Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

I got pwned by the AI as a hunter. I got spawned by 3 (wolves) and 1 wolf rider. Killed the wolves but the wolf rider got me before I could finish him off.

Another funny one that happened to me this morning. I was following an invader and ended up agroing a dragon. The invader killed me but I did enough damage the host finished him off. Felt bad about the whole dragon thing though.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well then, I’ll give it a shot in about 50 hours!

edit: I’m hoping this is at least one of the last bosses!

Spoiler

Optional boss, but pretty much everyone agrees the hardest in the game.  Just some really cheesy gimmicks that make it very very difficult.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Performance definitely improved. I was getting inexplicable drops to 45 fps in some areas, but that issue is gone now, getting 60 FPS everywhere on high settings with my 3060. Far fewer stutters too, and when it does happen, its only a couple milliseconds as opposed to hundreds of milliseconds like it used to be. On Steam Deck, performance should be sublime now with Valve's improvements. Some work is still needed on windows, but it's way better now.

Yeah deck seems perfect just about so they can do what ever they want as soon as I move there. I dont have performance issues really on my 3080, though i did switch to 1800p once I moved further up in the map to make sure I’m always over 60fps since hdr+gsync in this game gives a weird highlighting effect when panning the camera.

It’s just the stutters I’m super sensitive to, and it had to do some stutters in areas that had already compiled and were fine before patch. I haven’t checked new area yet to see if overall it has improved at all, but I don’t see how that’s possible to any great degree until they change their method.

That said, bigger issue is this morning all of the sudden the game isn’t even launching and getting stuck on a white screen before the Namco logo goes up :/

I hope reinstall fixes this, googling troubleshooting tricks for games is more and more annoying as thousands of fake helpful tip sites are out there now for every game with generic bullshit. And on Steam forums everything is a perfect unicorn so that’s useless.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I'm 150 going into Trump's wife as well. 

I read that some other weapons prob would make it much easier.  I never have used Bloodhounds Sword so not sure just how much better it is.  I probably should have tried it.

It wasn't nearly as bad with the Mimic, but still felt like a lot of the fight was just luck.  You just pray she doesn't use certain abilities and moves. 

How Valve fixed Elden Ring on Steam Deck (Eurogamer)

One of the most intriguing stories to emerge from the launch of Steam Deck was the news that Valve leveraged their Linux-based Proton compatibility layer to effectively fix the problematic PC version of Elden Ring. Directly after finishing my Steam Deck review, I captured Elden Ring running 'out of the box' without Valve's optimisations in play, then tried out the 'fixed' experience. Were the issues truly resolved - and if so, how did Valve do it? In addition to that, we've since had a couple of further patches, which raises another crucial question: is Elden Ring on PC now fixed?

Going back to our launch PC coverage, the stutter in the game was unbearable, with our working theory being that we were looking at yet another PC game suffering from shader compilation issues: split-second pauses whenever a new visual effect came into play. We've talked about this a lot recently: it's not an issue on consoles because the fixed nature of the hardware means that shaders are pre-compiled and included in the package. However, in a PC, where hardware spec varies so dramatically, the process is more complicated. In this respect, Steam Deck has an advantage, because it is a fixed piece of hardware, just like a console.

"On the Linux/Proton side, we have a pretty extensive shader pre-caching system with multiple levels of source-level and binary cache representations pre-seeded and shared across users," Valve's Pierre-Loup Griffais told us. "On the Deck, we take this to the next level, since we have a unique GPU/driver combination to target, and the majority of the shaders that you run locally are actually pre-built on servers in our infrastructure. When the game is trying to issue a shader compile through its graphics API of choice, those are usually skipped, as we find the pre-compiled cache entry on disk."

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I hope reinstall fixes this, googling troubleshooting tricks for games is more and more annoying as thousands of fake helpful tip sites are out there now for every game with generic bullshit. And on Steam forums everything is a perfect unicorn so that’s useless.

Reinstall did not fix it so so checked event viewer and it’s RTSS crashing it now. Loads up when I turn it off now, something in the patch must not like it.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man I do REALLY like how this greatsword colossal sword hits, feels so weighty and good.

Did you ever try the Bloodhound's Fang? You get it early on and once you level it up it's a beast.

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did you ever try the Bloodhound's Fang? You get it early on and once you level it up it's a beast.

I remember you guys talking about it but I never came across it myself. I have this Greatsword at level 11 currently and it’s doing some serious work. I also just love how the heavy swords feel, I bet they could be cool with dualsense.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

I remember you guys talking about it but I never came across it myself. I have this Greatsword at level 11 currently and it’s doing some serious work. I also just love how the heavy swords feel, I bet they could be cool with dualsense.

There is this place in Limgrave that will teleport you to a boss fight. Beat the bosd and you get the blood fang. The place is towards the south of the land mass and it's called an evargol or something like that.

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

14 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

There is this place in Limgrave that will teleport you to a boss fight. Beat the bosd and you get the blood fang. The place is towards the south of the land mass and it's called an evargol or something like that.

loacation:

Spoiler

2de977e4a800276e054d7fb01c492239.jpg

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I read that some other weapons prob would make it much easier.  I never have used Bloodhounds Sword so not sure just how much better it is.  I probably should have tried it.

It wasn't nearly as bad with the Mimic, but still felt like a lot of the fight was just luck.  You just pray she doesn't use certain abilities and moves. 

Bloodhound Fang has really good bleed buildup.

I got the blood fang now but it wants 5 more levels of dex and I’m not sure if I want to bother with that over just using the greatsword for now, I’ll keep it to consider later. I also went back and beat that dragon

protecting the glintstone key

allllll by myself, I’m amazing now.

Turns out you did not need the Gostoc alive. Finished Kenny's and Nelly's quest. Just happened to notice Kenneth's disappear after finishing a different NPC quest so I realized that the quest had advanced to the next stage randomly. Neto. 

I'm like 150+ hours in I think at this point.

I played every Souls game starting mid January to the week before this dropped, (finished Sekiro).

The fact I still don't really want the game to end after all of that, is a testament to just how well designed and made the game is.  Just about every other open world game, I hit a point where I just focus main story to finish the game as quick as possible.

Still believe this is the best game I've ever played.

35 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm like 150+ hours in I think at this point.

I played every Souls game starting mid January to the week before this dropped, (finished Sekiro).

The fact I still don't really want the game to end after all of that, is a testament to just how well designed and made the game is.  Just about every other open world game, I hit a point where I just focus main story to finish the game as quick as possible.

Still believe this is the best game I've ever played.

I loved HFW. At 45 hours, I was fed up with the collectathon and finished the game.

70 hours into Elden Ring and I just keep getting more excited.

I said I was going to attempt to one-shot Trump's wife. I went to into the fight all nervous cuz I really wanted to one-shot it and I've never went into a boss fight trying to one-shot it with all of my might. It was giving me conniptions and my heart was beating a mile a minute. Turns out I got worked up over nothing. Video of my encounter in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I got worked up for nothing BECAUSE I WENT IN NOT EVEN REALIZING THERE WAS A PHASE 2 WITH FULL HP AND SO I PLAYED LIKE THERE WAS ONLY ONE PHASE AND GOT FUCKED HARD. Yeah, I beat phase one first try lol. Man, when that second cutscene played I literally started laughing because I knew I was fucked. Totally DID NOT expect a second phase reset. I mean, I thought Mohg was actually going to be the harder of the two. I figured there would be a Phase 2 but that it would start when her HP got low like with every other boss in the entire game so far. Never would have thought the bar reaching 0 wouldn't have been the end of it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I already know the moves for that final boss.

Antler Ram

Ranged(magical?) Quill attack

Turns into a spike ball, rolls on the ground, jumps into the air back side down, and finishes with either an golden faith AoE from the antlers or does a wake up golden spin swipe. 

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I said I was going to attempt to one-shot Trump's wife. I went to into the fight all nervous cuz I really wanted to one-shot it and I've never went into a boss fight trying to one-shot it with all of my might. It was giving me conniptions and my heart was beating a mile a minute. Turns out I got worked up over nothing. Video of my encounter in the spoiler.

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

i don’t want to spoil the fight i just want to know if you did one shot it

1 minute ago, stepee said:

i don’t want to spoil the fight i just want to know if you did one shot it

This spoiler will have no spoilers. I just want to create suspense.

Spoiler

FUCK NO! Due to information I was lacking there was never a chance in a million years I would have ever one shot it. I would have needed to know 1 specific thing to even stand a chance. 

• Shocked 1

Friend surprised me with a copy of the game a day ago for my PS5.  Have about 6 hours into it now and so far I'm liking it.  A bit overwhelming and I have no idea what 90% of the things in my inventory are for yet, but I've been having fun wandering around.  Beat one mini boss I found in an early cave, but after getting wrecked by a cat mini boss, I've decided to grind a bit to try to boost my stats.