Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Got a new cool greatsword and a whip neither which I can use because of dex. Okay fucking fine I’ll grind out the damn 5 levels to put specifically in dex.

Okay that was pretty quick lol. About an hour and 15 minutes for 5 levels, which at my level (92 now!) is 225k ruins or so, ntb. Thank you

Fort Faroth

. Also works out well because it gives level 2 and 3 smith stone drops as well for some of these weapons I did this for. It’s just my usual kind of run in and kill a bunch of shit grind spot, so it’s good practice time too.

ya idk about the blood fang, it’s powerful for sure but it’s not as fun to play as colossal swords to me, I love the weight of those when they hit, feels so good. I got the grafted blade greatsword yesterday and I think my first sombering stone +5 is going to that instead of blood fang.

2 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Some questions and thoughts on the game from a From Software/Souls newb.

First, thank you to those that responded and nudged me towards the game. I'm really enjoying it.

Thoughts:

The game for me is at it's best in the open world. I love how the map works and find the SoG and respawn system works. I like how the world is so interesting with stuff to see and do and that most of it can be found by looking critically at the map. So far I've taken down several world bosses (both the horsemen bosses, the dragon, several of the mini-dungeons, and Margit.

Quests:

I like that they are there and how they don't automatically put an icon on your map leading you exactly to the spot. However, some sort of a log to let you know that there is something to do in X area would probably be a good Quality of Life improvement. 

Stormveil Castle:

I've headed here as my next step and am reminded why I've avoided Souls games for the most part so far. I don't mind the tough encounters but I do mind having 5-10 minutes of replaying an area over and over again to get back to those really aggravating Banished Knights. I've died to those things more times than any of the bosses (probably combined). The bosses, you respawn close can quickly re-engage to learn how they fight and devise a strategy. They seem to continually attack me without breaking and have long enough range it's tough to get distance to heal. So if anyone has any tips for these asshole's I'd love to hear it (playing Vagabond, mostly with a Dex/Str build and using a +2 Bloodhounds fang ATM). The ones I've taken down so far I basically get them with a backstab, bloodhounds finesse, then a jump attack. However when I have to face them head on they almost always take me out because of their combination of range and frequent combos make it difficult to hit then retreat.

For what it's worth, I have similar struggles with other "elite" type shield/spear enemies. So any tips on those I'd love to hear.

You need to guard counter those Banished Knights. Also use gold pickled fowl foot to fight them, cuz they drop the best vagabond early game uograde?

Do you have a good tower shield? Or a brass shield? The brass shield is very good, especially later when upgraded, with the right ashe of war it's guard boost can get right to 100 (meaning no stamina used when blocking). It's in the 80's without the ashe of war. I think its Golden block, or something similar. Hard to remember, it's been a week.

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You need to guard counter those Banished Knights. Also use gold pickled fowl foot to fight them, cuz they drop the best vagabond early game uograde?

Do you have a good tower shield? Or a brass shield? The brass shield is very good, especially later when upgraded, with the right ashe of war it's guard boost can get right to 100 (meaning no stamina used when blocking). It's in the 80's without the ashe of war. I think its Golden block, or something similar. Hard to remember, it's been a week.

First question... Guard Counter is just when you're holding block and they hit right? If so how do you Guard counter without running out of Stamina.

Yes, I have a Brass Shield. I'll have to look for that Ash of War if that will help to block those bastards.

15 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Guard Counter is just when you're holding block and they hit right?

Press R2/RT immediately after successfully blocking an attack to perform a guard counter 

15 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

If so how do you Guard counter without running out of Stamina

You don't! But for real, not sure how they work now with the patch, but the early game is harsh on stamina when blocking. Invest more points into Endurance and get a Greatshield if you want to be a shield user. 

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

A shield with the Barricade Shield ability makes can make guard counters really easy in a lot of situations. I’m still using the Turtle Shell shield I found pretty early on because it also boosts stamina recovery. 

The Brass shield is meta

Finally reached the third main great rune boss 77 hours in! Holy crap this is a lonnnnnng game. I was at my stopping point for the night so I’ll beat him tomorrow. 

Also I noticed that attack power wasn’t even going to go up anymore (i’m strength 60, level 97, attack power is now 501) adding more to strength but dexterity actually is still adding to attack power, so I guess actually if attack power is my jam that is what I want to level now instead of strength?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Finally reached the third main great rune boss 77 hours in! Holy crap this is a lonnnnnng game. I was at my stopping point for the night so I’ll beat him tomorrow. 

Also I noticed that attack power wasn’t even going to go up anymore (i’m strength 60, level 97, attack power is now 501) adding more to strength but dexterity actually is still adding to attack power, so I guess actually if attack power is my jam that is what I want to level now instead of strength?

It depends on the weapon you're using  some weapons scale based on strength and some based on dexterity.  Sounds like you are using a dex scaling weapon but you put a bunch of points in strength.

About to beat the game and my pre-final boss number 1 take away is that the boss music in this game sucks when compared to all other FROM titles from DeS onward. There is not one at this point that has stuck in my head. It is a shame. 

10 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

Stormveil Castle:

I've headed here as my next step and am reminded why I've avoided Souls games for the most part so far. I don't mind the tough encounters but I do mind having 5-10 minutes of replaying an area over and over again to get back to those really aggravating Banished Knights. I've died to those things more times than any of the bosses (probably combined). The bosses, you respawn close can quickly re-engage to learn how they fight and devise a strategy. They seem to continually attack me without breaking and have long enough range it's tough to get distance to heal. So if anyone has any tips for these asshole's I'd love to hear it (playing Vagabond, mostly with a Dex/Str build and using a +2 Bloodhounds fang ATM). The ones I've taken down so far I basically get them with a backstab, bloodhounds finesse, then a jump attack. However when I have to face them head on they almost always take me out because of their combination of range and frequent combos make it difficult to hit then retreat.

I think if you guard against these guys you're a sitting duck.

1. Try avoid engagement altogether, go in for the backstab (most of these knights are standing by themselves or have some fodder enemy nearby) - If there is a fodder guy, draw him off with an arrow or dart, take him out and wait for the knight to go back to where he is. Then sneak up and backstab the dude. It should only take a couple more hits to kill him off.

2. If you're engaging them head on then roll into them / very close to them (with good timing) and you can get some good shots on them, don't go in with huge combos maybe a one two then out, then repeat your rolls.

Used all of my Flasks but I one shot the final boss. I even one shot:

Spoiler

the boss leading up to the final boss. Pretty cool to have like 3, maybe 4 to 5-ish if you want to count the hidden boss of the last legacy dungeon and the end boss of that dungeon. Well, I guess one is a mini-boss but still. That mini-boss led up to the boss that led up to the final boss, and that mini-boss fucking killed me whereas the last two bosses didn't. 

The ending I picked wasn't as cool as I was expecting. Heh, cool... 

Finally got a jellyfish shield and a formidable greatsword I've got the stats to use. Grinded to level 50 yesterday and one shotted Margit on the first try, then Godrick.  So far the toughest enemies in the game for me are the NPC that invades the table of lost grace area and the boss that guards the minor erdtree in caelid.  Most of the bosses and minibosses feel tame compared to previous Fromsoft games, but aside from that, to say this is a blast is an understatement. I know the devs said they're focusing on new IPs, but given the response to this I wonder how likely a sequel is now?

14 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

First question... Guard Counter is just when you're holding block and they hit right? If so how do you Guard counter without running out of Stamina.

Yes, I have a Brass Shield. I'll have to look for that Ash of War if that will help to block those bastards.

Guard Boost. The higher it is, the less stamina you spend blocking. If Guard Boost is 100, ypu spend no stamina to block. 

A fully upgraded brass shield (+25) with Barricade active gives you 100% Guard Boost. 

34 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

Finally got a jellyfish shield and a formidable greatsword I've got the stats to use. Grinded to level 50 yesterday and one shotted Margit on the first try, then Godrick.  So far the toughest enemies in the game for me are the NPC that invades the table of lost grace area and the boss that guards the minor erdtree in caelid.  Most of the bosses and minibosses feel tame compared to previous Fromsoft games, but aside from that, to say this is a blast is an understatement. I know the devs said they're focusing on new IPs, but given the response to this I wonder how likely a sequel is now?

Oh, whether its a direct sequel we don't know, but Bandai Namco is already using words like "Franchise", and are talking about creating merchandise. My bet would be on a sequel coming, but he may decide to make his next game in a different mythology. 

Miyazaki is president of FromSoft, and directs two teams. I wonder what the second team is working on? I know they talked about Mech Warrior, but I can't see them putting the souls series on pause to do that. And id really like some Mech Warrior, but not at the expense of more Soulsborne 😑

I also wonder when we get a dlc/expansion announcement. Theres definitely unused stuff in the code for this game, and still a bunch of mysterious things going unused. Like the coliseum in northern Caelid, Guarded by the Giant Cool-Aid man. 

Theres also an island just off the coast of Stormveil, that by the map looks to have some kind of ruins on it, and I have no idea if it is possible to get there. But knowing Miyazaki and his game design, it's not on the map for nothing.

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Guard Boost. The higher it is, the less stamina you spend blocking. If Guard Boost is 100, ypu spend no stamina to block. 

A fully upgraded brass shield (+25) with Barricade active gives you 100% Guard Boost. 

shit I guess I should upgrade my brass shield. I’ve completely ignored that and I’m level 70 lol

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Theres also an island just off the coast of Stormveil, that by the map looks to have some kind of ruins on it, and I have no idea if it is possible to get there. But knowing Miyazaki and his game design, it's not on the map for nothing.

You're not talking about the island directly west of Stormveil are you?

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

About to beat the game and my pre-final boss number 1 take away is that the boss music in this game sucks when compared to all other FROM titles from DeS onward. There is not one at this point that has stuck in my head. It is a shame. 

I'm 33 hours in and I would go so far as to say the music in this game is bad. I dunno whose brainwave it was to have the main sound associated with the opening area be a sustained tone, but yikes.