Xbox Game Pass Discussion Thread - A Tremendous Value for Hundreds of Games and Day 1 Releases At Who Gives a Fuck/Month

Brian

Cloud-gaming-static-1080-jpg.jpg?fit=192
NEWS.XBOX.COM

At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere...

Can now play xCloud on browsers at Xbox.com/play and all servers running on Series X hardware.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Game Pass Discussion Thread - A Tremendous Value for Hundreds of Games and Day 1 Releases At Only $9.99/Month
40 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This who are looking for a controller for your smart phone to use XCloud, I recommend Backbone. I like it over Kishi but kishi is also pretty good. 

Realllllly? Worth paying for the difference if you already have a kishi?

40 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This who are looking for a controller for your smart phone to use XCloud, I recommend Backbone. I like it over Kishi but kishi is also pretty good. 

Backbone is iPhone only currently I think.  I would've picked one up if not.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Realllllly? Worth paying for the difference if you already have a kishi?

If you like the Kishi then no.  I had two issues with the Kishi. 
1. Due to its compact traveling design, the iPhone 11 Pro never got a snug fit in the Kishi due to the elastic back. It would move a bit while I held it. The backbone holds it much tighter due to its rigid backbone. Downside is that it’s less portable. I am ok with that sacrifice. 
2. The Kishi always felt a tad too small from the button layout to the handles you hold. The backbone is similar in size but feels more comfortable to hold and the layout feels better to me. The ergonomics suit me. 

I like the Kishi concave thumb sticks and dpad more bud like the triggers and buttons on the backbone. I also like the backbone software. 

Overall both controllers are very similar. I would only try the backbone if you don’t like the Kishi. 

• stepee 1

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If you like the Kishi then no.  I had two issues with the Kishi. 
1. Due to its compact traveling design, the iPhone 11 Pro never got a snug fit in the Kishi due to the elastic back. It would move a bit while I held it. The backbone holds it much tighter due to its rigid backbone. Downside is that it’s less portable. I am ok with that sacrifice. 
2. The Kishi always felt a tad too small from the button layout to the handles you hold. The backbone is similar in size but feels more comfortable to hold and the layout feels better to me. The ergonomics suit me. 

I like the Kishi concave thumb sticks and dpad more bud like the triggers and buttons on the backbone. I also like the backbone software. 

Overall both controllers are very similar. I would only try the backbone if you don’t like the Kishi. 

Wow that was a lot more detail than I expected lol. Thanks, yeah I don’t really dislike the kishi, I do wish I didn’t have to take the case off but that’s mostly resolved since I just leave my old iphone in the kishi perm.

55 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I have a Kishi laying around if you want it. I won’t be using it. 

I think I’ll be good, but thanks boo <3

There's far more competition now between Streaming services, but I think everyone would agree that the quality of content that's being produced between all the different services is probably the best it's ever been.  It's damn near impossible to keep up with everything when it feels like everyday I have a friend asking if I've seen this or that from the different services.   

Netflix losing content because its competitors are doing their own thing I don't think means Netflix has gotten worse.  Losing everything Disney has obviously is gonna set back a streaming service until they can retool their content.  The fact still remains that Netflix has put out a ton of good quality original content, and due to the success of Netflix and their model, Disney+ is now putting out a lot of high quality original content, Amazon is putting out a lot of high quality original content, and I'm assuming HBO+, Paramount, and whoever else will be putting out good content.  

The argument people try to make against Game Pass is it's going to lead to shovel ware and lower quality games, but I'd argue the opposite.  Microsoft has far more to gain by investing in higher quality games and putting out high quality first party content over shovel ware.  And the argument it won't be a sustainable model seems really disingenuous to me.  The success of Game Pass relies primarily on just scaling subscribers up.  I can't imagine the cost of running the service is going to change much on a per subscriber basis.  Some deals may be on a per download basis for payout, but scale would already solve that as well.

It's why I don't understand those that bring up the "It's unsustainable".  There are so many factors that come into the business model around a Game Pass that every other streaming service doesn't have the benefit of, that I think it will end up being a huge money maker for Microsoft in a few years.

• stepee 1

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Could you explain your method? I've tried a couple of times and just can't bring myself to keep doing all of that stuff :p

It's not really a method but dedication I suppose.

1. Do the daily set

2. Do the rewards on Xbox (If you get an achievement make sure to get the 50 points on the Xbox rewards app, especially if you get one over the course of days)

3. Be on the lookout for "monthly punch" cards

4. Game pass gives rewards as well

5. Use edge and do bing searches for things you'd normally do on google.

6. Use edge on your phone and do the same thing as above. :p

I guess if you don't want to use bing that much people just do nonsense searches to get the max up per day so you can do that as well.

Also keep in mind the longer your streak you get bonus points.

I have like 1.3 million rewards points right now.  I don't do the daily tasks anymore, even though they are really quick.  I just spend a decent amount of money on Xbox, and also have Bing set as my default search engine.  I don't use Edge as my main browser either.  I'm never sure how I get so many points all the time, but they add up quick.  I claimed like $400 worth of points a few years ago too.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I have like 1.3 million rewards points right now.  I don't do the daily tasks anymore, even though they are really quick.  I just spend a decent amount of money on Xbox, and also have Bing set as my default search engine.  I don't use Edge as my main browser either.  I'm never sure how I get so many points all the time, but they add up quick.  I claimed like $400 worth of points a few years ago too.

If you buy a lot of games on Xbox you get a lot of reward points. I don't buy a lot so I don't get rewards stacked up like you. :p

Yeah I don’t buy much I usually wait for sales. But If it’s a game I want day 1 I try to wait and see if it will have that 6000 point bonus and then buy it.

I have about 21000 points this month and I haven’t bought anything.

Edit I did buy Metro Exodus on sale for $23 to test out the update when I finish Last Light but that’s it.

For me, buying things goes against the idea of getting free stuff so I haven't bought anything in a while. When I have bought something it was pre-gamepass and I would use my reward points for microsoft store credit and then buy the game on sale. According to my account the last game I bought was (well actually) I used MS credit to get The Outer Worlds Expansion pack (September of last year) but before that Asassins Creed Origins in 2018 that was on sale for $28, but that was bought with MS credit.

But now it's just going to go into feeding Gamepass, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread I had just redeemed a year's worth!

18 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:
Cloud-gaming-static-1080-jpg.jpg?fit=192
NEWS.XBOX.COM

At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere...

Can now play xCloud on browsers at Xbox.com/play and all servers running on Series X hardware.

Just pulled this up on my work PC for shits and giggles, but damn didn't expect it to load MLB The Show in quite like that.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but not just like i'm on my console, lol

Was skeptical, but now hunting for a controller!

27 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Just pulled this up on my work PC for shits and giggles, but damn didn't expect it to load MLB The Show in quite like that.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but not just like i'm on my console, lol

Was skeptical, but now hunting for a controller!

Yeah so far its working good and I think it is using the new Xbox Series X servers since everything loads up quick. I tried Torchlight III and Xcloud works really well but then I tried The Show but it's really difficult to play due to latency and how accurate you have to be with your reaction times. I can see Xcloud working on PC for games were quick reflexes aren't needed. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

@ManUtdRedDevilsso I was playing strive on the kishi and was reminded how the left side pops up when you put stress on it. Is that what your issue was that backbone fixes?

Yes. The iPhone in the Kishi slides for me. I found myself adjusting it too often when I played. I don’t experience this issue with the Backbone. I just finished steaming Psychonauts with the Backbone for about 30 mins and didn’t need to adjust it once. 

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yes. The iPhone in the Kishi slides for me. I found myself adjusting it too often when I played. I don’t experience this issue with the Backbone. 

Noiiise. Should get the backbone wednesday! I’ll just keep my xs in the backbone as my main streaming/emulation/apple arcade portable, then have the razer if i want to use my main phone for something more intensive.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Noiiise. Should get the backbone wednesday! I’ll just keep my xs in the backbone as my main streaming/emulation/apple arcade portable, then have the razer if i want to use my main phone for something more intensive.

Have you used alt store with your iphone/backbone? It’s really sweet having it as an emulation handheld that can do anything up through dolphin (i haven’t tried ps2 on the iphone 12 but i’m assuming it’s still not there yet for mobile)). And you don’t even need to jailbreak to do it.

I just saw the gba pixel art thread on resetera and was happy to have a handheld again to easily run through old retro games when I get the nostalgic itch.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Have you used alt store with your iphone/backbone? It’s really sweet having it as an emulation handheld that can do anything up through dolphin (i haven’t tried ps2 on the iphone 12 but i’m assuming it’s still not there yet for mobile)). And you don’t even need to jailbreak to do it.

I just saw the gba pixel art thread on resetera and was happy to have a handheld again to easily run through old retro games when I get the nostalgic itch.

Never heard of the alt store. I’ll have to look into it. I have mainly used the Backbone to stream the PS5/XSX and use XCloud on my phone. 

@ManUtdRedDevilsgot the backbone today already!

Shit is LEGIT. Nobody get a kishi at this point, this feels so much fucking better. It’s more compact when attached, way more comfortable, holds it secure, buttons are all better, personally i think the dpad is better and much easier to get to, and most importantly it just feels like a real handheld now.

This is like pretty much exactly what I wanted now, kishi was just an almost there best at the time.

• stepee 1

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

@ManUtdRedDevilsgot the backbone today already!

Shit is LEGIT. Nobody get a kishi at this point, this feels so much fucking better. It’s more compact when attached, way more comfortable, holds it secure, buttons are all better, personally i think the dpad is better and much easier to get to, and most importantly it just feels like a real handheld now.

This is like pretty much exactly what I wanted now, kishi was just an almost there best at the time.

Approve South Park GIF

• 2 weeks later...