~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

There's obviously a lot of testing we need to do, the second wave in the winter to worry about, all that stuff.

But I like that there's actually good news, that many countries are seeing huge drop-offs, and that the US may be past its peak (though many smaller states have yet to reach theirs). This shit was anxiety-inducing in March, and I know a lot of you were feeling the same way.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There's obviously a lot of testing we need to do, the second wave in the winter to worry about, all that stuff.

But I like that there's actually good news, that many countries are seeing huge drop-offs, and that the US may be past its peak (though many smaller states have yet to reach theirs). This shit was anxiety-inducing in March, and I know a lot of you were feeling the same way.

We now have to brace for companies all demanding that people return to offices when it's been proven they can work from home effectively. You know it's coming.

In a win for Big Tobacco, smokers seem to be underrepresented in hospitalized patients in France, leading to further research into whether nicotine could provide some sort of protection against the virus: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2020/04/24/france-testing-whether-nicotine-could-prevent-covid-19

Lol I'll believe it when I see it.

22 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In a win for Big Tobacco, smokers seem to be underrepresented in hospitalized patients in France, leading to further research into whether nicotine could provide some sort of protection against the virus: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2020/04/24/france-testing-whether-nicotine-could-prevent-covid-19

Lol I'll believe it when I see it.

Vaping ftw

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Remember when 60,000 deaths in the US by August was the good news? As of today the counted deaths have crossed 50,000.

He already shifted the goalposts so as of now, anything under a quarter million is remarkable and he saved millions, if not billions.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So if you've already filed in 2019 like I did and are eligible for a payment, keep trying the Get My Payment page at irs.gov, it finally gave me the screen to enter my bank account information today.

Turns out the IRS isn't making you pay anything back if you made more in 2019 than 2018 but they send out your payment base on 2018, right? Means I fucked myself out of $100 by filing for 2019 before the payment came. I'd be less bummed about it if I'd at least filed in February as intended. :(

The first cure wasn't much better i guess.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/24/fda-issues-warnings-on-chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine-after-serious-poisoning-and-death-reported.html

The peer-reviewed Journal of the American Medical Association released a new study Friday that said researchers cut short a study testing chloroquine as a potential treatment for Covid-19 over safety concerns, citing a “primary outcome” of death. Some patients developed irregular heart rates and nearly two dozen of them died after taking doses of the drug daily.

By day 13, six of the 40 patients in the low-dose group had died, as did 16 of the 41 patients in the high-dose group. Heart abnormalities were seen in 11 of the 81 patients. In addition, two patients in the high-dose group experienced ventricular tachycardia, a heart rhythm disorder.