Houston Astros' Jeff Luhnow, AJ Hinch suspended 1 year; Alex Cora (Red Sox) and Carlos Beltran (Mets) Out

AbsolutSurgen

4 hours ago, Jose said:

Next year is going to be hilarious either way.  If the Asrros get off to a hot start, hilarious. If they struggle, hilarious. 

A local sports talk guy asked on Twitter if Astros fans would be happier about the 2017 title or a 2020 “go to hell” title. The response was overwhelmingly that Houston fans want to see the meltdown of an Astros WS title this season because our favorite team has made the full on heel turn :lol:

#StealItBack

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think MLB is underestimating fan's reactions to this cheating.

They're hoping it will just go away, and I'm not sure it will.

Do a majority of fans care, or even know that this happened, though? I'm probably an outlier, but I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about this, or steroids for that matter. The game would probably be more interesting if they just let every team/player do whatever the hell they wanted.

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

Stripping Houston makes 0 sense. What about all the teams in the AL. How can we not know one of them would not have made it to the WS instead and beat the Dodgers instead? 

I think the 17 Yankees were better than the 17 Dodgers!

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

People just mad Astros were the best cheaters

Yep. The outrage is beyond ridiculous. They cheated, were caught, and punished. Welcome to every level of sports. It's time to move on. At least McCann and Gattis got rings (along with any other former Braves I'm excluding)

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People just mad Astros were the best cheaters

This whole thing has been so weird and unsatisfying. I thought we were going to take down the smartest organization in sports who happened to be cheating! Well that kind of happened, but it turns out the smart people had nothing to do with it. Now Luhnow is out of a job and maybe baseball permanently (according to Keith Law) and he had nothing to do with it?! Meanwhile, most of the cheaters are still with the club and face no punishment? If this was a movie, I'd ask for my money back.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28556285/dallas-keuchel-apologizes-sign-stealing-says-ex-teammates-well

Keuchel says that Astros should apologize

Says their sign stealing doesn’t help their pitchers but also maybe adds a couple of runs per game (LOL, run support doesn’t matter apparently)

Says the Astros didn’t do it every game

Suggests that illegal sign stealing was so prevalent that at least 6 of the 8 playoff teams were constantly changing signs even without runners on 2nd

Thinks Mike Fiers is a rat without explicitly stating it

Yeah, maybe it is best for the players to keep quiet :lol:

43 minutes ago, johnny said:

Why should the players keep quiet? 

Because they can’t help but say dumb things besides what they should say, which is “we are sorry we cheated”.

http://signstealingscandal.com

This is pretty neat. You can actually look player by player to see how many trash can bangs there were in each game. Pretty clear who the players were who were most involved in the scheme.

Also backs up what I’ve thought for a long time: Jose Altuve doesn’t regularly utilize sign stealing because he has the absolute worst plate discipline in the world. Guy swings at everything, he just has an amazing ability to make good contact outside the zone.

Josh Reddick also rarely utilized it, but probably should have due to his also terrible plate discipline but amazing inability to make contact outside the zone :lol:

Also interesting that after Danny Farquhar figures out the banging, the Astros stopped it for the balance of the regular season. That actually plays in to the narrative that they switched to another relay system, like the fabled buzzers.