~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

What we've learned from this situation is that the (western) world's people haven't had to make sacrifices for the greater good for too long, and don't understand the importance. IMO, bring back the old punishments from WWI and WWII for people who hoarded goods, etc, only in this case for breaking gathering limits, etc.

NSC says text messages about a coronavirus national quarantine are fake, there is no national lockdown

The White House has assured citizens that rumors being spread via text message claiming the government is due to implement a national quarantine in order to deal with the threat of the coronavirus are fake.

The National Security Council (NSC) issued a statement confirming that the texts suggesting that President Donald Trump will enforce a two-week period of national quarantine within the next 72 hours after evoking the Stafford Act are a hoax.

"There is no national lockdown," the NSC tweeted. "The Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] has and will continue to post the latest guidance on COVID-19."

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently a document has leaked from the UK government, they anticipate the virus and it's economic impacts will last through spring 2021. Who knows if that is what it will end up being, but it's definitely not going away in 2-4 weeks.

That's my prediction as well. Now you can feel secure.

I hope it doesn't get to that point, but it would be interesting to have Trudeau Jr. be the second Prime Minister to enact the War Measures Act in peacetime, since the only other example was his father during the FLQ Crisis. Things would have to devolve to an extreme to get to that point and I don't expect it. Fortunately conservative politicians in Canada seem to be taking this more seriously now (after initially scoffing) and everyone is working together.

32 new cases in Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-0

Not good, but also staying pretty flat, which is a hopeful sign.

EDIT:

• Negative -  8464
  • Currently under investigation - 1537
  • Confirmed positive - 172
  • Resolved - 5
  • Total number of patients approved for COVID-19 testing to date - 10178

At least a whole lot are being tested, and new testing sites are being set up for this purpose.

Someone from my facility has been self-quarantining all weekend, waiting to get tested. They crammed everyone into the break room to tell us this, because that’s how you want to hear that news (shoulder to shoulder with 100 people). They talked about bringing in people to deep clean the entire facility if the test comes back positive, and don’t worry because unless you were in direct contact with this person, you have a 0.5% chance of catching it. Sure, this all tracks. 

So it looks like Canada will be announcing strict travel restrictions at 1pm today. There will be specific airports designated for all inbound international flights.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm perfectly fine with these people being purged from the population. That is my only silver lining in all this crap, a lot of boomers will be removed. 

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

So it looks like Canada will be announcing strict travel restrictions at 1pm today. There will be specific airports designated for all inbound international flights.

I'm perfectly fine with these people being purged from the population. That is my only silver lining in all this crap, a lot of boomers will be removed. 

Yeah, I heard that Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal will be the only cities accepting international flights, and will be set up with intensive screening. However...I also heard that US flights are not considered international for these purposes, and will continue to be allowed nation-wide. :\ 

I hope that is not true.

All 50 governors need to agree to shutting down all non-essential businesses for the next 3 or so weeks, and prohibiting the gathering of more than 50 people in one place.  I'd rather it come from the states and not the federal government at this time. The federal government can and should shut down air travel though.

15 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I was watching the local news last night (that's how bad this is, so bad I'm actually watching the local news... yikes) anyway... so they were doing a story about how churches were closing and they were talking about one of those awful mega churches staying open and they were talking to a young woman about it and she said "we won't let the enemy keep us from practicing our faith!" and they just cut to the next story. I was like, what the fuck is that? Who is the enemy? What do you think is happening here you glorious little dipshit?

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

All 50 governors need to agree to shutting down all non-essential businesses for the next 3 or so weeks, and prohibiting the gathering of more than 50 people in one place.  I'd rather it come from the states and not the federal government at this time. The federal government can and should shut down air travel though.

They also need to agree to put a moratorium on rent and mortgages. Telling people not to work for a month and also make rent is stupid. However, I've only seen this done on evictions in the States, which doesn't really help. That just puts everyone behind on rent/mortgage a few months which could still lead to evictions when the moratorium is lifted. Not everyone is making enough money they can afford to pay their rent twice or three times over once they get back to work.

• Thanks 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I got this text from a couple of folks last night and I immediately smelled bullshit.

I actually never received this one. Surprised because my older sister is the type to get this type of text and send it out to everyone.

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah because Boomers are the only ones doing dumb shit amiright?

:rolleyes:

• Guillotine 1