Amongst everything else I’m playing this indie 3D platformer called Boti: Byteland Overclocked. It is a bit buggy at the moment; mostly with sound I find, but it’s a lot of fun and looks amazing for an indie game.

It’s Unreal Engine 5 and has ray traced reflections on top of that. If this is what this gen/UE5 has in store for indie platformers, I’m really excited for the future. The caveat is that UE5 does not seem to scale down well and there will be some adjustment on the lower end to catch up to it. I wouldn’t recommend this game unless you have like a 3060ti, even to run on low, unlike most indie platformers which can run on anything. The ROG can run it well at 40fps, but I don’t think it would run well on Steam deck.

It’s pretty cheap so if you want some fun platforming with some great visual design on top of some cutting edge tech (and have a capable pc) I’d recommend it. It’s coming next year to current gen consoles too and probably will play fine there too.

Thanks for that! I love 3D platformers, so I’ll definitely check it out!