~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

That is false. The first known case in the US in the genome sequences on Nextstrain is from January. But that’s not the point, the earliest case they know of is in the region where Wuhan is, and there are no variants of the virus genome that predate that anywhere in the world, but you can directly trace the mutation from that point to the US cases in January. There are no strains of the virus that don’t come from the origin point in Hubei province.

I mistyped when I said the first US case was in March and not January, that's my fault. It still doesn't change my point that if the first case was in Hubei if in November, There could have been undetected spread from there to other parts of the world that went undetected in December. As the articles I posted say, it's unlikely but possible and we won't know until we expand testing. Again, I'm not arguing that the virus didn't come from China or Hubei. I'm saying that it may have gotten out earlier than we know. Believe it, don't believe it... I've posted what the relevant articles that raise the possibility. Again, this is not MY point I'm making and I submit that we simply don't know enough to make any definitive statements about this virus. We first thought this virus started in a Wet Market and have since found that not to be true. 

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mistyped when I said the first US case was in March and not January, that's my fault. It still doesn't change my point that if the first case was in Hubei if in November, There could have been undetected spread from there to other parts of the world that went undetected in December. As the articles I posted say, it's unlikely but possible and we won't know until we expand testing. Again, I'm not arguing that the virus didn't come from China or Hubei. I'm saying that it may have gotten out earlier than we know. Believe it, don't believe it... I've posted what the relevant articles that raise the possibility. Again, this is not MY point I'm making and I submit that we simply don't know enough to make any definitive statements about this virus. We first thought this virus started in a Wet Market and have since found that not to be true. 

The US cases are connected to Hubei cases in *December* too.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The US cases are connected to Hubei cases in *December* too.

And who is saying the weren't? (Or wouldn't be if they actually exist)

Again, I'm not arguing that the virus didn't come from China or Hubei. I'm saying that it may have gotten out earlier than we know.

In other news, College Students are trying to get some of their money back

The coronavirus crisis is forcing a reckoning over the price and value of higher education. Schools geared toward full-time students ages 18 to 22 offer, in normal times, academic programs with a personal touch, including seminars, laboratory classes, office hours and research opportunities with faculty. They also tout the importance of meeting a diverse array of classmates through dormitories, dining halls, extracurricular activities, Greek life, athletic events, overseas studies and more.

Much of that vanished when campuses shuttered last month, a public health measure designed to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Many schools provided partial refunds for room and board after they sent students home. But they have held firm on tuition, arguing that classes are still moving forward and credit will still be awarded toward degrees. “We can certainly all agree that this is not the spring semester any of us envisioned,” Johns Hopkins said in a statement. “With the current plans in place to complete the academic year and deliver on its mission in service of its students, at this time Johns Hopkins University is not offering tuition refunds.”

Students elsewhere are petitioning for refunds and even taking their cases to court. In a class-action lawsuit filed last week in federal court in South Carolina, a student named Adelaide Dixon, acting on behalf of herself and classmates, demanded a refund from the University of Miami for alleged breach of contract. Undergraduate tuition and fees at the private research university total about $51,900 a year, not counting room and board.

The suit cites university marketing materials that extol the benefit of living on campus to meet other students, faculty and staff members: “It’s a special time of learning and maturing; a time to be a member of the University family.” The suspension of in-person teaching, the suit alleges, marked a failure to deliver on that promise.

In a statement, the university said it is “providing a robust online learning environment, and proactively working with all of our students and their families to make it through this difficult time and for all of us to emerge stronger in the future. The University is aware of the court filing and we will continue to monitor the situation.”

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And who is saying the weren't? (Or wouldn't be if they actually exist)

It can’t be meaningfully earlier than a few weeks which would put it at the very end of December, yet CNN anchors are now saying “Maybe October?”. 

Fucking hell.

Thursday's death toll nearly doubled the previous high......set on Wednesday.

4591 deaths on Thursday.

I hate how Trump's propaganda has warped this argument about our response. There should be no argument that our response has been an absolute disaster. Perhaps the worst in the entire world. If any other country had the stats we do, Trump would be on TV every day scoring political points on just how many ways he could travel ban and isolate such a dirty, plague spreading shithole.

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Fucking hell.

Thursday's death toll nearly doubled the previous high......set on Wednesday.

4591 deaths on Thursday.

Just an FYI: this was a data dump from a backlog of previous deaths. Kinda like how we have seen dips on the weekends in a lot of places followed by an uptick on Monday. Unlikely that Friday will be anywhere close to that. The actual deaths was pretty close to Wednesday’s number.

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It can’t be meaningfully earlier than a few weeks which would put it at the very end of December, yet CNN anchors are now saying “Maybe October?”. 

Yeah, I THOUGHT I put his comment in context:

It could be his frustration talking since he himself has had it for awhile and his wife just got diagnosed...

He was speaking out of frustration at how little the doctors seem to know about the virus which is why he blurted that out. His larger point was that since we know so little about the virus, how could we think about opening things up. We still don't know for sure if people who've had the virus and recovered have ANY immunity for from further infection for example... WE DON'T KNOW. His October comment came across as part hyperbole and legit incredulous speculation.

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Just an FYI: this was a data dump from a backlog of previous deaths. Kinda like how we have seen dips on the weekends in a lot of places followed by an uptick on Monday. Unlikely that Friday will be anywhere close to that. The actual deaths was pretty close to Wednesday’s number.

Fair enough, but those numbers came from somewhere and even at 2,500 a day my point still most empathically stands.

I pretty much took this as a given, but seems to be increasing evidence that obesity is a huge factor in the severity of the population's reaction to Covid. Especially among the younger population.

Although people with obesity frequently have other medical problems, the new studies point to the condition in and of itself as the most significant risk factor, after only older age, for being hospitalized with COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus. Young adults with obesity appear to be at particular risk, studies show.

Some coronavirus patients with obesity may already have compromised respiratory function that preceded the infection. Abdominal obesity, more prominent in men, can cause compression of the diaphragm, lungs and chest capacity. Obesity is known to cause chronic, low-grade inflammation and an increase in circulating, pro-inflammatory cytokines, which may play a role in the worst COVID-19 outcomes.

“Obesity is more important for hospitalization than whether you have high blood pressure or diabetes, though these often go together, and it’s more important than coronary disease or cancer or kidney disease, or even pulmonary disease,” said Dr. Leora Horwitz, the paper’s senior author and director of the Center for Healthcare Innovation and Delivery Science at NYU Langone.

At about 4:30est today I lost my aunt to Covid-19 :(

we thought she was getting better but her oxygen levels started to worsen. She was getting down to 70% territory and any lower was The start or organ failure. She was kind of into the new age medicine and declined to be placed on a respirator. She had the “when her time was up, it was up” mentality/spirit. My 2 cousins (who haven’t spoken to in 8 years) even went down together on Sunday in hopes she would get better. The hospital was kind enough a few days ago to put a speaker phone in her room so they could talk to her. Seem to lift her, started resting on her stomach and oxygen levels got back into the 90’s tues/yesterday afternoon. Then last night things got worse for her, as blood clots in her lungs started to break away. I was surprised to hear that the hospital allowed my cousins to see her. They got there in time for both of them to hold her hand and say they loved her, and it was ok to go. She died 30secs after they said that.:cry:

• stepee 1
  • Sad 19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news3lv.com/amp/news/local/watch-live-gov-sisolak-provides-an-update-on-coronavirus-testing-in-nevada

Next week, Gov. Sisolak will provide an update on modeling and projections in addition to criteria and measures needed to finalize a re-opening plan. 

During a question-and-answer session with reporters, Gov. Sisolak took a question on Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman and her plea to reopen the Las Vegas Strip

Goodman, who says her decision was based on data and common sense means that Las Vegas has to return and reopen to keep the city running. 

Sisolak said his medical experts disagreed with that assessment and that he believes those pressures are based on economic and business worries and not that of the lives of residents. 

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Australia has had low instances of Coronavirus compared to other Western countries... they've jumped on it early and implemented social distancing and are testing aggressively but they aren't taking their foot off the gas.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-australia-handled-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-4

It's spreading in Ecuador and Africa too where it's been warm but they are moving into their Fall/Winter as we move into our Spring/Summer  and people are worried that it's going to explode there as they move into their flu season.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/africa-covid-19-time-bomb-defuse/

Here is an article discussing how weather may affect the transmission and infection rate of Coronavirus.

https://www.livescience.com/warmer-weather-slow-coronavirus-spread.html

While we don't have enough information to know how the coronavirus responds to cooler weather versus warmer weather, I've read (briefly, so I don't know specifics) that there's a potential for a second big wave next winter. That being the case, maybe they're basing this on an assumption or information that this spreads easier during the winter.

5 hours ago, silentbob said:

At about 4:30est today I lost my aunt to Covid-19 :(

we thought she was getting better but her oxygen levels started to worsen. She was getting down to 70% territory and any lower was The start or organ failure. She was kind of into the new age medicine and declined to be placed on a respirator. She had the “when her time was up, it was up” mentality/spirit. My 2 cousins (who haven’t spoken to in 8 years) even went down together on Sunday in hopes she would get better. The hospital was kind enough a few days ago to put a speaker phone in her room so they could talk to her. Seem to lift her, started resting on her stomach and oxygen levels got back into the 90’s tues/yesterday afternoon. Then last night things got worse for her, as blood clots in her lungs started to break away. I was surprised to hear that the hospital allowed my cousins to see her. They got there in time for both of them to hold her hand and say they loved her, and it was ok to go. She died 30secs after they said that.:cry:

My condolences @silentbob

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

While we don't have enough information to know how the coronavirus responds to cooler weather versus warmer weather, I've read (briefly, so I don't know specifics) that there's a potential for a second big wave next winter. That being the case, maybe they're basing this on an assumption or information that this spreads easier during the winter.

Yes they are not only worried about a second wave in the fall when flu season returns, they aren’t sure that the spread will even slow down in the summer. A lot of their assumptions are based on how previous coronaviruses have behaved but they simply don’t know. Based on what I’ve read, the theory is that colder, dryer air makes easier for the droplets to stay in the air longer which leads to more infections vs warmer more humid air in warmer climates. Again, it is just speculation at this point.

Jacksonville to reopen beaches - with limitations. Mayor Lenny Curry sees efforts to flatten the curve paying off

[H]e announced that Jacksonville’s beaches will reopen for essential activities at 5 p.m. Friday.

Participating in recreational activities consistent with social distancing guidelines

Such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, running, swimming, taking care of pets and surfing

In addition to limits on activities, beaches will open from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. each morning and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. each evening. They will remain closed during all other time periods.

People at the beach will be swimming and surfing at their own risk.

"We are near our peak and hospitalizations are at a level of manageability below our local capacity,” Curry said at a midday Thursday video conference. “That consistency for the last two weeks appears to be the flattening that we need. We’ll know for sure within the next week.”

• Guillotine 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/17/if-sanofis-coronavirus-vaccine-works-ceo-says-it-can-produce-up-to-600-million-doses-next-year.html

French drugmaker Sanofi expects to produce up to 600 million doses of its coronavirus vaccine next year if its clinical trials with GSK go as planned, CEO Paul Hudson said Friday.

"We believe we're one of the few companies who will be able to make a vaccine at a huge scale," he said during an interview with CNBC's "Squawk Box."

Sean Penn joins L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti in expanding COVID Testing

Penn has provided the highest-profile shot in the arm in helping the city boost its capacity by mobilizing his nonprofit CORE (Community Organized Relief) last month and offering to help. Per a report in the Los Angeles Times, Penn and his CORE partners, including chief executive Ann Lee, reached out to California Gov. Gavin Newsom to offer their relief services and he put them in touch with Mayor Garcetti.

CORE helped take over a testing facility in East L.A. before moving to other areas of the city. Tonight, Garcetti said CORE currently has 70 staffers helping run four testing sites, efforts that have relieved L.A. firefighters and paramedics from those locations, allowing them to focus on emergency response.

Penn, a longtime and dogged humanitarian, launched a disaster relief organization called J/P HRO in the wake of the Haiti’s 2010 earthquake. The nonprofit got a rebrand in January 2019 under the name CORE as its efforts expanded to focus on disaster relief in other parts of the United States and the Caribbean. That followed work done in places like Puerto Rico, North Carolina and Florida where CORE staffers aided relief and recovery following devastating hurricanes. Coronavirus relief, Garcetti noted, has allowed Penn to "do it here in your backyard, and it means the world."

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah it's bad in Ecuador and some fear that it is a precursor for other parts of Latin America and Africa as well.

Colombia is on lockdown. People can go out but it's based on your cedula (their version of SSN) odd and even numbers alternate days. Even on those days only one person can go out to get essentials.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

"You know, the doctor told me that as long as I take the antibiotics for 14 days I will be okay. But it's been 5 days and you know what? I'm feeling pretty good. I'll try stopping the meds and see how things go!"

• Shocked 1

He acknowledged that the novel coronavirus is killing Americans — more than 33,000 as of early Friday — but also wondered why the economy would shut down over the pandemic but continues to function as people die from lung cancer, car crashes and pool drownings. (Unlike coronavirus, none of the causes of death listed by Dr. Phil are contagious.)

“We don’t shut the country down for that,” said Dr. Phil, after he cited inaccurate statistics on accidental deaths. “Yet we are doing it for this and the fallout is going to last for years because people’s lives are being destroyed.”

Thanks, Oprah!

• Guillotine 5

It's killed as many people that die in car accidents for a year in 6 weeks, at this rate in like 2 more weeks it will kill as many as car accidents and guns combined. But sure let's open up and kill 10 times that number, and flood hospitals with car crash and gun shot victims again, lol. 

11 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It's killed as many people that die in car accidents for a year in 6 weeks, at this rate in like 2 more weeks it will kill as many as car accidents and guns combined. But sure let's open up and kill 10 times that number, and flood hospitals with car crash and gun shot victims again, lol. 

Yeah, but has it killed as many people as the flu? 
no? Well libs, it’s time to open back up, because it’s not so bad.