~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, Scott said:

This is my exact belief as well. I’m willing to believe we’ll have made great progress on flattening the curve in the next few months. Asia is getting back to normal. Italy is leveling off. Aid will be dispensed, and the trump propaganda machine will be running at full force convincing everyone that trump’s great leadership is responsible for any and all recovery we’ve experienced. Once the economy comes back, especially with rates at 0, shit will be booming and it will be one more weapon repub propagandists can use to tout trump, right in time for the election. I think at that point people will care more about getting back to normal life than removing trump from office. I hope I’m wrong. 

This is what will happen, and I will drink myself to death on election night.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Not at all - I am being completely direct and honest about how much I utterly despise it.

I hate the word mainly because it gives journalists and pundits, alike, a word they can use to avoid calling Trump a liar while feeling good about how technically right they are.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Reminds me of the company that bought up the old Theranos patents suing because one of the companies working on a COVID-19 test may be  infringing on their patents.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/firm-uses-theranos-patents-to-sue-company-making-coronavirus-test/

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Reminds me of the company that bought up the old Theranos patents suing because one of the companies working on a COVID-19 test may be  infringing on their patents.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/firm-uses-theranos-patents-to-sue-company-making-coronavirus-test/

The medical industry is full of a bunch of assholes, that's for sure.

• Like 1

"The Man Who Saw The Pandemic Coming"

For decades,  Dennis Carroll has been a leading voice about the threat of zoonotic spillover, the transmission of pathogens from nonhuman animals to us. Scientists are confident the current outbreak, which began in Wuhan, China, stemmed from a virus inherent in bats. In 2009, after years of studying infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Carroll formed a USAID program called PREDICT, where he guided trailblazing research into viruses hiding, and waiting to emerge, in animals around the world.

For a decade, PREDICT received annual federal funding of $15 to $20 million. In 2019, its funding wasn’t renewed. Carroll left USAID and formed a new program, the Global Virome Project, “to build on PREDICT’s scientific insights and experience,” he says.

In 2005, during the avian influenza, George W. Bush was on the phone routinely with leaders around the world about how to coordinate a global response. Barack Obama did the same in 2009 for the second H1N1 pandemic and in 2014 for the Ebola epidemic. You saw presidential leadership step up and act as a catalyst for forging a global way forward for a global problem. It has been absolute silence in this White House. I think the only reason the White House is even paying any lip service to this is because the stock market has gone into a free fall. So they’re trying to figure out what are the words they need to say to placate the stock market.

Because the Trump administration is only interested in America first. Populism here and across Europe and elsewhere has fragmented the global networks, which had been so instrumental in being able to bring together a global approach to problems like this. I’ve not seen any reports coming out of the White House that showed that as China was struggling to bring the virus under control, our president reached out to President Xi to talk about how to coordinate action. I’m stunned by the absolute absence of global dialogue for what is a global event. In Europe right now, you would never believe that there was a European Union. From where I sit, it looks like every country is making this up as they go along. Italy isn’t coordinating with Brussels. Brussels isn’t coordinating with Germany. There’s no coherent regional approach to this problem in Europe, even though they have a platform for doing it.

I haven’t left the house since Friday, but my wife and I decided to get out and take our son for a walk at the state Capitol. It was busy as ever.

The same amount of cars downtown, the same parking lots full, the same traffic, the same hustle and bustle.

It’s insane.

More confirmation that the aid package tomorrow will include a new program for the self-employed and part-time workers that normally wouldn't be covered. Canada will also be raising the GST rebate, will be waiving interest on all money owed to the government, and will be increasing the Old Age Security payments (safety net for poor old people).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-to-unveil-nearly-30-billion-economic-aid-package/

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

More confirmation that the aid package tomorrow will include a new program for the self-employed and part-time workers that normally wouldn't be covered. Canada will also be raising the GST rebate, will be waiving interest on all money owed to the government, and will be increasing the Old Age Security payments (safety net for poor old people).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-to-unveil-nearly-30-billion-economic-aid-package/

OK, we get it, you have actual leadership. Stop bragging*. :p 

* I'm totally kidding about you needing to stop, though sadly not the actual leadership part. :lol: :/ 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is a good way to ration/prevent hoarding of critical supplies:

We should start seeing more of this in America.

Besides being kinda funny, how is this practically different from just being normal and limiting it to one per customer?

A little tidbit on how banks would be "bailed in" if it is necessary again in Canada. Changes were made after 2008:

There are now rules in place to make a "bail-in" of the banks possible. People who own bonds issued by the banks would have their bonds exchanged for equity in the bank. Essentially the banks would have a lot of their debt written off but the current shareholders of the bank would have their ownership diluted.

• Like 1