~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

There was a sizable portion of America who thought the Steve Colbert was actually conservative when he did the Colbert Report. 

*Including the Bush administration 

(And the best Whitehouse correspondence dinner ever came from it :p )

• stepee 2

31 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It's time for your daily reminder that Bill de Blasio is a goddamned moron:

When all is said and done, this man shouldn't have a career in ANYTHING, politics or otherwise.

I had no idea how idiotic he was until this pandemic as I haven't spent much time in the area since he became Mayor. Has he always been an idjit?

Harris County/Houston will be requiring masks for all people in public beginning today and running for the next 30 days. This is likely in anticipation of the State reopening plans that will be expanded Monday next week.

Ugh, with the cockup on DDing my Trump bucks, it's gonna be the end of June before I get my ~$1,000. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/04/21/stimulus-checks-schedule/#6677f577b840

If I would have known this would be an issue I would have just waited until I got my DD to file in 2019. I was originally supposed to file end of February, but then that fell through the cracks and I didn't wind up filing until the start of April.

A good read on how little we know about the virus: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

Basically, it kills through a variety of ways:

• Causes acute respiratory distress syndrome when it gets into the lungs, which appears to be the main source of harm
  • Causes cytokine storm in lungs in the healthy, where their strong immune systems overreact and cause resulting harm (strangely, this is why immuno-compromised may actually fare better)
  • 20% developed heart damage in Wuham sample. More (44%) developed heart issues of other kinds in another Wuhan sample
  • 38% in Dutch sample developed clots of varying sizes
  • Blood vessel damage, which may be why diabetes/high blood pressure patients fare worse
  • New symptom in younger, healthy people (including children) appears to be coloured lesions on feet (not from this article)

We still don't know why/how it goes after the heart or blood vessels.

• Thanks 1

Has this been posted yet? Because if it hasn't...angry bruce lee GIF

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics/rick-bright-barda-trump-coronavirus/index.html

The director of the office involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine says he was abruptly dismissed from his post in part because he resisted efforts to widen the availability of a coronavirus treatment pushed by President Donald Trump. Dr. Rick Bright had led BARDA, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, since 2016 until Tuesday, when was reassigned to a narrower position. He also announced he will file a whistleblower complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services' inspector general. "I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit," Bright said in a lengthy statement issued Wednesday. "I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science -- not politics or cronyism -- has to lead the way." He cited "clashes with political leadership" as a reason for his sidelining, as well as his resistance to "efforts to fund potentially dangerous drugs promoted by those with political connections."

• Guillotine 4

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A good read on how little we know about the virus: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

Basically, it kills through a variety of ways:

• Causes acute respiratory distress syndrome when it gets into the lungs, which appears to be the main source of harm
  • Causes cytokine storm in lungs in the healthy, where their strong immune systems overreact and cause resulting harm (strangely, this is why immuno-compromised may actually fare better)
  • 20% developed heart damage in Wuham sample. More (44%) developed heart issues of other kinds in another Wuhan sample
  • 38% in Dutch sample developed clots of varying sizes
  • Blood vessel damage, which may be why diabetes/high blood pressure patients fare worse
  • New symptom in younger, healthy people (including children) appears to be coloured lesions on feet (not from this article)

We still don't know why/how it goes after the heart or blood vessels.

Do you have a link on the last symptom?

23 hours ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/politics/trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus.html

Even in the infamous “what do you have to lose?” briefing he wasn’t saying it was a miracle cure. His position seems to me to always have been “some doctors have said this helped their patients so try it until something better comes along”.

So ........ About this

Looks like Fox News has given up on Hydroxychloroquine as well

Fox News has fallen out of love with hydroxychloroquine. After weeks of unrelenting coverage hyping the antimalarial drug as a potential game-changing treatment for the coronavirus, the network has all but stopped mentioning it on its airwaves. So has President Donald Trump. The quiet abandonment of hydroxychloroquine comes as studies indicate it is not an effective treatment against the coronavirus. A French study found last week that the drug does not help patients with the virus. And on Tuesday, a study of hundreds of patents at US Veterans Health Administration medical centers found that patients who took hydroxychloroquine were no less likely to need ventilation and had higher death rates than those who didn't take the drug.