Nintendo announces Ring Fit Adventure: Wii Fit x RPG

crispy4000

Who are these terrifying mother fuckers?! What was the direction given to these actors?! ACT super high energy to the point that people feel like you are being forced against your will to be happy and should you not comply we will kill your kids/spouse/family dog? Because if so, they are NAILING IT! :sun:

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

People only cared about being in shape in 2007?

Well I will stick to Beat Saber for my exercise. 2007 was the year Wii Fit came out. This to me is like Guitar Hero all over again. But that magic is over. It is a bit different but it is still some straps and accessories. It is not made of cardboard but ehh. I just don't know who the audience is. Is this the game that will convince people to buy a Switch that like motion controls? Is this to convince parents to play their kids switch? I know Nintendo wants that crowd back but this is not Wii Sports.

Edit: Also again those people are creepy af.

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

Well I will stick to Beat Saber for my exercise. 2007 was the year Wii Fit came out. This to me is like Guitar Hero all over again. But that magic is over. It is a bit different but it is still some straps and accessories. It is not made of cardboard but ehh. I just don't know who the audience is. Is this the game that will convince people to buy a Switch that like motion controls? Is this to convince parents to play their kids switch? I know Nintendo wants that crowd back but this is not Wii Sports.

Sounds like you're letting your biases toward another game (Beat Saber) and against non-VR peripherals clout your perspective.

This is another crazy Nintendo idea they'll push to market without much precedent on the Switch.  Who is it for?  Anyone who wants to try it.  It seems to have a similar demographic in mind as Wii Fit, but with a few more 'game' elements to extend the appeal beyond moms and weight-conscious people.  That to me, at least, sounds like a solid approach.

Whether it recaptures the Wii Fit/Sports craze is beside the point.  It doesn't need to.  Nintendo's doing just fine.  The Switch is selling about as well as the Wii, so why not try this?  Its a family console, these types of games could still sell like crazy.  (Or at least not half bad)

Its also an innovative idea:  A fitness RPG using a wheel exercise band.  No one else is doing this.  It's a genuinely new take on a fitness game, already an under-served genre.  Putting that in the same category as Guitar Hero, which saw ~15 plastic guitar games in 5 years, misses all sorts of context.

35 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Sounds like you're letting your biases toward another game (Beat Saber) and against non-VR peripherals clout your perspective.

This is another crazy Nintendo idea they'll push to market without much precedent on the Switch.  Who is it for?  Anyone who wants to try it.  It seems to have a similar demographic in mind as Wii Fit, but with a few more 'game' elements to extend the appeal beyond moms and weight-conscious people.  That to me, at least, sounds like a solid approach.

Whether it recaptures the Wii Fit/Sports craze is beside the point.  It doesn't need to.  Nintendo's doing just fine.  The Switch is selling about as well as the Wii, so why not try this?  Its a family console, these types of games could still sell like crazy.  (Or at least not half bad)

Its also an innovative idea:  A fitness RPG using a wheel exercise band.  No one else is doing this.  It's a genuinely new take on a fitness game, already an under-served genre.  Putting that in the same category as Guitar Hero, which saw ~15 plastic guitar games in 5 years, misses all sorts of context.

Bias? Hell You could say I'm the target audience. I buy all kinds of special controllers and peripherals. I could also go play My copy of WiiFit U and use the Nintendo pedometer. 

I'm just not hype on this. I think is will flop hard.

Good Nintendo is doing well not to count on this to be a success. They are in a place to take risks and that is fine.

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Bias? Hell You could say I'm the target audience. I buy all kinds of special controllers and peripherals. I could also go play My copy of WiiFit U and use the Nintendo pedometer. 

I'm just not hype on this. I think is will flop hard.

Good Nintendo is doing well not to count on this to be a success. They are in a place to take risks and that is fine.

I was referring to this comment: "It is a bit different but it is still some straps and accessories."   That came across as reductive to me.  Since you say you bought Wii Fit U, what makes this so unappealing but made a Nintendo pedometer purchase-worthy?

Also, how is your own lack of hype a good reason to think it will "flop hard"?  I wasn't hyped for Wii Fit or Labo and those sold plenty.  Precedent shows the install base matters most.  Wii Fit U flopped hard because no one had Wii U's.  It never became a mainstream family console.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Did Labo sell well? I thought it was kind of a bomb.

I think one of the kits pushed a million units in it's first year. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Still doesn't stop people from talking about it like it's a gaming peripheral and not a STEM toy for kids.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I guess they did ok just weren’t huge hits (which is fine). I expect this to do a lot better though. It has a larger target audience (everyone) and honestly I think some people just didn’t want to build stuff. 

Agree with that 100%.  I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't market this harder too.

... The real prize, though, is the adventure itself - a fully-featured RPG that, I'm told, could take you months to see through to the end if you pick it up for 30 minutes a day. You pick an avatar from the off - although your choice seems to be limited to gender - and then set about your adventure, travelling through some 20 worlds that get grander in size as you earn XP and level up to be able to take on Dragaux, a weightlifting dragon, at the story's end.

It's impressive how well Ring Fit Adventure works as a fully-functioning RPG. Within each level there are encounters with enemies that work as any good turn-based RPG should, with your moves replaced by 'Fit Skills' - activities, effectively, each with their own 'elemental' status so that some are more effective than others in any given situation, with the ability to take your own load-out into a level. Yoga moves can be used for healing, for example, while an activity that includes a sweep of the Ring-Con can strike multiple enemies at once.

I'm looking forward to finding out how Nintendo's new device can slot into my everyday life, and as someone who loves some of the company's more outlandish inventions - and who could definitely afford to lose a few pounds - I'm all for it. The Switch has delivered a fine succession of traditional games over the past few months, with a fair few more on the horizon too. Ring Fit Adventure, though, could be the most Nintendo of them all.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-12-nintendos-new-ring-con-is-a-welcome-return-to-wii-weirdness