Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I think you can only summon once. Usually the blue icon goes away so you can't summon again. The dead AI helpers, however, do resurrect if they don't get hit on the ground when they die the first time (if he means undead)

It’s a special mechanic to that boss fight. A bunch of dudes are there for a “tournament”, and you can keep summoning them to help you. But for me, they stopped doing pretty much any damage once the boss hits his second phase. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Not really. I don’t get any of that. It’s kinda like Oblivion/Skyrim. That stuff doesn’t freak me out. It’s just mid-evil. 

I mean a game that you said you're scared of like TLOU2 is no scarier when comparing creatures in Elden Ring. There's "zombie" like enemies in Elden Ring and the atmosphere can be very creepy. I was just curious and I'm glad you are really giving this game a shot. You seem to be doing very well.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I mean a game that you said you're scared of like TLOU2 is no scarier when comparing creatures in Elden Ring. There's "zombie" like enemies in Elden Ring and the atmosphere can be very creepy. I was just curious and I'm glad you are really giving this game a shot. You seem to be doing very well.

TLoU2 is definitely scarier than this, imo.

• True 2

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

In what way? I find them identical in fear factor. Especially how tense it is to stay alive in battle. 

I mean, TLoU is a post apocalyptic horror game, Elden Ring is fantasy. Its eerie, but I haven't seen anything I'd describe as horror or anything. Certainly nothing on the level of Rat King and the desperation of that fight. Nothing in Elden Ring has struck me as scary at all. 

• True 1

TLoU is scary because it’s brutally violent and encounters are tense as you are not meant to Rambo your way through the game. Elden Ring has fantasy monsters and some grotesque stuff, but the violence is basically cartoony and tension is done through sheer difficulty of encounters and the violence just doesn’t have the weight TLoU does.

• True 2

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

TLoU is scary because it’s brutally violent and encounters are tense as you are not meant to Rambo your way through the game. Elden Ring has fantasy monsters and some grotesque stuff, but the violence is basically cartoony and tension is done through sheer difficulty of encounters and the violence just doesn’t have the weight TLoU does.

I agree with this and the points @BloodyHell made. You guys set me straight. :p

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, I'm level 210 now and I've completely spec'd and geared up to be a pure mage. Holy hell can I lay waste to bosses! To give you a sense of my second run compared to my first, I'm nearly done with it! Crazy fast run! 

You have to be joking. I do not...no, I WIll not believe any of this! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You have to be joking. I do not...no, I WIll not believe any of this! 

Its all true man! How I'm doing is a spoiler, but completely game legal, no cheats, just stacking powers to great effect! See below if you want to know how:

Spoiler

I'm using this build with the Azur Armor Set, the right tears for my boost potion, and the best gear to go with the Azur Comet attack, AKA blue death beam. Watch this video to get a taste of what it can do:

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The second playthrough being a lot faster makes sense, especially since like 90% of it is optional, right?

Yup, I'm mostly just blowing through it to grab upgrade materials that there are a finite amount of per playthrough. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

TLoU2 is definitely scarier than this, imo.

This. Even the atmosphere of sneaking around is intense as fuck. 

I'm just shy of 30 hours in (level 50, just got my 2nd greater rune)

This game is incredible. I liked the souls games but all the backtracking and lack of checkpoints (especially in earlier games) made them really a chore to play at times. With elden ring I feel like playing in shorter bursts to be a much more worthwhile endeavor. It really nails the open world format too.

Made some progress again today and got to the second greater ruin area finally after exploring all around kind of aimlessly.

Have a nice new grinding spot right before you enter the second greater rune area heading back you can get an easy 3k in about 2 minutes taking everyone out with a summon helping for that weird skull on wheels thing. Got to level 60 which I think might be kinda of high for this part so hopefully it shouldn’t be too hard to push through some main story progress tomorrow. Picked up a bunch of smithing stones while grinding it though not the level 4 I need now but that should be nice if I ever find another weapon I like or I could upgrade my bow.

Also getting the summons to work is so needlessly obtuse lol. I guess I didn’t go to this one spot early enough to trigger the normal way to get the item you need to be able to do it so I had to just know that I needed to buy this one item. It doesn’t really tell you that you need an item at all to be able to do them either so you don’t even know to look for something. It’s just bad design but like everything with the game I’m sure it gets defended as some sort of intentional genius. 

I tried to beat the

glintstone dragon

for awhile but it just isn’t happening yet since just touching its flames one hit kills me. Since not being able to take a single hit is the only reason why it can beat me which isn’t a fun thing for me on a rather long fight I’ll just wait until I’m op at level 75 or something. I did beat that tree guardian avatar whatever boss all by myself like a big boy so I was p proud of that.

I am really enjoying it but the game does definitely waste a lot of your time and not always in a good way. Definitely something I would have loved the ability to play on steam deck as well to watch tv while grinding some stuff out or trying harder bosses. 

It does some things VERY well, level and world (besides narrative) design really is on best of class level. The building inwards it does for open world design, rather than simply building outwards like everything else, I have indeed been waiting for games to do that. 

It’s just unfortunate I feel that there is this feedback loop with Miyazaki’s design that due to the nature of its fan base not wanting to criticize/enjoying the gate keeping itself and probably also just people within the company buying into the idea of the genius auteur and thus being surrounded by yes men and women, there isn’t as much opportunity to refine the parts of the series that legitimately could use refinement (mostly qol, technical, accessibility). 

I kind of think of my feelings towards this game as akin to an amusement park. The lines are boring but the rides make up for it. I kind of push through some moments where I’m just bored because yeah the rides are really good but if people would stop encouraging long lines they could just get rid of them and have it be more consistently fun for people, especially those not as good at playing video games.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Made some progress again today and got to the second greater ruin area finally after exploring all around kind of aimlessly.

Have a nice new grinding spot right before you enter the second greater rune area heading back you can get an easy 3k in about 2 minutes taking everyone out with a summon helping for that weird skull on wheels thing. Got to level 60 which I think might be kinda of high for this part so hopefully it shouldn’t be too hard to push through some main story progress tomorrow. Picked up a bunch of smithing stones while grinding it though not the level 4 I need now but that should be nice if I ever find another weapon I like or I could upgrade my bow.

Also getting the summons to work is so needlessly obtuse lol. I guess I didn’t go to this one spot early enough to trigger the normal way to get the item you need to be able to do it so I had to just know that I needed to buy this one item. It doesn’t really tell you that you need an item at all to be able to do them either so you don’t even know to look for something. It’s just bad design but like everything with the game I’m sure it gets defended as some sort of intentional genius. 

I tried to beat the

Reveal hidden contents

for awhile but it just isn’t happening yet since just touching its flames one hit kills me. Since not being able to take a single hit is the only reason why it can beat me which isn’t a fun thing for me on a rather long fight I’ll just wait until I’m op at level 75 or something. I did beat that tree guardian avatar whatever boss all by myself like a big boy so I was p proud of that.

I am really enjoying it but the game does definitely waste a lot of your time and not always in a good way. Definitely something I would have loved the ability to play on steam deck as well to watch tv while grinding some stuff out or trying harder bosses. 

It does some things VERY well, level and world (besides narrative) design really is on best of class level. The building inwards it does for open world design, rather than simply building outwards like everything else, I have indeed been waiting for games to do that. 

It’s just unfortunate I feel that there is this feedback loop with Miyazaki’s design that due to the nature of its fan base not wanting to criticize/enjoying the gate keeping itself and probably also just people within the company buying into the idea of the genius auteur and thus being surrounded by yes men and women, there isn’t as much opportunity to refine the parts of the series that legitimately could use refinement (mostly qol, technical, accessibility). 

I kind of think of my feelings towards this game as akin to an amusement park. The lines are boring but the rides make up for it. I kind of push through some moments where I’m just bored because yeah the rides are really good but if people would stop encouraging long lines they could just get rid of them and have it be more consistently fun for people, especially those not as good at playing video games.

Wtf did you take before writing this post?

• Haha 1