What are you playing today?

More Spiderman. I could quite happily play it for about 10 hours straight, it’s hooked me in the right way. Sadly, with life, I have more like…30 minutes a day.

Resident Evil 3 (remake) and Doom Eternal both turned up today, so I’m set for a while with games. Not to mention, I have Skyward Sword HD to play and cash in the bank to get Metroid Dread at some point.

• stepee 1

Because of the dream thread I was upset again how Sega won’t fucking port Jet Set Radio Future or anything besides Sonic or Genesis collections.

Anyway, I know xbox emulation was long something too demanding but I figured come on it has to be easy enough nowadays and sure enough about 20 minutes of work later I have JSRF running on pc at 5760p 60fps and it seems flawless like it could be native! 

I don’t know how long it’s been the case, usually I prefer emulation on handheld devices though so I hope this works on Steam Deck as well. Im going to have to “rip” Toejam and Earl 3 now because FUCK.

If anyone else wasn’t aware we can rock awesome Xbox emulation now:

I went first to a youtube video and skimmed it but honestly it’s not needed to watch anything, it’s super easy as you don’t even need a bios. 

1) I downloaded cxbxr reloaded

2) I “ripped” JSRF to an un-extracted iso, perhaps one could “find” “their” already extracted rip in 5 seconds if they really tried to “remember”

3) Mapped my xbox controller in settings, it’s standard

4) Changed my resolution in video settings and clicked exclusive full screen mode

5) played it 

If you have isos and need to extract them look up Xdvdmulleter beta 9.7

Playing some random gamepass stuff and checked out the Ben 10 game. I’m not familiar with the franchise but I can see how it could make for s fun game with the different aliens and abilities but it’s too much a kids only game. It’s all flat with no real platforming challenges it’s mostly a time waster but seems pleasant enough a younger child might have fun. A game in the age range Ben 10 seems to be targeting could be like a real game though, we didn’t play stuff this simple when we were 10.

Tried Paw Patrol cuz you never know where a decent enough platformer may hide but na that’s just dog shit.

Playing more i am fish which is actually kind of a really cool game, sort of a cross between echo the dolphin and marble madness with a looney tunes ‘sleep walking on the construction site’ flair. Beautiful game too. Sometimes the physics betray fun factor for too long though. Was having fun in the third level and then it hits this part where you are in a cylinder shape instead of a round fish bowl and it’s just not fun and this section won’t fucking end. I’m just sitting at a checkpoint trying to muster the boredom resilience to push through again and hope the mechanic doesn’t return.

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

Playing some random gamepass stuff and checked out the Ben 10 game. I’m not familiar with the franchise but I can see how it could make for s fun game with the different aliens and abilities but it’s too much a kids only game. It’s all flat with no real platforming challenges it’s mostly a time waster but seems pleasant enough a younger child might have fun. A game in the age range Ben 10 seems to be targeting could be like a real game though, we didn’t play stuff this simple when we were 10.

Tried Paw Patrol cuz you never know where a decent enough platformer may hide but na that’s just dog shit.

I have a lot of questions…

15 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I have a lot of questions…

Mostly I finally got Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom and was thinking how sometimes a decent platformer can be hidden under a licensed kids game and these were on game pass under new releases so I tried them out and unfortunately neither was decent really.

Playing more Mafia DE on pc and the game is seriously gorgeous. I would easily put it up there with the best out there all around. Everything is great in it, outside foliage, city buildings, inside areas, lighting, reflections, car models, characters, and just the atmosphere of the time period they captured. They need to patch this for XSX/PS5, it’s a shame to have it limited by last gen consoles besides on pc, there is so much love put into this city.

I find it kind of funny that this is a remake of a game that came out the same year as Vice City and the quality gulf between this more obscure remake and Take Two’s largest franchise in GTA couldn’t be wider.

And Take Two owns the studio that made this remake! And Hanger 13 was left to work on some 50min project after Mafia 3 that ended up being canned. I just feel like if someone was paying attention maybe Hanger 13 does the Gta remakes instead of outsourcing and the remakes become a huge hit instead of widely panned?

Played Biomutant for a few hours today.  Having a love/hate relationship with the game.  It's fun, and I love roaming its world, but the missions are just so repetitive that I get burnt out if I play it every day. 

Now I'm playing Astral Chain.  Not sure what to think of it yet, the combat has yet to really click for me.  I'm not very far into it though.

Finished the Halo Infinite campaign, then I dug through my Game Pass games to find something I could play through quickly. I picked Superliminal, which I ended up playing through in just a few hours. Good game, though it walks a fine line between clever and annoying. 

Bouncing between Guardians of the Galaxy, Dark Alliance and Halo Infinite. I’m thoroughly enjoying all of them. Halo is finally fun again and I’m enjoying Dark Alliance a lot more than I thought I would. And I’ve already expressed on here how good Guardians is. It’s one of the rare superhero games that developers actually took seriously. Definitely a must play if you’re on the fence.

At my in-laws until tomorrow so I ended up playing 25 minutes of skyward sword hd. I do wonder, if Nintendo ever do another ‘traditional’ Zelda, I’d they’ll forgo the slow burn openings and try to make the first hour a hook for the game. Start in a war for hyrule sort of situation.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Anyone been playing Super People? A lot of it looks unapologetically PUBG, but the map is different and you get powers.

I tried to find it on Twitch and saw a ASMR channel of half naked people sucking on ears. Twitch got fucking weird

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Which Dark Alliance, the old Baldur’s Gate one or the new Dungeons & Dragons one?

The new Dungeon and Dragon one. It’s a 3rd person hack n slash. But the combat is pretty deep and it can be played solo or online co-op. I’m a sucker for games like this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nublood said:

The new Dungeon and Dragon one. It’s a 3rd person hack n slash. But the combat is pretty deep and it can be played solo or online co-op. I’m a sucker for games like this.

Me @JPDunks4 @ARZand @TomCat had a lot of fun beating this when it came out. Have they added anything? I know another character was in the works.

I'm playing Halo multiplayer and Resident Evil Village mostly today. Ready to be done with Village. Next up Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls 2 and Ghost of TSushima DlC. Would like to get another Dying Light run in before the next game comes out. Beat it on PS4 but own it for Xbox as well.

11 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

At my in-laws until tomorrow so I ended up playing 25 minutes of skyward sword hd. I do wonder, if Nintendo ever do another ‘traditional’ Zelda, I’d they’ll forgo the slow burn openings and try to make the first hour a hook for the game. Start in a war for hyrule sort of situation.

Played some more and completed the first dungeon. As a console game, I had little time for SS, but as a handheld game, it’s pretty awesome. 

played a little FH5, enough to get the latest season's cars and then finished up the main game of Horizon Zero Dawn. Now I need to figure out what to play next. Couple weeks ago I played a bit of Guardians of the Galaxy mostly just the intro level but it didn't grab me right away and also messed with RE Village...again didn't really grab me. They both seem like good games but for some reason just wasn't feeling either, though I know I'll return to the and restart and enjoy them at some point down the road. Now I need to figure out what to play next.

11 hours ago, nublood said:

Critics were really down on it when it came out so I just figured that it was a bad game, but I skimmed some gameplay videos of it since you said that you were enjoying it and it looks somewhat similar to The Lord of the Rings: War in the North which I like so I bought it. I’m a sucker for games like this, too.

8 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Critics were really down on it when it came out so I just figured that it was a bad game, but I skimmed some gameplay videos of it since you said that you were enjoying it and it looks somewhat similar to The Lord of the Rings: War in the North which I like so I bought it. I’m a sucker for games like this, too.

It was really fun with a group but I have no idea how you could solo this game. SOme of the bosses and encounters got really tough.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was really fun with a group but I have no idea how you could solo this game. SOme of the bosses and encounters got really tough.

In that case, I hope that it’s like other co-op games where they tone down the enemy encounters and boss difficulty when playing it solo.

8 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

In that case, I hope that it’s like other co-op games where they tone down the enemy encounters and boss difficulty when playing it solo.

I remember this being something reviewers pointed out that the game gets really tough for solo players at certain points. Maybe they toned that down with patches, but it was an issue when the game first came out. 

This past week, I booted up my PS3 Slim, and got back into FFX HD, which I hadn't played since March of 2015 if my save date is accurate. Was definitely further along in it than I thought I was, but still have many things to tackle. Just made it to Zanarkand Ruins, so look forward to getting the Airship soon, so I can revisit all the different areas where I missed stuff, or can now finally do. 

I'm sensing this'll be a year of the RPGs for me. 

On 1/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Me @JPDunks4 @ARZand @TomCat had a lot of fun beating this when it came out. Have they added anything? I know another character was in the works.

I'm playing Halo multiplayer and Resident Evil Village mostly today. Ready to be done with Village. Next up Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls 2 and Ghost of TSushima DlC. Would like to get another Dying Light run in before the next game comes out. Beat it on PS4 but own it for Xbox as well.

No new characters yet. Just Drizzt, Barbarian, Dwarf and the Ranger. I’m trying to do a solo run with the Barbarian and I’ve beat 7 or 8 areas so far. I do plan on starting a run with the Ranger because I’m missing my ranged combat. 

Chapter 5 on Lost Judgment. I am digging the story so far. The pacing is pretty good for a Yakuza/Judgment game. 

I am also playing SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated and I like it so far. It seems like only license games get ridiculous reviews these days. Gamespot gave this game a 2.  The biggest thing for a license game is nailing the license which this game does. If you ever wanted to spend time in SpongeBob’s world, this game is perfect for it. Add a simple gameplay loop that is engaging enough, you got a pretty good license game.