~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The problem is he's been promoting it as some miracle cure, and the actual data says it's...not.

It's by far the least effective of the available treatments but it's also the most widely available treatment. People wanting to dunk so badly on him do not realize how widely it is being used right now.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

It's by far the least effective of the available treatments but it's also the most widely available treatment. People wanting to dunk so badly on him do not realize how widely it is being used right now.

I posted the tweet because it shows it is not a miracle drug like some Trumpites are claiming. That's not to say it won't have an affect on some being treated. However, is there are reputable data showing that it is effective at all for COVID-19?

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I posted the tweet because it shows it is not a miracle drug like some Trumpites are claiming. That's not to say it won't have an affect on some being treated. However, is there are reputable data showing that it is effective at all for COVID-19?

Nothing conclusive at all, but doctors are reporting some success. It's a stopgap, nothing more.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/04/07/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-nj-doctors-use-malaria-drug/2951640001/

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The problem is he's been promoting it as some miracle cure, and the actual data says it's...not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/politics/trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus.html

Even in the infamous “what do you have to lose?” briefing he wasn’t saying it was a miracle cure. His position seems to me to always have been “some doctors have said this helped their patients so try it until something better comes along”.

Its interesting to me that people have now shifted away from the idea that he was shilling for it because he had Sanofi stock once it was revealed that his holdings amounted at most like $1000.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/us/politics/trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus.html

Even in the infamous “what do you have to lose?” briefing he wasn’t saying it was a miracle cure. His position seems to me to always have been “some doctors have said this helped their patients so try it until something better comes along”.

Its interesting to me that people have now shifted away from the idea that he was shilling for it because he had Sanofi stock once it was revealed that his holdings amounted at most like $1000.

Unfortunately you can attribute any dozen malicious reasons for Trump to do something, and one of them is bound to be right. I would say his best reason for doing anything would simply be to increase his popularity, which could make him do something good by accident.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Hey $1000 is a lot for somebody that cashes 13 cent checks.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

His position should be shut the fuck up, get the fuck out of the way, and let the actual medical doctor's do their job. Anything else he shouldn't be doing. But he has the best brain 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

His position should be shut the fuck up, get the fuck out of the way, and let the actual medical doctor's do their job. Anything else he's touting should be irrelevant

This is where you say “yeah, I was wrong about that” and move on :p 

(And it is doctors who are prescribing these medications)

Could also be to pressure Gilead to make remdesivir more widely available.

Trump does so any things wrong that I can't fathom why people waste time hitting him on irrelevant shit. It weakens your position with independent voters.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I never put much stock (pun not intended) into the Sanofi issue, because the odds that he knew he owns Sanofi - let alone that they make the drug - are shockingly low, even if he has a team of portfolio managers at his disposal (because portfolio managers are dumb). The issue is that hydroxycholorquine was *clearly* a pretense conservatives were using to resist shutdown measures and control the public narrative (look at how hopeful this is, thank you Dear Leader!) The fact it became such a significant talking point on the basis of such thin evidence proves as much.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The biggest game changer in the history of medicine sounds like a miracle cure to me

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is where you say “yeah, I was wrong about that” and move on :p 

(And it is doctors who are prescribing these medications)

Doctors prescribing, sure that's fine, but that's not what he was saying, and he shouldn't be up there like the half rate used hot tub salesman with his pitch for his hot new game changer  (thanks @Keyser_Soze

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

Trump does so any things wrong that I can't fathom why people waste time hitting him on irrelevant shit. It weakens your position with independent voters.

This is always my thought when people latch on to the oddest imagined issue with a guy that has an endless stream of legitimately terrible actions.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The biggest game changer in the history of medicine sounds like a miracle cure to me

spacer.png

“chance to be”

Trump doesn't have the legal power to reopen states, you say? That won't stop him from trying.

Attorney General William Barr said the Justice Department would support legal action against states that continue to impose strict social distancing rules even after coronavirus cases begin to subside in their respective states.

In a Tuesday interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt, Barr called some current stay-at-home orders "burdens on civil liberties" and said that if they continued and lawsuits were brought, his department would side against the state.

"The idea that you have to stay in your house is disturbingly close to house arrest. I'm not saying it wasn't justified. I'm not saying in some places it might still be justified. But it's very onerous, as is shutting down your livelihood," Barr said.

Barr was asked what he would do with any governors who are "indifferent" to easing restrictions in their states. "We're looking carefully at a number of these rules that are being put into place," Barr said. "And if we think one goes too far, we initially try to jawbone the governors into rolling them back or adjusting them. And if they're not and people bring lawsuits, we file statement of interest and side with the plaintiffs."

• Guillotine 1

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

OH LOOK THE THING I SAID THAT TRUMP WOULD TRY TO DO, HE'S TRYING TO DO!

Good Lord, please shoot me.

It’s literally an article about how they can’t do anything so they will just join in lawsuits filed by people who can. Because there is no mechanism for Trump to make states open up.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s literally an article about how they can’t do anything so they will just join in lawsuits filed by people who can. Because there is no mechanism for Trump to make states open up.

Until the Congressional GOP gets behind him on it and insists on making federal money conditional on opening up.

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Lol a lot of hospitals right now have a combination of it plus Z-paks as their only option.

Word around some of the Mass. hospitals is that they're not using it for COVID anymore based on cardiac toxicity and the death rates being higher than no treatment. 

8 hours ago, Jose said:

Lol a lot of hospitals right now have a combination of it plus Z-paks as their only option.

And The National Institute of Health Recommends that this treatment SHOULDN'T be used

A panel of doctors and experts convened by the National Institutes of Health advised against combining two drugs that have been floated as possible cures for COVID-19, warning of potentially harmful effects. The COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel advised against combining hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and azithromycin, an antibiotic also known as 'Z-Pak,' outside of clinical trials. The panel said there is not enough clinical data to recommend either for or against the use of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19. If hydroxychloroquine is used, clinicians should monitor patients for adverse effects, the panel said, especially heart problems. 

The French are against using it too

On Saturday the Food and Drug Administration approved the use of two antimalarial drugs, hydroxychloroquine and a related medication, chloroquine, for emergency use to treat COVID-19. The drugs were touted by President Trump as a “game changer” for COVID-19.

However, a study just published in a French medical journal provides new evidence that hydroxychloroquine does not appear to help the immune system clear the coronavirus from the body. The study comes on the heels of two others - one in France and one in China - that reported some benefits in the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for COVID-19 patients who didn’t have severe symptoms of the virus.

When Trump was asked about the most recent studies tonight, he dodged the question

President Trump was grilled Tuesday about his flogging of an anti-malaria drug as a coronavirus treatment after a government-funded study showed it didn’t help veterans and was associated with more deaths. He dodged. “I don’t know of the report,” he said at the daily briefing by the coronavirus task force. “Obviously there have been some very good reports and perhaps this one’s not a good report—but we’ll be looking at it.”

• Thanks 1