Resident Evil 3 Remake OT - The Great Escape

Pikachu

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I want to play on Hardcore mode to

I just played and beat the game, playing on Hardcore mode. It's not hard, but there is some item management and conservative ammo use compared to standard mode. I'm a very "kill zombies slowly with as few bullets as possible and maximize knife usage" while clearing rooms completely kind of player, and I saved often and did reloads if I didn't like how I took down all the zombies in a given location, if I felt I used too much ammo.

That being said, the game was never that hard and was still easier than even standard mode in RE2 (I felt). Regardless, I really enjoyed the game! I felt it was an improvement over the original, with the streamlining and plot changes making the game make more sense and more coherent (the constant searching for a helicopter over and over in the original was kind of stupid, I think). Granted, having certain content cut (the park, the clocktower) is sad to see, but we did see expanded content in other areas, and the length of both the original and the remake are pretty close to the same. RE3 was never as good as RE1/RE2, but it's still a lot of fun and the remake is so slickly made and looking, and plays so buttery smooth (I played on PC, to be fair) that it's worth the ride. It was like a blockbuster movie version of RE (in a good way, unlike the actual live-action films which are just okay). The game was very thrilling and at times exhilarating. I'm not touching the multiplayer game, so I'm not sure whether it's worth a full $60, but I felt it was worth it, or close to it.

I'm really excited to see what they remake next. I know rumors are RE8 is next rather than a remake, and that it was originally a spin-off project, Resident Evil: Revelations 3, until it became RE8. Allegedly they are keeping the first person view of RE7, so while turning a side-project into a mainline entry is usually not a great idea (though look at RE3, an example of mostly the opposite), it sounds promising. I want another remake more though, and if they ever do another one, I wish I knew which it was already. I'm not sure how sales of RE3 are doing overall, but I hope they are good enough to keep the remake train rolling. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just played and beat the game, playing on Hardcore mode. It's not hard, but there is some item management and conservative ammo use compared to standard mode. I'm a very "kill zombies slowly with as few bullets as possible and maximize knife usage" while clearing rooms completely kind of player, and I saved often and did reloads if I didn't like how I took down all the zombies in a given location, if I felt I used too much ammo.

Yeah one of Max's issues was Normal was easy, and Hardcore felt more like Normal and then Nightmare was the fun difficulty except the boss can two shot you so that sucked I guess.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not touching the multiplayer game, so I'm not sure whether it's worth a full $60, but I felt it was worth it, or close to it.

The multiplayer game comes with RE3 so you have it. That being said it seems really janky netcode wise but maybe if they cleared it up it could be ok.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The multiplayer game comes with RE3 so you have it. That being said it seems really janky netcode wise but maybe if they cleared it up it could be ok.

Yeah I know it comes with it, but I have no interest in the multiplayer so I was saying my $60 comment in regards to those who are similarly only interested in the campaign mode (if it alone is worth $60, without the multiplayer mode to consider).

I always take my time with these games, searching everything. Steam says I'm just over 7 hours in and I made it to the labs. Getting a bit tired, plus, I want to get some reading in before bed. I work tomorrow night, so I should be able to beat this thursday night, Friday at the latest.

Love these games and the remakes are excellent. I hope they do CV next.

10 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Yakuza 2's got me now. Fucking series is addictive. >_>

Right after I'm done with all this weirdass side quest goodness, I'll probably go back and play on Hardcore or Nightmare.

I wish I could get into Yakuza. I kept trying to play 0 but I just get bored. Sucks because it seems like something I’d love. Maybe it’s the fact it’s limited to fist fighting. 

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I wish I could get into Yakuza. I kept trying to play 0 but I just get bored. Sucks because it seems like something I’d love. Maybe it’s the fact it’s limited to fist fighting. 

There are many types of fist fighting, but honestly, I view it as part beat-em-up, part cabaret because the cabaret side game is addictive as all hell.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

There are many types of fist fighting, but honestly, I view it as part beat-em-up, part cabaret because the cabaret side game is addictive as all hell.

Yeah, I don't care about the cabaret stuff.

I like beat-em-ups, but more along the lines of Streets of Rage, Final Fight. Short, side-scrolling games.The open world, 30 or more hours of beat-em-up style feels more like a slow chore to me. Sucks, because the story seems good.

Maybe I'll give it another try sometime, but I played it several times last Summer and each time, I just couldn't be bothered to stick with it.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Nah it's great they kept it separate. I had no desire to download it and it saved me download time and hard drive space.

Should try it. The only game that let's you hit G Berkin with a 2 by 4.

6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I played the freebie (think it's called 'Not a Hero'), and it's quite good, actually!

Yeah, that's what I played, did it in one go last night, it was only 2 hours for me. Pretty good. Dunno if I wanna play End of Zoe, it's strictly hand combat, no weapons, it seems. I might give it a try.

I still need to play Claire's story in RE2.

I honestly don't know if Capcom should dare remaking RE4. The older ones were necessary due outdated hardware and controls schemes, but RE4 is still very playable. The ONLY thing I think they could get away with would be doing a remaster and just updating the character models and adding higher resolution textures. 

RE4 was a pretty long game and I have the sinking feeling they would cut stuff out... especially the 101 horrendous ways Leon could die.

EDIT: I saw the news story after I posted this. Let's just say I'm skeptical. I'll need to see what they got first.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:04 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I watched some people play and that was good enough. Watching them struggle through the input lag, good times.

I played six matches total in the beta demo and it's bargain bin tier at best. There's a reaaon they tacked this on for free. The melee especially is complete jank central garbage and the RE2R combat system feels out of place and not fun in a hectic multiplayer game like this.

I gave it a fair shot but it's kind of like that Friday The 13th game but even jankier and less entertaining.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you've not played RE3make yet, I recommend starting on hardcore. RE3 does have some item management and, "Can't unlock this yet," moments like in RE2, but normal doesn't have that much item management. Hardcore will give you more of it, not to the level of RE2, but a closer experience to it then normal would. I hear Nightmare feels significantly different than Hardcore, so eventually I'll have to try that.

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd love a Dino Crisis 1 and 2 remake. I have the originals, but never got around to them.

I started replaying the first one on a Dreamcast emulator, not for very long just to see how it would go. Wasn't bad. Maybe if I didn't have backlog of a million games I'd play it some more. :p

I finally received my rental on Saturday and sat down with it on Sunday morning. I initially meant to play it in one shot but fifty-thousand phone calls, texts and other shit later, I'll have to finish it tonight or tomorrow or whenever. I started on Hardcore having played RE2R quite a few times total on all difficulty settings so I wanted a challenge and resource management. I just finished cleaning up the hospital with Jill and stopped for the night since it seemed like I was about to enter, possibly, the final area? 

Especially after Nier: Automata, I've been having a lot of fun with the frantic pacing and the game in general but it certainly isn't without caveats. I just cannot shake the feeling that this and RE2R should've absolutely been combined into one game and it's something that keeps bugging me while playing. Both games are too lean in my opinion but with RE3, knowingly so but still, even circling back to the police station and going so far as to giving you the same damn locker puzzles with the same solution, come on. I played so much RE2R and there's so much overlap here in general that both games retrospectively feel a bit compromised due to them presumably separating the two. The cut elements and general "reimagining" aspects would've made much more sense if this would've been released as one package. I know there's no way they'd do that but I'd love to be able to play some Director's Cut some day that combines the two. 

Putting that aside, moment-to-moment it's often a really good game, kind of the cathartic Action outburst after RE2R's more methodical approach and I think it mostly works well and is fun. I generally dislike stalker enemies so I'm actually relieved to see Nemesis mainly relegated to boss fights, which have been cool, and boring but thankfully brief push-forward-for-awesome set pieces. The brief segments where he does appear as a legit stalker made me appreciate that even more considering he can quite literally warp in front of you blocking your path at light speed and then OHKO you. 

I think the other issue is that its brisk pacing, one of the very few areas being a revisit to the police station you probably just played to death last year and slightly too-frequent set pieces make the game feel even shorter than RE2R when in reality, I don't think it is. In that context especially though, I sorely miss the cut areas. Relegating the clock tower to a pamphlet note and a boss fight in front of it is really lame but again would've possibly made more sense pacing-wise had this been one big package I think.

I'll pick it up on sale later and end up replaying RE2R and RE3R back-to-back, it seems like that'd be the optimal way to experience both. First, the eerie atmospherics and slower pace and then the Action dash out of the city, two sides of the same coin. 

I'd rate them as follows:

RE2R 9/10

RE3R 7.5/10 

Also, two noticeable differences from RE2R are obviously the addition of the dodge mechanic and the noticeably reduced gore/damage models. Outside of Nemesis, including the boss fights, I'm not sure I've even once been able to get the dodge right against a zombie and I just stopped trying to use it. I'll engage with it and try to learn it on future playthroughs. The reduced damage models are a weird step back but I get it's probably due to the fact you have a much larger amount of them on screen at once, especially when shit hits the fan in the Carlos segments.

I haven't compared directly to RE2R obviously but I think the faces in this game are insane. The face and eyes for Tyrell Patrick combined with the quality of his voice acting especially kept taking me aback. In general, the graphics are gorgeous and I usually don't pay that much attention to technical aspects.

• stepee 1