~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also volunteers from OTHER states. We have a ton of doctors and nurses from all around the country who have flown in to the New york/New Jersey area to help out. Anyone who thinks that NY and NJ overstated the emergency here is either an idiot or has an agenda or both. These hospitals were at the brink here and now is definitely not the time to "open back up".

When we're shutting everything down again in August and September remember this... because NO STATE in this country has met any of the metrics that successful countries have in reopening their societies and economies, much less Trump's own guidelines. NOT A ONE. People advocating for opening back up are thing with their wallets now which is valid, a lot of people are hurting, but understand that that is what it is and don't try to downplay the severity of what we're going through because it suits your particular agenda. We are going to open up, more people are going to die than was probably necessary, and we're going to prolong this epidemic because this current generation of Americans is impatient and used to quick fixes... at least a very vocal minority is. The majority of the public thinks we're opening up too fast.

Some people are unwilling to make any sacrifices here which is the problem. China has its own issues but the people made sacrifices for the overall good.

59 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Some people are unwilling to make any sacrifices here which is the problem. China has its own issues but the people made sacrifices for the overall good.

Well to be fair if they weren't willing they had a tendency to disappear. 

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

I think most people are... it's that there are some very loud and influential voices doing their best to change that. I would NEVER have guessed that NY would have been able to be shut down the way it has and for so long, but people did it. Sure people are getting tired of isolating and are worried, but outside of those not grassroots protestors, most people in this country have been willing to do what's best. And the volunteers that have come to the tri-state area to help out from other states has really been humbling and inspiring.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think most people are... it's that there are some very loud and influential voices doing their best to change that. I would NEVER have guessed that NY would have been able to be shut down the way it has and for so long, but people did it. Sure people are getting tired of isolating and are worried, but outside of those not grassroots protestors, most people in this country have been willing to do what's best. And the volunteers that have come to the tri-state area to help out from other states has really been humbling and inspiring.

The problem is that as the whole thing drags on, even well meaning people get pretty disgruntled about the distancing, being couped up, worrying about their job, etc.

If you want people to sacrifice you can't just give them a pep talk in April, and then expect in May for them to be fine.

There needs to be political capital spent in increasing amounts equal to the growing amount of displeasure by the public.

Simply put, you need tp be able to go out and be the bad guy and say, "I know it sucks, but it needs to be done to save lives".

The problem is that Trump, at most, attempted this for a couple weeks and then when the situation called for more effort, not less, he got bored and gave up. He is even already quickly losing interest in trying to talk up the economic recovery which supposedly is the whole point of the sacrifice in lives! He is increasingly just going back to his grievences greatest hits. 80,000 dead by the end of this weekend, about 10,000 dead a week for at least the past three weeks with no signs of that slowing down, and he is complaining about Obama and Micheal fucking Flynn!

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also volunteers from OTHER states. We have a ton of doctors and nurses from all around the country who have flown in to the New york/New Jersey area to help out. Anyone who thinks that NY and NJ overstated the emergency here is either an idiot or has an agenda or both. These hospitals were at the brink here and now is definitely not the time to "open back up".

Localized shortfalls should be met with flows from unaffected or minimally affected areas, like with any natural disaster. Same thing happens when a hurricane knocks out power to millions of people in one or two states, linemen from other states come in to assist with the spike in demand.

That has nothing to do with overstating the emergency.

48 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

we're going to prolong this epidemic

Lockdowns prolong it, not reopening. What do you think flatter curves mean? The area under the curve is the same, you just spread it over a longer period. As long as we aren’t losing people to healthcare capacity shortages, you’re looking at the same death toll unless we develop a vaccine or treatment in absolute record time.

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The problem is that as the whole thing drags on, even well meaning people get pretty disgruntled about the distancing, being couped up, worrying about their job, etc.

If you want people to sacrifice you can't just give them a pep talk in April, and then expect in May for them to be fine.

There needs to be political capital spent in increasing amounts equal to the growing amount of displeasure by the public.

Simply put, you need tp be able to go out and be the bad guy and say, "I know it sucks, but it needs to be done to save lives".

The problem is that Trump, at most, attempted this for a couple weeks and then when the situation called for more effort, not less, he got bored and gave up. He is even already quickly losing interest in trying to talk up the economic recovery which supposedly is the whole point of the sacrifice in lives! He is increasingly just going back to his grievences greatest hits. 80,000 dead by the end of this weekend, about 10,000 dead a week for at least the past three weeks with no signs of that slowing down, and he is complaining about Obama and Micheal fucking Flynn!

he's also appealing to the very worse aspects of human nature, selfishness, greed, fear... rather than being an inspiring leader and pulling us together he's still trafficking in divisiveness and self interest. It''s really his only play and his go to move. This thing can get MUCH worse than it has because we have a failure of leadership at the very top. Governors and local government seem to be the ones holding everything together at the moment. Washington? not so much.

2 hours ago, emalider said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2020-04-24/traffic-jams-border-while-officials-in-both-countries-examine-coronavirus-spikes%3F_amp%3Dtrue

There was discussion in the last page about shortages. I can't speak for other areas in the US but south San Diego is currently going through a crisis. Tijuana is a major hot spot and the impact is starting to be felt across the border. One of the hospitals has converted at least one step down unit into a covid icu. There's active transfers of patients to help offload the volume of covid patients. There's already a shortage or anticipated shortage of thermometer probe covers, IV tube extensions, and medications (ex propofol) in my area. There's a huge focus on PPE (100% understandable) but the increasing demand for one-time use supplies, medications, and equipment like PAPRs is being overlooked (imo).

My wife actually works in admin at one of the hospitals mentioned in that article. They got a sudden surge two weekends ago and can't pinpoint why. Some think it's the border, others don't know. It's weird how the Southbay is getting hit so hard, but maybe not so weird given how the activity at the border has noticeably picked up in the last couple of weeks. That said, I don't think they are at capacity and hopefully they will never get there.  

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Localized shortfalls should be met with flows from unaffected or minimally affected areas, like with any natural disaster. Same thing happens when a hurricane knocks out power to millions of people in one or two states, linemen from other states come in to assist with the spike in demand. What happens when everyone is hit hard at once? Then what? Those voluneteers were able to come from other states because their areas hadn't been hit hard... YET. 

That has nothing to do with overstating the emergency.

Lockdowns prolong it, not reopening. What do you think flatter curves mean? The area under the curve is the same, you just spread it over a longer period. As long as we aren’t losing people to healthcare capacity shortages, you’re looking at the same death toll unless we develop a vaccine or treatment in absolute record time.  The Lockdown and social distancing efforts kept MORE people from getting infected which then kept the healthcare system from being overtaxed. It's only because we basically shut society down that the healthcare system wasn't overwhelmed. 

New York City shut down completely... I don't know if people who have never lived here can appreciate what that truly means. Street that are normally teeming with millions of people daily are virtually empty. Even with that, the city's healthcare system was nearly overwhelmed. Thankfully it didn't happen, but it didn't happen largely because the public complied with the quarantine measures more than models had anticipated. Not just in NY but across the country. If we don't continue to do what we've been doing that has been successful then we are GOING to see a spike. It's not like history doesn't have a precedent... in the flu pandemic of 1918, some cities opened up too soon and saw a spike, others didn't and fared better. We refuse to learn from history but :shrug: 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

New York City shut down completely... I don't know if people who have never lived here can appreciate what that truly means. Street that are normally teeming with millions of people daily are virtually empty. Even with that, the city's healthcare system was nearly overwhelmed. Thankfully it didn't happen, but it didn't happen largely because the public complied with the quarantine measures more than models had anticipated. Not just in NY but across the country. If we don't continue to do what we've been doing that has been successful then we are GOING to see a spike. It's not like history doesn't have a precedent... in the flu pandemic of 1918, some cities opened up too soon and saw a spike, others didn't and fared better. We refuse to learn from history but :shrug: 

There is no basis for the idea that everywhere would be affected the same and at the same time. It didn’t happen, and states that haven’t gone to the lengths NY did never got hit as hard and there is no evidence to suggest they will. Outbreaks are naturally asynchronous.

Spikes will happen, that doesn’t address whether or not more people will die in total. Again, flattening the curve presumes that the area under the curve is the same (meaning, same number of people get infected) but we spread that over a longer time. It unquestionably prolongs the pandemic to lockdown.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

An actress that I've worked with that lives out there, recently lost her mom to Covid. She also reposted pictures of jam-packed parks from last weekend. Did you see/hear the same about those parks and do you think you'll see an uptick in hospital admissions because of that? 

1 minute ago, Chollowa said:

An actress that I've worked with that lives out there, recently lost her mom to Covid. She also reposted pictures of jam-packed parks from last weekend. Did you see/hear the same about those parks and do you think you'll see an uptick in hospital admissions because of that? 

Yeah parks in The West Village were absolutely packed and cops did little to enforce social distancing measures/rules. Conversely parks in Harlem were locked closed :|. The weather was really nice and I full expect more people to start to let their guard down as the perception moves "the curve being flattened" and the worse is behind us. I don't know if we'll see a spike in infections but I wouldn't be surprised if we did... there is precedent for this happening before. I was just out earlier in Jersey running to the store and I went to a CVS to pick up some stuff. There was a line going back to the pharmacy with little to no social distancing and maybe half the people were wearing masks. We are DEFINITELY going to see a second wave of infections in this country that possibly could have been prevented. There's away to reopen responsibly based on science and data... but of course we aren't doing that as a country.

47 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

My wife actually works in admin at one of the hospitals mentioned in that article. They got a sudden surge two weekends ago and can't pinpoint why. Some think it's the border, others don't know. It's weird how the Southbay is getting hit so hard, but maybe not so weird given how the activity at the border has noticeably picked up in the last couple of weeks. That said, I don't think they are at capacity and hopefully they will never get there.  

Hopefully you and your wife are staying safe.

Some of our icu team went to Tijuana to assess their situation and ways we can help provide support. From the sounds of it, it sounds pretty bleak. We're going to try to provide some telehealth support and some nursing protocols we've established, but unsure how much of an impact that will have, if any.

The (relatively) good news is there are quite a few hospitals within the San Diego county that are able to help offload if the volume of covid patients continues to increase. But agreed, here's hoping we don't get to that point.

32 minutes ago, Jose said:

What kind?

Chicken (dark meat) cooked in a seasoning mixture of chili/cumin/onion powder/garlic powder/red pepper flake, black beans (stewed in their juice with peri peri sauce mixed in, drained), Mexican rice, Monterey Jack, chunky salsa, guac. Dabbed some verde sauce on it every couple bites. 

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Chicken (dark meat) cooked in a seasoning mixture of chili/cumin/onion powder/garlic powder/red pepper flake, black beans (stewed in their juice with peri peri sauce mixed in, drained), Mexican rice, Monterey Jack, chunky salsa, guac. Dabbed some verde sauce on it every couple bites. 

Damn bro. 

I actually made something similar meat wise today but I have a tendency to over season and over oil my foods sometimes. Now it's dry and tasteless halp. 

Did make fresh corn tortillas though. I recommend making them. Easy and delicious.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851712311/u-s-field-hospitals-stand-down-most-without-treating-any-covid-19-patients

About those field hospitals that we needed according to @Ghost_MH because the system truly was over capacity.

That's only counting ones built by the Army Corps. The field hospital here in my own city has more patients than any of the ones in that list and I somehow doubt we're some national anomaly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/nyregion/coronavirus-central-park-hospital-tent.html

I guess we're not.

I should clarify. That NPR article isn't about how field hospitals aren't being used because hospitals are overrun. It's about how the federal government is spending hundreds of millions of dollars building these things that aren't being put to use. The 39 total patients in Detroit is dwarfed by the Central Park field hospital's Tuesday. Hell, the one in my city was filled the day it was built. That's mostly because the least sick in our hospital's main campus we're moved there.

So we talked to (for lack of a better term) adoptive sister about what she is going through with her bout of covid-19. She says that the only reason she decided to get tested was because she woke up one morning and went to make her daily morning cup of coffee and had no sense of taste or smell. She then she hasnt had any other symptoms but has been told that they may have caught it early and the worst might be ahead of her. 

Anthony Fauci and two other White House Covid-19 taskforce members to self-quarantine

Three members of the White House coronavirus taskforce have placed themselves in self-quarantine after contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19. It comes as the British prime minister, Boris Johnson, prepares to unveil his “roadmap” to a new normality in a national broadcast and global infections pass four million.

Dr Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Stephen Hahn, are all expected to work remotely due to potential exposure to Covid-19.

21 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

If that Der Spiegel report about what that BND official said is accurate, then there should be hell to pay for the WHO and Beijing.

If true, China needs some form of retribution but uh....not sure what. Economic sanctions? Lol there's no good answer wonderful

23 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

If that Der Spiegel report about what that BND official said is accurate, then there should be hell to pay for the WHO and Beijing.

Shit that's bad enough and China and the head of the WHO should definitely pay a price but this is ALSO bad as well

The federal government has doubts about the US claim that the corona virus originated in a Chinese laboratory. According to information from SPIEGEL, the Federal Intelligence Service (BND) has last week with all partners of the secret service network "Five Eyes", which includes the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, according to evidence from the US government widespread laboratory thesis asked. None of the secret services wanted to confirm the thesis that, in addition to Trump, especially US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spreads.

Pompeo said last weekend that he saw "overwhelming evidence" for the laboratory thesis. Earlier, US President Trump had  sparked speculation about it .

In an internal note for Secretary of Defense Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, the US claims are classified as a calculated diversion. With the laboratory theory, the US president is trying to "distract from his own mistakes and direct the anger of the Americans towards China," the confidential dossier said.

Great Read on Why Reopening does NOT= A Return To Normal

The cabin was restless. It was a weekday afternoon in late April, and I was among dozens of people boarding an airplane that most of us had assumed would be empty. Flight attendants were scrambling to accommodate seat-change requests. Travelers—stuffed shoulder to shoulder into two-seat rows—grumbled at one another from behind masks. An ominous announcement came over the in-flight PA system: “We apologize for the alarming amount of passengers on this flight.” Each of us was a potential vector of deadly disease. I arrived at my assigned row, and found a stocky, gray-haired man in the seat next to mine. When I moved to sit down, he stopped me. “Sit there,” he said gruffly, pointing to the aisle behind us. “Social distance.”

Not eager for a confrontation, I decided to comply. Within seconds, though, a flight attendant materialized and ordered me back to my assigned seat. My recalcitrant would-be seatmate, vigorously objecting to this development, responded by blocking my entrance to the row with his leg. A standoff ensued, with the irate passenger protesting that there were plenty of empty rows where I could sit (there weren’t) and the long-suffering flight attendant all but threatening to kick him off the plane (she didn’t). Finally, he relented and I squeezed awkwardly into my seat as the man muttered profanities under his breath.

Shit and I REALLY need to fly back to LA soon...

Another great read...

The coronavirus epidemic has rendered the racial contract visible in multiple ways. Once the disproportionate impact of the epidemic was revealed to the American political and financial elite, many began to regard the rising death toll less as a national emergency than as an inconvenience. Temporary measures meant to prevent the spread of the disease by restricting movement, mandating the wearing of masks, or barring large social gatherings have become the foulest tyranny. The lives of workers at the front lines of the pandemic—such as meatpackers, transportation workers, and grocery clerks—have been deemed so worthless that legislators want to immunize their employers from liability even as they force them to work under unsafe conditions. In East New York, police assault black residents for violating social-distancing rules; in Lower Manhattan, they dole out masks and smiles to white pedestrians.

Some need to be reminded of this

The purpose of the restrictions was to flatten the curve of infections, to keep the spread of the virus from overwhelming the nation’s medical infrastructure, and to allow the federal government time to build a system of testing and tracing that could contain the outbreak. Although testing capacity is improving, the president has very publicly resisted investing the necessary resources, because testing would reveal more infections; in his words, “by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad.”

We’re now up to 7 confirmed cases at my facility, that’s with 20 people tested in the last week. We have something like 250 people who work in this building. I really wonder what the numbers would look like if we all got tested. 

I could really use 2 paid weeks off. I’ve started licking the time clock every day when I clock in. 

• Haha 1

South Dakota refused to issue stay-at-home order, so two Indigenous tribes set up checkpoints to keep people off their land. Governor orders the checkpoints removed within 48 hours.

South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem on Friday told Native American tribes they have 48 hours to take down road checkpoints they had set up to keep out unnecessary visitors because of concerns over the coronavirus.

Two tribes - the Oglala Sioux Tribe and the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe - set up the checkpoints last month in an attempt to lock down their reservations amid fears infections could decimate members.

The tribes have taken stronger action than the state because they are concerned the virus could overwhelm fragile health care systems that serve many people with underlying health problems.  

They are still allowing essential businesses on to the reservations and said the checkpoints were set up to keep out tourists or other visitors who could be carrying coronavirus infections.

Chase Iron Eyes, a spokesman for Oglala Sioux president Julian Bear Runner, said he expected the tribe to defend its rights as a sovereign nation to keep out threats to their health.

They have every right to be scared. Historically, Indigenous people in North America are hit hardest by infectious diseases due to lack of adequate healthcare and poor living conditions on reserves. Previous epidemics (such as Spanish Flu) have killed far more Indigenous people per capita than non-Indigenous.

• Guillotine 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Wait, do airlines not have to space people out in 1/4 of the seats or something? If they are allowed to fill them up, that is almost guaranteeing transmission.

They JUST started requiring passengers to wear face masks like a week or two ago. The industry's leading trade group is FOR masks but against leaving middle seats empty.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), a trade group representing airlines around the world, has come out against blocking off middle seats on planes, while recommending both passengers and crew members wear face masks on board instead. The group released an official statement on the state of post-Covid 19 air travel on May 5. Why is one of these social distancing measures better than another? It's about the airlines' ability to make money.

"Evidence suggests that the risk of transmission on board aircraft is low," reads the statement. "Mask-wearing by passengers and crew will reduce the already low risk, while avoiding the dramatic cost increases to air travel that onboard social distancing measures would bring."

Blocking off specific seats will limit the number of tickets an airline can sell, cutting their already slim profit margins. Meanwhile, widespread mask wearing means every seat can be filled.

"In these conditions, there is no airline which is able to fly and make money on these flights," IATA's Director General, Alexandre de Juniac, told CNN's Richard Quest on a recent episode of "Quest Means Business." And the most likely scenario would have those costs passed on to customers in the form of more expensive airline tickets.

"Compared to 2019, air fares would need to go up dramatically -- between 43% and 54% depending on the region -- just to break even," the release says.

I always wanted to drive across country... seems like now might be my chance.