Update (August 2024): NASA declares Boeing's capsule isn't safe to return astronauts to Earth - 2 astros will return on SpaceX capsule next February

On 5/6/2024 at 11:10 PM, outsida said:

This sucks because with Elon going crazy we need a viable alternative. 

I mean that shouldn’t factor into anything except whether shareholders want him to continue to lead. Space X is way ahead and should continue to be ussd as it’s a far more reliable and cheaper option. 

Musk has no part in rocket design, and their manned safety record is incredible. 

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean that shouldn’t factor into anything except whether shareholders want him to continue to lead. Space X is way ahead and should continue to be ussd as it’s a far more reliable and cheaper option. 

Musk has no part in rocket design, and their manned safety record is incredible. 

I don't want to downplay SpaceX's achievements, which are many, but their manned saftey record is pretty short. Perfect, but short. Reputations need to start somewhere of course.

The concern with Elon isn't necessarily that the technical team will screw up, but that he could personally interfere with an irreplaceable asset. Look at what he did with Starlink and deciding when and where it can be used in Ukraine and imagine that some situation arises where he personally doesn't like a space mission. The history of manned space flight has largely been driven by international politics, and just the idea that someone so unstable and unaccountable could personally guide the usage of a program largely funded by the Federal government is unsettling.

At the moment, Space X is irreplaceable and there's no sign that their competitors in Blue Origin or Boeing are catching up, but it still seems prudent for the US to foster some meaningful alternative.

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 1:09 PM, mclumber1 said:

You have to feel bad for the two astronauts who have been waiting a better part of 8 years for this moment.  Starliner was supposed to be launching humans into orbit 4 years ago.

They have gotten a few extra years to live at least. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update (06/05): third time's the charm for Boeing's manned Starliner mission to the ISS
48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The guy I share an office with is absolutely thrilled as his Naval Academy buddy is one of the crew:

WWW.NASA.GOV

Barry E. Wilmore (Captain, U.S. Navy, Ret.) is a veteran of two spaceflights and has accumulated 178 days in space. He is currently training to be the

Wilmore graduated from my alma mater and was my commencement speaker :sun:

15 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

SpaceX: hold my beer

WWW.CNBC.COM

The fourth Starship test flight completed new milestones as SpaceX continues to advance development of the mammoth vehicle.

If it is possible for a piece of hardware to be heroic it was Starship yesterday, the fact that thing held together let alone actually completed the landing maneuver was amazing. Even the space X commentators thought they were just watching a burned cinder that was somehow still transmitting telemetry fall through the atmosphere after the worst parts of reentry where it looked like the flaps were burnt through and then the cameras got cooked.

• 2 weeks later...

So not really much of a charm. Astronauts are still stuck on the space station. I believe it’s quickly running out of nitrogen as well, if it’s still leaking. I know earlier in the week they said at the rate it was leaking they had 10 days (if it’s still leaking, no idea). 

The worst thing for them and best thing for SpaceX would be if they had to launch a rocket to go get the crew. As I understand they can’t launch the spare shuttle that is attached for emergency exit of the station crew, so they would require another shuttle if the starliner mission ends in failure. 

AMP.CNN.COM

Two NASA test pilots helming the inaugural crewed flight of Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft are in a tentative position as mission teams scramble to learn more about issues that...

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

So not really much of a charm. Astronauts are still stuck on the space station. I believe it’s quickly running out of nitrogen as well, if it’s still leaking. I know earlier in the week they said at the rate it was leaking they had 10 days (if it’s still leaking, no idea). 

The worst thing for them and best thing for SpaceX would be if they had to launch a rocket to go get the crew. As I understand they can’t launch the spare shuttle that is attached for emergency exit of the station crew, so they would require another shuttle if the starliner mission ends in failure. 

AMP.CNN.COM

Two NASA test pilots helming the inaugural crewed flight of Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft are in a tentative position as mission teams scramble to learn more about issues that...

There are no spare "lifeboats" for the ISS.  There are currently 9 people at the space station, 2 of which rode up there on the Boeing Starliner.  The 2 other craft hold 4 and 3 people respectively.  SpaceX (or roscomos) would need to launch another capsule if the starliner is deemed unsafe.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

There are no spare "lifeboats" for the ISS.  There are currently 9 people at the space station, 2 of which rode up there on the Boeing Starliner.  The 2 other craft hold 4 and 3 people respectively.  SpaceX (or roscomos) would need to launch another capsule if the starliner is deemed unsafe.

I meant the craft that are there for the current crews, not really “spare”. Bad choice of words.

again, what a boon that would be for SpaceX.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...

Shit still broke: stranded Astronauts edition

WWW.WIRED.COM

Eight weeks after the Starliner spacecraft launched, NASA is still looking for possible answers to its technical issues—including the possibility of SpaceX lending a hand.

One informed source said it was greater than a 50-50 chance that the crew would come back on Dragon. Another source said it was significantly more likely than not they would. To be clear, NASA has not made a final decision. This probably will not happen until at least next week. It is likely that Jim Free, NASA's associate administrator, will make the call.

NASA issued a $266,678 task award to SpaceX on July 14 for a “special study for emergency response.” NASA said this study was not directly related to Starliner's problems, but two sources told Ars it really was. Although the study entailed work on flying more than four crew members home on Crew Dragon—a scenario related to Frank Rubio and the Soyuz MS-22 leaks—it also allowed SpaceX to study flying Dragon home with six passengers, a regular crew complement in addition to Wilmore and Williams.

ARSTECHNICA.COM

The primary reason for the delay is rather surprising.

So apparently one of the big issues is that the capsule that is currently docked to the ISS is not able to be undocked remotely, and instead requires manual undocking by a human inside it. So they can't undock it and let it burn on entry.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So apparently one of the big issues is that the capsule that is currently docked to the ISS is not able to be undocked remotely, and instead requires manual undocking by a human inside it. So they can't undock it and let it burn on entry.

Also, if the thrusters fail in some fashion, those astronauts would be absolutely hosed because they couldn't return to the ISS and couldn't deorbit back to Earth.  

I envision a scenario where NASA uses the robotic arm to grapple the Starliner out of it's current docking port to allow a rescue capsule (which would be a Dragon) to dock at the same port.

There are only 2 docking ports that commercial crew vessels can use.  One is currently taken up by a Crew Dragon, and the other one has the Starliner attached. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Truly embarrassing for Boeing, and somewhat less so for NASA who paid Boeing almost twice as much as SpaceX to develop a space capsule that will need extensive redevelopment if it ever flies again. 

Boeing isn't at the press conference and NASA is saying they disagree with Boeing that Starliner is safe to bring back crewed. 

• mclumber1 changed the title to Update (August 2024): NASA declares Boeing's capsule isn't safe to return astronauts to Earth - 2 astros will return on SpaceX capsule next February
  • 2 weeks later...

The Boeing Starliner is slated to undock from the ISS later today (~6 PM eastern) and return to Earth approximately 6 hours later.  If all goes well, the Starliner will touchdown in the New Mexico desert.  

Of course, the capsule will not have any crew aboard, due to safety concerns NASA has raised with the craft.  The two crew members who rode up on Starliner earlier this year will stay on the station until next spring.  The 8 day visit will turn into an 8 month extended stay.