~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

I'm so glad that I moved back to the US from Germany back in November. At the time I was mostly just wanting to be closer to family, friends, and my girlfriend, having finally grown tired of living in Germany... but now, I'm even more grateful I took the leap... facing this pandemic is a lot less scary when closer to friends and family and in one's own country. 

I agree. If we're gonna die, we're gonna die in the same shitty healthcare system!

thelma and louise remix GIF

Work was surprisingly calm. I work on a 40 bed unit and we're generally always at capacity. We kept a handful of open beds last night. I think there's 7 people in the whole hospital with pending tests, but none have been positive so far. Docs are declining to admit a lot of patients. Basically telling people unless it's dire, don't come. So our usual drug seeking crowd has been denied. Wish we could do that all the fucking time.

I was charge last night and I did have chase off some idiots who chose to ignore the 40 or so signs they passed informing them of visitor restrictions in place.

School closures in Houston have been extended through April 10th. Hearing lots of chatter from my contacts at one of the ISDs that the Houston area will not return to school for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is what I was trying to explain to my mom and dad the other night. We literally have to assume everybody has it.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

If someone contracts COVID but is never symptomatic, do they develop antibodies against it? Do we know that yet? Or does it mean that, like, you had antibodies already against a similar type of coronavirus?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no definitive data regarding immunities.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

School closures in Houston have been extended through April 10th. Hearing lots of chatter from my contacts at one of the ISDs that the Houston area will not return to school for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.

Richmond VA closed until April 13.

I just hope I can close on the 9th and move

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Christ, I can practically hear Keynes laughing his head off from beyond the veil of death now.

It seems like a dead idea, but I have always been attracted to running surpluses whenever the economy is growing and spending shit loads when it is in a recession.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It seems like a dead idea, but I have always been attracted to running surpluses whenever the economy is growing and spending shit loads when it is in a recession.

Keynesian economics was practically tailor-made for these kinds of "black swan" events because they allowed a government to have the reserves to spend like hell their way out of it.

Fun story, Danbury Hospital almost killed me. When I was 5 years old I got the flu and was admitted to Danbury Hospital instead of the Muscular Dystrophy Association certified hospital 2 hours away. The pulmonary doctor at Danbury Hospital insisted everything my parents learned about fighting pulmonary infections from the MDA hospital was wrong and instead just put me on oxygen, no assistive cough, no Neb treatments, no suction. He was also unavailable through the night and refused to consult MDA doctors (my local pediatrician had to come in at 2 am). 12 hours later I was on 100% oxygen and the pulmonary doctor told my parents "I don't know what to do". My Dad insisted I be transferred, a LifeStar helicopter rushed me to UCONN without my parents aboard (little scary for a 5 year old who can't breath). The pilot told my Dad don't try and race his helicopter, otherwise he'll have to pick my parents up too. I landed and the doctors there put me on bipap for the first time (I'm now terrified as they are shoving a mask over my face that's pumping air into my chest at high pressures). My parents arrived and 12 hours later I was off oxygen and in my wheelchair eating ice cream.  I saw the UCONN pulmonary team then on until I was 18, fuck Danbury Hospital. 

• Sad 3