~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a good 90 minute drive to get from where I am (basically dead center on the western border with PA) to somewhere like Newark. I know people are surprisingly stupid but I can’t imagine a 90+ minute drive to go for a walk in a park. :p 

Well I would hope you and Jose wouldn’t be so dumb, but that doesn’t mean everyone else isn’t. People were driving as far to go to churches that were refusing to abide by or given immunity from stay at home orders. And I’m sure people were driving as far or further to go protest stay at home orders at state capitols. 

and a 90 minute drive may be a bit much for a walk in the park, but if you plan on spending any significant amount of time, especially if coordinating with a group of people, 90 minutes is nothing. We do that just to go to a lake for a day, or half day. 

59 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hudson County

C8-B1-BEC7-9-A93-4531-A0-C4-6384-EA53-FC

Looks like I JUST miss Bergen county with my Giants season tickets. THE POINT YOU WERE MAKING NEARLY WENT SIDEWAYS THERE!

:p 

Fun fact: when I moved to Jersey City 5 years ago with my wife, I thought we were moving to South Jersey lol.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Well I would hope you and Jose wouldn’t be so dumb, but that doesn’t mean everyone else isn’t. People were driving as far to go to churches that were refusing to abide by or given immunity from stay at home orders. And I’m sure people were driving as far or further to go protest stay at home orders at state capitols. 

and a 90 minute drive may be a bit much for a walk in the park, but if you plan on spending any significant amount of time, especially if coordinating with a group of people, 90 minutes is nothing. We do that just to go to a lake for a day, or half day. 

I hear ya, BUT, that’s devote christians trying to worship and not someone wanting to walk in a park as opposed to a sidewalk :p 

On the second half, yea, holding some type of park-based party is where the issue is (what someone might make a long drive for), but, is also where Murphy said he’d shut it all down again.

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

Fun fact: when I moved to Jersey City 5 years ago with my wife, I thought we were moving to South Jersey lol.

Once you get deep enough into South Jersey (Cape May being the exception) you’d think that NJ was part of the confederacy.

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Italy had almost 500 deaths yesterday, a sharp rise again, we're in this for the long haul and 100K plus before august especially if we drop stay at home orders seems extremely likely.

Yeah.  Based on the data we've seen from Italy and Spain, we may come off the peak, but there won't be a rapid decline in deaths for quite awhile.  It will continue to fester for months.  

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Italy had almost 500 deaths yesterday, a sharp rise again, we're in this for the long haul and 100K plus before august especially if we drop stay at home orders seems extremely likely.

All we have to do is keep up whatever it is we're doing and we'll be at 100k by month end

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

Is there are any evidence that Covid transmission is happening from this type of “interaction”? While it isn’t zero risk, it seems very low risk based on what I’ve read.

It probably presents more of a down range risk of people generally letting their guard down, but I have no idea how you quantify that.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Once you get deep enough into South Jersey (Cape May being the exception) you’d think that NJ was part of the confederacy.

My defining memory of South Jersey is being down in Salem—a family friend used to have a crabbery there—and driving by this house that had a fucking tombstone in the front yard. They'd straight-up just buried someone in the front lawn. 

43 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These fucking people at the goddamn new York times are rewriting history

That's not what she's doing. She's giving the administration cover. She always has these scoops and stories that on the face sound negative about Trump, but strategically help push his agenda. Now, if anyone calls him out for not getting help, the White House can rightly argue that it didn't help because the response to Katrina was horrific.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Again, is there evidence that Covid transmission is happening in these sorts of interactions? This doesn't seem to be the case from anything I've read. The places that have seeded large outbreaks are all places with longer spans of close interactions, like public transit, nursing homes, meat packing plants, prisons, large religious gatherings, etc. 

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Again, is there evidence that Covid transmission is happening in these sorts of interactions? This doesn't seem to be the case from anything I've read. The places that have seeded large outbreaks are all places with longer spans of close interactions, like public transit, nursing homes, meat packing plants, prisons, large religious gatherings, etc. 

The virus is airborne, close proximity to anyone is an infection risk regardless of being inside or outside.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

The virus is airborne, close proximity to anyone is an infection risk regardless of being inside or outside.

That doesn’t actually answer the question. One could theoretically get infected that way, but are people being infected that way? It doesn’t seem as though that is the case.

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's not what she's doing. She's giving the administration cover. She always has these scoops and stories that on the face sound negative about Trump, but strategically help push his agenda. Now, if anyone calls him out for not getting help, the White House can rightly argue that it didn't help because the response to Katrina was horrific.

And where our press fails at using their freedom is that if the administration made that claim, the follow up question should be “the response to Katrina was horrific due to poor leadership. Is the President admitting his leadership was not up to the task to properly lead the response to the Covid-19 pandemic?” 

but they won’t call out the poor leadership and bungling of the Katrina response, nor throw it in Donald’s face that he’s a knows he’s a joke and chose to run away from leadership and responsibility. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That doesn’t actually answer the question. One could theoretically get infected that way, but are people being infected that way? It doesn’t seem as though that is the case.

Remember that massive wave of infection India was going to have with all those day laborers walking tightly packed outside? Yeah, it never happened. 

27 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Can be, and is, both. 

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So really we don't need to isolate we just need to never go inside!

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These fucking people at the goddamn new York times are rewriting history

I’m not sure why left Twitter has been in tizzy over this? I read it as her making a statement of fact (W asked old presidents for help; Trump has not), not an endorsement of how well W handled it. 

52 minutes ago, Jose said:

Remember that massive wave of infection India was going to have with all those day laborers walking tightly packed outside? Yeah, it never happened. 

Yeah, just seems like shared touch points in confined space is the main driver of transmission. Not that it’s impossible to catch it walking across an intersection, but it seems so remote a possibility that noting rising infection rates juxtaposed with people walking to/from a park is wildly dishonest framing.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I agree, but, Murphy flat out stated that this is a “test” and he’ll shut them back down immediately if people are “fragrantly” breaking guidelines. That being said I think he opened them knowing he’d be closing them down again within 72-ish hours so he can throw up photos going “see? You fucking fucks are a bunch of fucks” in response to the backlash that he closed them 2-ish weeks back. Even the anti-shutdown clods on my FB were posting about the park reopenings begging for people “not to mess this up!”

Or they could have just spoken like a real Jersyan and said

• Haha 2