~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

25 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Their spring/March break is a few weeks before the rest of Canada so they were out vacationing during the height of the spread and brought it back with them.

So basically bad luck. Jeeez.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/greg-abbott-texas-coronavirus/index.html

So there really is no plan for Texas at this point beyond schools are closed for the rest of the school year. They are establishing a medical and economic council to look at a phased approach to returning to a new normal. Will be interesting to see how much pressure the business community members are able to exert. Some real heavy hitters on that list like Michael Dell.

Just now, sblfilms said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/greg-abbott-texas-coronavirus/index.html

So there really is no plan for Texas at this point beyond schools are closed for the rest of the school year. They are establishing a medical and economic council to look at a phased approach to returning to a new normal. Will be interesting to see how much pressure the business community members are able to exert. Some real heavy hitters on that list like Michael Dell.

Yeah I just saw this... The Mayor of Austin said this morning that he was planning for his city to stay shut down until May 1st, but whatever he says would be overruled by The Governor. How Do texans feel about this?

9 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

He's got balls giving that death count and shitting on them for it when he's about to double those numbers.

Especially when you consider Obama’s numbers were over the course of a YEAR. One month in and COVID doubles that.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I just saw this... The Mayor of Austin said this morning that he was planning for his city to stay shut down until May 1st, but whatever he says would be overruled by The Governor. How Do texans feel about this?

I don’t know, I feel like people have been taking it more and more seriously, seeing waaaay more people in masks on the rare times I’m at the pharmacy or grocery store. But I’m simultaneously seeing more of the subtle “it’s not THAT bad” stuff on social media from friends and family.

But the county I live in, Brazoria, which stretches from the border with Houston all the way down to the gulf coast, has 360k residents, and less than 300 confirmed cases even though our first official case was around March 10th. We have several drive thru testing sites that have been largely empty, so it doesn’t seem like we are missing people due to lack of testing unless they just aren’t going in even when they have severe symptoms?

I’m hoping people realize that our numbers have been good BECAUSE we’ve actually done a decent job of isolation.

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Don't worry. We have our brightest working on this: 

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Named Trump's Texas Chairman | KERA News

• Sad 1

EV1AxC-WsAYAyjT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Based on that chart, I think that if the US peaks in the next few days/week, then it would be reasonable to assume it will stay between 1,000 to 2,000 deaths per day for the next 20-30 days based on how other countries have rounded the curve. So maybe another 40,000 to 60,000 deaths in the next month alone, assuming it then drops fast after.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

BC's top health officer put out some approximate models today:

She also said that that non-essential air/ground travel will probably be off the table for the next 12-18 months to keep the virus under control.

The travel industry is wrecked for a couple of years

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

It could give people ideas about how to violate SIP orders. 

I’m not sure how choosing to live with another person during the shelter at home order is a violation of such an order. There may even be benefits for people who otherwise live alone to go live with a group of people for things like limiting the number of shopping trips as one person could buy household items for everybody.

I guess I could be missing something.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not sure how choosing to live with another person during the shelter at home order is a violation of such an order. There may even be benefits for people who otherwise live alone to go live with a group of people for things like limiting the number of shopping trips as one person could buy household items for everybody.

I guess I could be missing something.

Oh my bad, at first glance I thought it was talking about people who weren't quarantining together doing a "home Coachella".

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

We could get through this pandemic more easily if we just rounded up every Republican and executed them, leaving their body in a mass grave in the middle of Nevada that we can just nuke when the purge is over. 

Maybe we finally found a use for Yucca Mountain. 

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Poll: Only 9% of Britons want life to return to "normal" once pandemic is over.

Poll showed stronger support for local communities, cooking from scratch, cleaner environment, and ties to family and friends.

Yeah I think for a lot of the world, things won't "go back to normal" after this. This is a societal changing event... except for America of course.