~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 2/14/2022 at 6:37 PM, Jason said:

I bought some at home COVID test on January 18, tried to submit the claim to my insurer but their online submission system was failing so tried again on the 19th and got it in, now nearly a full month later the claim has finally gone from not appearing at all in my claims history to showing as "pending". Sure is a great system the Biden administration set up here. :silly:

I can afford to float the money, but way too many people can't.

Now it's showing as approved, but that they're only covering $51.31, and that I'm also on the hook for the sales tax of $8.15. The full EOB isn't available yet but for the before-tax amount, what they're saying I'm on the hook for works out to about 35%, which is my out of network coinsurance rate. For even more fun, this $28.21 they're saying is my responsibility does not seem to have applied against my deductible nor out of pocket max. :silly: I'll check again once the EOB is generated I guess but if this counted against the deductible then I would think they would have just said they're not reimbursing me shit but that I'd made progress of $79.52 toward my deductible.

Just really impressive what a clusterfuck this is, this is definitely not what people are going to go in thinking "your insurance has to cover 8 at-home tests a month" means.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Lol every once in a while I look back and chuckle at this. Their reasoning was that Canada is very wide on a map.

Criteria taken into account include supply deals, production constraints, vaccine hesitancy, the size of the population, and the availability of healthcare workers.

This was the actual criteria and when the study was done, Canada was doing abysmally in terms of vaccinations. 

Also why is he comparing US and Canada vaccination rates as though the Economist made this about some US vs Canada thing. They both met the metric the Economist set a long time ago.

Jeet is soooooooo bad.

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

This was the actual criteria and when the study was done, Canada was doing abysmally in terms of vaccinations. 

Also why is he comparing US and Canada vaccination rates as though the Economist made this about some US vs Canada thing. They both met the metric the Economist set a long time ago.

Jeet is soooooooo bad.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But he says things I want to be true

When the study was done, Canada didn't have it's contractual shipments coming in yet, which was why the country was doing "abysmal." Otherwise, once shipments came in, Canada fairly quickly overtook the US in vaccination. In any scenario where Canada doesn't get vaccinated more quickly than the US, the US would have also likely been waiting until 2022. Canada's contracts were solid and had priority over even European nations, and didn't rely on American production facilities (though did receive excess production from the US later on once US demand waned). Obviously if there had been other unforeseen issues then things could have gone awry, but the article/study was correctly mocked at the time for not being realistic, and of course it ended up being completely wrong.

Also, the map comment is a joke in reference to how people made fun of the way the report listed Canada's "vast territory" as one impediment to smooth rollout. In fact, remote areas typically received quicker rollout as it was handled directly by the federal government (most remote areas typically holding a larger Indigenous population):

AQTf2El.png

nIQEGXy.png

I’m not going to go dig through your posts bemoaning the initial Canadian rollout and your concerns that the country would remain well behind the US and Europe because those regions were going to steal the rightful deliveries of Canadian orders because we all know you said those things :p 

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

When the study was done, Canada didn't have it's contractual shipments coming in yet, which was why the country was doing "abysmal." Otherwise, once shipments came in, Canada fairly quickly overtook the US in vaccination. In any scenario where Canada doesn't get vaccinated more quickly than the US, the US would have also likely been waiting until 2022. Canada's contracts were solid and had priority over even European nations, and didn't rely on American production facilities (though did receive excess production from the US later on once US demand waned). Obviously if there had been other unforeseen issues then things could have gone awry, but the article/study was correctly mocked at the time for not being realistic, and of course it ended up being completely wrong.

Also, the map comment is a joke in reference to how people made fun of the way the report listed Canada's "vast territory" as one impediment to smooth rollout. In fact, remote areas typically received quicker rollout as it was handled directly by the federal government (most remote areas typically holding a larger Indigenous population):

AQTf2El.png

nIQEGXy.png

Do you have inks to the original study being mocked? Because that tweet sure didn’t have much besides a couple of shitweets.

The estimate was made in January 2021 so obviously things were still heavily subject to change. The prediction for the US and Europe was also wildly off. So why is he focusing on Canada? I guarantee you he had no idea that the study set widespread vaccination at 60% of adults being vaccinated. He’s a lazy tweeter.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not going to go dig through your posts bemoaning the initial Canadian rollout and your concerns that the country would remain well behind the US and Europe because those regions were going to steal the rightful deliveries of Canadian orders because we all know you said those things :p 

Oh yeah the initial rollout (in the first 1-2 months) was bad because our shipments were continually delayed. But it was pretty clear even early on that it was going to be done by fall of 2021. I was certainly concerned about delays, but not about fabricated nonsense.

Just now, Joe said:

Do you have inks to the original study being mocked? Because that tweet sure didn’t have much besides a couple of shitweets.

The estimate was made in January 2021 so obviously things were still heavily subject to change. The prediction for the US and Europe was also wildly off. So why is he focusing on Canada? I guarantee you he had no idea that the study set widespread vaccination at 60% of adults being vaccinated. He’s a lazy tweeter.

I should have just linked the old tweet, Jeet just reminded me of it since he retweeted it today. I agree that while he's entertaining (and quite good in his area of expertise) he just makes a lot of one-off comments that don't hold up.

Here's the article, the download can be found at the bottom, but you need to give a real email address (rest can be faked):

Jan-21.-Q1-global-forecast-cover-William
WWW.EIU.COM

The rollout of covid vaccines has started in advanced countries, but mass immunisation is as far out as 2024 for poorer economies.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I should have just linked the old tweet, Jeet just reminded me of it since he retweeted it today. I agree that while he's entertaining (and quite good in his area of expertise) he just makes a lot of one-off comments that don't hold up.

Here's the article, the download can be found at the bottom, but you need to give a real email address (rest can be faked):

Jan-21.-Q1-global-forecast-cover-William
WWW.EIU.COM

The rollout of covid vaccines has started in advanced countries, but mass immunisation is as far out as 2024 for poorer economies.

I read the article. That’s how I posted the methodology heh. I’m asking where it was widely mocked.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:44 AM, Uaarkson said:

Welp. Almost two years into the pandemic and I finally got the shit.

Follow up: my Mom, my little brother, and both my children all got it too. It was not fun watching the 3 year old writhing around bedridden with 102 degree fever for almost 5 days straight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Just your weekly reminder that all Republicans, even those in blue states, are pro-COVID.

umass-sign.jpg?w=1280
WWW.WWLP.COM

Members from the Massachusetts Education Department wrote to public and private universities last week to ease up on COVID-19 restrictions, and allow students to take their masks off.

The Baker admin is petitioning even private universities in the state to drop most of their COVID restrictions. These are all adults, so it has nothing to do with getting parents back to work or looking out for the children. They want mask mandates on campus to be dropped along with things like restrictions on off campus guests. What is the justification here when there are no economic impacts from COVID mitigating restrictions that only affect students and teachers while they're on campus?

42 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Just your weekly reminder that all Republicans, even those in blue states, are pro-COVID.

umass-sign.jpg?w=1280
WWW.WWLP.COM

Members from the Massachusetts Education Department wrote to public and private universities last week to ease up on COVID-19 restrictions, and allow students to...

The Baker admin is petitioning even private universities in the state to drop most of their COVID restrictions. These are all adults, so it has nothing to do with getting parents back to work or looking out for the children. They want mask mandates on campus to be dropped along with things like restrictions on off campus guests. What is the justification here when there are no economic impacts from COVID mitigating restrictions that only affect students and teachers while they're on campus?

The only good Republican is a dead Republican. 

• Sicko 1

700.png
APNEWS.COM

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to hear arguments in a lawsuit that sought to challenge Maine's COVID-19 vaccine mandate for health workers. Justices did not explain their decision in court papers on Tuesday.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to hear arguments in a lawsuit that sought to challenge Maine’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for health workers.

Justices did not explain their decision in court papers on Tuesday. The court had already turned down two emergency applications that sought to stop the mandate from going into effect.

Just had a bizarre encounter with a coworker. Every since they forced us back in the office at least 40% of the time, I've been wearing an N95 all day. I refuse to share air with some of my coworkers, lol. Anyway, our admin assistant likes to clean the office and she always wipes down door knobs with lysol, etc. So she is going person to person and asking what part of the bathroom door we touch when we close it. She said most people probably touch the door itself, not the handle. When I said I don't really pay attention, but I probably use the handle, she scoffed and said it's the most unclean part, that's why everyone touches the door itself, I responded with "well if everyone else is touching the door and I'm touching the handle, then aren't I the cleanest?" She didn't have a response. Then I pointed out that COVID transmission doesn't appear to really happen via surface, and that she should be more concerned with a good mask. I said this as she walks around scrubbing everything yet has a flimsy cloth mask on.

:talkhand:

• Haha 1
  • True 1

107007489-1643303810715-gettyimages-1238
WWW.CNBC.COM

The CDC said males ages 12- to 39-years-old should consider waiting 8 weeks between the first and second doses of Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said this week that younger males should consider waiting longer between doses of Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccines to reduce a rare risk of heart inflammation.

The CDC said males ages 12- to 39-years-old should consider waiting 8 weeks between the first and second doses of their primary vaccination series. Public health authorities in Canada found that the risk of myocarditis in men ages 18- to 24-years-old was lower when they waited eight weeks for the second dose of Moderna or Pfizer.

The CDC recommends that other eligible individuals wait three weeks between Pfizer shots and four weeks between Moderna doses, particularly the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
107007489-1643303810715-gettyimages-1238
WWW.CNBC.COM

The CDC said males ages 12- to 39-years-old should consider waiting 8 weeks between the first and second doses of Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines.

Well I got 4 and no myocarditis here, suck it CDC. 

• Like 1