Sony acquires Insomniac Games

Pikachu

Edit: 

Press Release

Sony Interactive Entertainment ("SIE") announced today that SIE has entered into definitive agreements to acquire Insomniac Games, Inc. ("Insomniac Games"), a leading game developer and long-time partner of SIE, in its entirety. Insomniac Games is the developer of PlayStation®4's (PS4™) top-selling Marvel's Spider-Man and the hugely popular PlayStation® Ratchet & Clank franchise.  Upon completion of the acquisition, Insomniac Games will join the global development operation of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios ("SIE WWS"). Insomniac Games is the 14th studio to join the SIE WWS family. This addition furthers SIE's continued commitment to creative excellence and innovation in game development exclusively for the PlayStation platforms.

It makes sense given how aggressive MS has been at buying studios lately. I wouldn't be surprised if they already had a deal with Sony that would give Sony a chance to buy them if they got an offer from anyone else.

The only bummer here is that I imagine their VR stuff will go towards being PSVR only. Stormland looks freaking amazing, and I feel like it's exactly the kind of game that would be hampered by PSVRs limitations. I really hope the PS5 launches with a PSVR2 that has better controllers and inside out tracking, making it capable of experiences that aren't always forward facing.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

They paid for a studio that wouldve made exclusives for them anyway?

Would've made exclusives for them anyway... as long as Microsoft didn't buy them.

And considering that Insomniac and Microsoft have done games in the past, and the rate at which Microsoft has been buying larger indie studios, i would not be shocked if Microsoft had made them an offer.

13 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

Would've made exclusives for them anyway... as long as Microsoft didn't buy them.

And considering that Insomniac and Microsoft have done games in the past, and the rate at which Microsoft has been buying larger indie studios, i would not be shocked if Microsoft had made them an offer.

They made exclusives for MS too (see Sunset Overdrive) and even a multi-platform game (Song of the Deep).

Most of their recent output has been Mobile games and VR games for (primarily for Oculus).

14 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

That's assuming MS didn't already try to buy them. And yeah, they made an exclusive for MS that was great and didn't sell very well.

They were sitting in a great spot with Sony and would've continued to work closely with them. It's Sony's win for acquiring them, but i feel like they could've had their cake and ate it too by grabbing up a different indie dev and securing exclusivities from Insomniac for chump change.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

That's assuming MS didn't already try to buy them. And yeah, they made an exclusive for MS that was great and didn't sell very well.

They were sitting in a great spot with Sony and would've continued to work closely with them. It's Sony's win for acquiring them, but i feel like they could've had their cake and ate it too by grabbing up a different indie dev and securing exclusivities from Insomniac for chump change.

Insomniac has released quite a bit this gen outside of Sony and Microsoft, including an acclaimed VR game. It makes a ton of sense to lock it down, especially since employees from Insomniac has said Sony is the best publisher to work with when making a single-player narrative game like Spidey.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, Rodimus said:

This is a good spot for Insomniac. I agree in thinking this was in part a defensive move to not have them bought by Microsoft. I haven't played Spider-man but I plan to.

According to Jim Ryan (SIE President and CEO), he said in an investor meeting a while ago that due to increased competition (not just MS's acquisitions but Google and Epic as well), having a strong first party will be important in the future. So it likely goes well beyond MS.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

According to Jim Ryan (SIE President and CEO), he said in an investor meeting a while ago that due to increased competition (not just MS's acquisitions but Google and Epic as well), having a strong first party will be important in the future. So it likely goes well beyond MS.

Yes, That is a bigger view. There are a lot of big pocketbooks looking to increase their first party output and control. The long view is look at what the movie industry is doing with the up and continued streaming wars. Insomniac has made some great games for Sony and have had very few missteps along the way (Fuse).

With the climate now do what do you think will be the next developer picked up by Sony, Microsoft, Google, or Epic? Is Amazon still in the game?