PS5 and XBSX dev kits are practically identical spec-wise according to new leak/rumor

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That 500 GB hard drive doe.

The two things easiest and most likely to change are hard drives and memory.  With the size of next gen games and the importance of fast load times I don't see how either side could go with 500 GB.  It will be hard for someone to just plug in a USB HD to the system and get the same incredible load times - and the cost to add more space at that speed would be large (at least at the start of the gen)

With the price of SSDs, I can't see a console getting more than ~500GB in the box at launch (upgradeable, of course) -- rumours have MS having a standard CFExpress port.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Is 5.5GB/S a "raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs” ?

It is ~speed of Samsung's new PCIe 4.0 drive that comes out later this year.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Is 5.5GB/S a "raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs” ?

I tested my 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe at 5GB/s. That seems to be about normal for Gen4 NVMe drives these days. I'm sure the drives set to come out later this year will be a little quicker.

10 hours ago, number305 said:

It will be interesting to see if they can even get manufacturing geared up to release these two consoles before Christmas.  Apple has already said they are having manufacturing issues related to Corona virus and I would expect things to get worse before they get better.  

Agreed.

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Why in the hell is the storage 500gB/1TB respectively when games average 50+ gB minimum, with many more nowadays going above 100gB!? We should be getting 2 TB at least. Also, makes you wonder if either company will come with some kind of proprietary HDD?

Probably because 2TB SSDs still aren't THAT cheap. I mean, a standard SATA SSD at that size is like $100 at retail and NVMe drives are twice that. That's got to be a sizable chunk of your budget when the aim is to sell a console for less than $500.