Big swathe of Mormon community in Mexico murdered by the cartels

It happened in a remote farming community in Northern Mexico; most of the residents were dual Mexico/US citizens.

I think Mexico's really bordering on failed-state status.  Not just because the police and the military can't protect the populace, but because the cartels can also now defeat them militarily.  Clearly it's devolving into a feudal society run by these mafiosi.

Worse yet, a huge proportion of the money we send them gets funneled into the cartels via their contacts in the Mexican government.

It's so bad I'm not even sure legalizing every schedule 1 drug would topple the narco overlords, diversified as they are into other black markets. (kidnapping, assassination, child prostitution, etc.--stuff that simply can't be legalized)

This was brought up in the other thread and I'll repeat it here.

It's terrible that those women and children died. But the LeBaron clan's history is rooted in violence that continues to this day. And currently they are involved in the drug trade, human trafficking, and other ilicit activities. It's a shame that their family members have to get caught up in it.

31 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It happened in a remote farming community in Northern Mexico; most of the residents were dual Mexico/US citizens.

I think Mexico's really bordering on failed-state status.  Not just because the police and the military can't protect the populace, but because the cartels can also now defeat them militarily.  Clearly it's devolving into a feudal society run by these mafiosi.

Worse yet, a huge proportion of the money we send them gets funneled into the cartels via their contacts in the Mexican government.

It's so bad I'm not even sure legalizing every schedule 1 drug would topple the narco overlords, diversified as they are into other black markets. (kidnapping, assassination, child prostitution, etc.--stuff that simply can't be legalized)

Those Mormons aren't innocent.

The weapons are given to them by the US government, just like the USA armed Al Qaeda. 

Mexico needs a new Porfirio Díaz or Benito Juárez to destroy Anglo Saxon intervention like they did to Napoleon's Austrian puppet. 

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

It surely doesn't hurt that they border a country full of military-grade weapons run by a government that doesn't want to keep track of them.

The American war on drugs and Latin America's culture of corruption are more to blame for the violence then the guns I would argue.