~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A good read on how little we know about the virus: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

Basically, it kills through a variety of ways:

• Causes acute respiratory distress syndrome when it gets into the lungs, which appears to be the main source of harm
  • Causes cytokine storm in lungs in the healthy, where their strong immune systems overreact and cause resulting harm (strangely, this is why immuno-compromised may actually fare better)
  • 20% developed heart damage in Wuham sample. More (44%) developed heart issues of other kinds in another Wuhan sample
  • 38% in Dutch sample developed clots of varying sizes
  • Blood vessel damage, which may be why diabetes/high blood pressure patients fare worse
  • New symptom in younger, healthy people (including children) appears to be coloured lesions on feet (not from this article)

We still don't know why/how it goes after the heart or blood vessels.

My "concern level" about the disease ticked upward a notch or two after reading that article. 

I had a "reasonable expectation" that it would follow a similar pattern to SARS-CoV-1 from 2004/2005.  That expectation is all but gone now - this is a very different contagion.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

A good read on how little we know about the virus: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

Basically, it kills through a variety of ways:

• Causes acute respiratory distress syndrome when it gets into the lungs, which appears to be the main source of harm
  • Causes cytokine storm in lungs in the healthy, where their strong immune systems overreact and cause resulting harm (strangely, this is why immuno-compromised may actually fare better)
  • 20% developed heart damage in Wuham sample. More (44%) developed heart issues of other kinds in another Wuhan sample
  • 38% in Dutch sample developed clots of varying sizes
  • Blood vessel damage, which may be why diabetes/high blood pressure patients fare worse
  • New symptom in younger, healthy people (including children) appears to be coloured lesions on feet (not from this article)

We still don't know why/how it goes after the heart or blood vessels.

For a couple weeks I had some very noticeable, very frequent heartburn, making me chew ant acids after each meal and every couple of hours through the day. Also had some mild asthma symptoms at the end of it. It’s all been gone for a week now. 

normally I wouldn’t think anything of it, but with new Covid-19 symptoms being “discovered” over time it had me wondering if heart related issue could be a sign. That maybe I was experiencing symptoms different than some who get breathing issues. 

More than likely it was just a huge coincidence. Or maybe one day I’ll take an antibody test and they’ll tell me I had Covid-19. Scary times. I’ve never been so alert of any symptoms by body has gone through before. I think we are all feeling this. You have one dry cough and you’re suddenly conscious of every breath you take for the next several hours to see if it happens again. 

50 Canadian Senators sign joint letter asking Trudeau to implement universal basic income:

So far the government has rolled out new programs to cover almost everyone who is losing money thanks to the pandemic, but new groups keep slipping through the cracks and new programs keep being created. This is a call to wrap all of the programs together and make it universal in some capacity.

I wonder if this is being orchestrated behind the scenes to build to an announcement. Trudeau is soaring in the polls, there is no credible opposition, and the crisis presents the perfect opportunity.

5 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Alright, Coronavirus, we need to have a serious talk. Stop. You’re scary enough. You don’t need to keep finding new ways to kill us. You’re doing fine already. Settle down. You had us at Respiratory distress.   

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

...I don't know how much longer I can deal with this. 

I just want to go to the gym, and I want to get out of this stupid apartment.  It's weird:  I never saw myself as a social person, and I'm a huge introvert, but I so badly want to go out and see other people right now.

There's a big difference between finding socializing tiring and finding socializing completely unappealing. 

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

...I don't know how much longer I can deal with this. 

I just want to go to the gym, and I want to get out of this stupid apartment.  It's weird:  I never saw myself as a social person, and I'm a huge introvert, but I so badly want to go out and see other people right now.

You got anyone you can Facetime or Zoom with? Can you go for walks in your neighborhood? 

More info on the woman we now know is the first recorded COVID 19 death in the United States... weeks earlier than the previous death

A seemingly healthy 57-year-old Bay Area woman who "suddenly died" in early February has now become the first known US death related to coronavirus, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday. Patricia Dowd, who worked as a manager for a semiconductor company, "exercised routinely, watched her diet and took no medication," the newspaper reported. Rick Cabello, Dowd's older brother, told CNN she didn't smoke and was in good health. "She was an athlete in her high school days, she was always active," Cabello said. Her sudden death was a shock to family members. They all believed it was a heart attack, Cabello said. The report came after Santa Clara County announced Tuesday that tissue samples confirmed two people who had died in early February tested positive for coronavirus. One victim, who the county said died on February 6, was described as a 57-year-old woman while the other was a 67-year-old man who died on February 17. The county did not provide any more details. In a Wednesday news conference, Santa Clara County Department of Public Health Director Dr. Sara Cody said neither case had recent travel history that would have exposed them to the virus, and officials are presuming both cases represent community transmission.

They fully expect more deaths to be attributed to COVID 19 and that the current death count is an undercount.

Neither of the two victims who died in February had been tested for the virus at the time of their deaths because testing capacity was limited, Santa Clara County said in a news release Tuesday. Tests were only available through the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and were restricted to people who had a known travel history and showed certain symptoms. Both of the victims who passed away in February had flu-like symptoms before dying, county officials said.  Because there was continued suspicion by the medical examiner that these deaths were caused by Covid-19, the medical examiner sent autopsy tissue to the CDC for definitive testing," the coroner's office said in a statement. As the county investigates more deaths, it's likely that more will be tied to the virus, officials said. And that adds to evidence that suggests the current case and death tallies across the country may be significant undercounts.

Obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure patients dying at the highest rates, its like its tailor made for the US, lol.  Asthma doesn't seem to be a factor, and people needing hospitalization don't usually have a fever, which was considered to be one of the top indicators of the virus.

• Shocked 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/21/838794281/study-raises-questions-about-false-negatives-from-quick-covid-19-test

Researchers at the Cleveland Clinic tested 239 specimens known to contain the coronavirus using five of the most commonly used coronavirus tests, including the Abbott ID NOW. The ID NOW has generated widespread excitement because it can produce results in less than 15 minutes.

But the ID NOW only detected the virus in 85.2% of the samples, meaning it had a false-negative rate of 14.8 percent, according to Dr. Gary Procop, who heads COVID-19 testing at the Cleveland Clinic and led the study.

Based on his study, Procop said his hospital has stopped using the test to screen patients being admitted for care. The hospital also stopped using another test, called the DiaSorin Simplexa, because it only detected 89.3% of infections in his study, Procop said.

• Shocked 1