Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

There is a Monster Energy Drink promotion for Series X that leaked.

Based on the value of the prize listed some are coming to the conclusion it's $600.

The promo does include Halo Infinite though as well, and clearly states that the prize and the value are not in market and may change.

Screenshot_20200815-120510_Twitter.jpg

The price tag thing continues to amuse me. My brother and I joke that it’s just going to be listed as “You’ll find out when you pay” to avoid either company undercutting the other :lol:

On 8/15/2020 at 11:03 AM, JPDunks4 said:

There is a Monster Energy Drink promotion for Series X that leaked.

Based on the value of the prize listed some are coming to the conclusion it's $600.

The promo does include Halo Infinite though as well, and clearly states that the prize and the value are not in market and may change.

Screenshot_20200815-120510_Twitter.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/08/16/report-retail-insider-claims-xbox-series-x-may-be-599/

More leaks coming out that say $600.

These could be wrong but there is starting to be a damn lot of evidence. 

My guess is that both consoles will be the same price. If Sony comes in for less they would win in a huge landslide... But most estimates are that the parts for the ps5 are more expensive because of the hard drive.  

I'm sure we will find out all the prices very soon. 

Phil stated they learned a lot from the XB1 launch, and wouldn't be out of position on Price or Power again.

So question is, does that mean it'll stay in line with console launches, at $400 or $500, or does it mean they have Lockhart to compete on price, X to compete on power.

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Phil stated they learned a lot from the XB1 launch, and wouldn't be out of position on Price or Power again.

So question is, does that mean it'll stay in line with console launches, at $400 or $500, or does it mean they have Lockhart to compete on price, X to compete on power.

I suspect the Xbox One’s S/X combo was a turning point for the Xbox brand after the launch fumble.  If the layperson associates Xbox with the most powerful and cheapest console (even if split between SKUs), systems will sell.

I doubt pricing will be an issue if hypothetically the Series S comes in at $350-$400 and the Series X drops at $600, even if the PS5 is less than the latter.  The bigger challenge will be demonstrating what value developers can add with Series X’s GPU, and why the Series S, with its compromises, is still adequate.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, because that’s how it will leak. MS has been tight lipped on pricing yet they told retail stores and some random worker can see it.
:|

I'm not saying it is accurate, but every day that goes by it is going to be harder to keep the price a secret.  There have got to be a lot of people "in the know" by this point with more people added to that list daily.  Eventually the word will get out - either by intentional leak, or accidental reveal.  Both these companies would be smart to just pull off the bandaid and get the price out there in front of people.  

5 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm not saying it is accurate, but every day that goes by it is going to be harder to keep the price a secret.  There have got to be a lot of people "in the know" by this point with more people added to that list daily.  Eventually the word will get out - either by intentional leak, or accidental reveal.  Both these companies would be smart to just pull off the bandaid and get the price out there in front of people.  

I’m not arguing what the price will be, I’m saying that the thought of retail employees knowing it without it being posted literally everywhere is lulzy

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not arguing what the price will be, I’m saying that the thought of retail employees knowing it without it being posted literally everywhere is lulzy

Possibly.  I see what you are saying and I agree to a point.  But dumb things happen constantly.  Really we will never know.  Even if the price is $600 it won't mean that this person didn't make this up.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-veteran-who-named-duke-controller-after-son-d/1100-6481031/

A longtime Microsoft employee has died, and several Xbox veterans are paying their respects. Brett Schepf worked on notable Microsoft products such as Microsoft Flight Simulator, the Sidewinder controller, and the launch of the original Xbox, which he contributed greatly to. The original Xbox controller was nicknamed "The Duke," a name that originated from Schepf's son, who was very young at the time.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-and-celebration-of-life-for-brett-schnepf

Depression is a silent killer. Whether you know him as Brett or by one of his aliases he was everyone's best friend and Illuminated any room he walked into. On August 12th, 2020 the world became a darker place as Brett took his own life. The last words he left me were for Jack and I to take care of each other, and to not follow in his footsteps. In all honesty he had an amazing life and I'd be lucky to be half the man he was.

• Sad 1

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/21304112/microsoft-xbox-series-x-lockhart-leaked-document-specs-rumors

The leaked document also mentions a Lockhart profiling mode. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans tell The Verge that this special Lockhart mode is part of the Xbox Series X developer kit. The devkit, codenamed Dante, allows game developers to enable a special Lockhart mode that has a profile of the performance that Microsoft wants to hit with this second console. We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance. The Xbox Series X includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I don’t think Lockhart is an all together crazy idea. But there’s things on that chart that are concerning with it.

The difference between a 4 TF GPU and a 12.25 TF GPU will not be a straight up 1440p60 vs 4k60.  That might be the case for certain cross-gen and indie titles.  But with “next-gen support” it’s doubtful.  1440p60 can’t remain the target unless the goal is for games to look a generation behind at that resolution and framerate.  It comes across as short-sighted.

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes, because that’s how it will leak. MS has been tight lipped on pricing yet they told retail stores and some random worker can see it.
:|

She didn’t say it was a random retail worker. It could be an executive she knows, or some such thing. She does do advertising and stuff for some very large companies. 

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

She didn’t say it was a random retail worker. It could be an executive she knows, or some such thing. She does do advertising and stuff for some very large companies. 

An executive is going to risk their job to leak a price of a console to a gaming journalist...?