Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

I did play a bit more of this last night while I waited for Horizon to reinstall and I’m a bit more hopeful I can make this work. I found you can easily grind in the area before that Margit or whatever guy by hitting them from behind and was able to practice while leveling up.

If I can play this like a Castlevania doing that to just over level myself then that can work for me. Did some exploring too and got some new gear but didn’t get any sword improvements besides having the sword smith guy upgrade it. Leveled up to 21, which in of itself is a big accomplishment for me in these games. I can get the boss guy down to about half his health atm so I guess I’ll try finding more stuff to do while leveling up more when I return to it after Horizon. Promising start though for sure, almost skipped it and glad I didn’t.

17 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Hide contents

3b4.png

Back on topic, the "Explosion" physick is really good for PvP. A lot of players barely have any points invested in vigor and you can easily one shot (or get really close to) a good number of them while just barely surviving yourself.

unknown.png

(Confused if meme is making fun of "git gud")

Magic is really powerful. I hace PTSD from thr Raya Academy from the dudes spamming magic projectiles at you. I think I am gonna go into Vitality now that I have soft cap dex, have enough str, and I think my stamina is good. I can do like 4-5 hits and still have enough left to dodge. 

I am trying to advance in the an area more suited to my level (Caelid) but I ne3d to grind coop to get more rune arcs. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You guys dual wielding, two handing or sword and boarding? Blocking is kinda pointless in this game so I focus on two handing for the most part. In DS3 I two handed.

Usually dual.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I am aware; this is dumb. If it’s stuff like lore? Fine, I get it. You don’t need to know what is happening is Bloodborne to have a good time with it and honestly, more games should be less up their own ass about these things. For stuff like quests? No, it’s just bad design.

Nah. Its a breath of fresh air, honestly.

Edit: and I mean that. Just organically doing quests through exploration and communication with others, without the headache and social drama of mmo's, with incredible combat where I can just go, wherever I want. Thats interesting to me. Im not compelled by lists and map markers, which frankly overwhelm me a lot of the time. 

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Starscourge Radahn... not down... 

He is next on my hitlist. Debating though if I should go looking for the stones I need to hit plus 15 on my halberd or go for him after I finish what I am doing. Got a quest from a waifu I want to complete. It unlocks annundergrounf area.

20 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

He is next on my hitlist. Debating though if I should go looking for the stones I need to hit plus 15 on my halberd or go for him after I finish what I am doing. Got a quest from a waifu I want to complete. It unlocks annundergrounf area.

I too am working on a quest for a waifu, and a second im working towards with Blaidd and his waifu.

So this boss guy, Margit I think it was, what level about should I try to really beat him? Using a sorcerer summon I can get him to about half way by swinging heavy at him when he goes after the summon ghost thingy but then 1 on 1 I don’t make much progress after the summon dies.

I know I’ll prob need a new sword and saw something about a blood smtn, I took a screenshot from earlier in the thread to find it. Also read some wolves ashes thing I’ll prob look for that can send a bunch of ghost wolves to distract him. But what about level should I be?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

So this boss guy, Margit I think it was, what level about should I try to really beat him? Using a sorcerer summon I can get him to about half way by swinging heavy at him when he goes after the summon ghost thingy but then 1 on 1 I don’t make much progress after the summon dies.

I know I’ll prob need a new sword and saw something about a blood smtn, I took a screenshot from earlier in the thread to find it. Also read some wolves ashes thing I’ll prob look for that can send a bunch of ghost wolves to distract him. But what about level should I be?

20 you should be able to beat him. 30 you should mostly destroy him. 25 is a happy medium. Also use fire grease if you have any, Margit is weak to it.

XsWVFe3.jpg

Used the ring where you get summoned to defend people from invaders. Greeted the two invaders, then we did guard dancing (L1 spam) and then I used the mimic item to turn into a tree, so all three of us were trees just gathered in the big lump you see there, moving in circles.

Was a ton of fun, eventually we knew we had to fight, so we got down to it and they fought me 1v1 like true gentlemen, they both got killed and I guard danced to honor their memory before going home.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

20 you should be able to beat him. 30 you should mostly destroy him. 25 is a happy medium. Also use fire grease if you have any, Margit is weak to it.

Ok I’ll try him back when I’m 25 and hopefully with some new stuff ty. Now I just gotta finish Horizon so I can actually dive in.

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Lower left hand corner of the map has the point for it.

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

Open up map and push all the way to the bottom left corner

Yikes. Thank you!

I finally beat Red Wolf of Radagon which is the 3rd main story boss for me. I summoned 2 people and we litteraly took him down in 20 seconds. 

After that I drifted off to explore and found two bosses that killed me with one hit. I'm like wtf... I guess being level 55 means absolutely nothing! I was on my way to what I think is the fourth boss and a giant jumped off the top of a castle with a flame sword and killed me with two stomps.

I didn't even get access to the fourth boss and this giant destroys me. What level do you have to be to beat that fucker? I leveled up my broadsword which was nice.

This game is awesome but can get overwhelming. Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

XsWVFe3.jpg

Used the ring where you get summoned to defend people from invaders. Greeted the two invaders, then we did guard dancing (L1 spam) and then I used the mimic item to turn into a tree, so all three of us were trees just gathered in the big lump you see there, moving in circles.

Was a ton of fun, eventually we knew we had to fight, so we got down to it and they fought me 1v1 like true gentlemen, they both got killed and I guard danced to honor their memory before going home.

Inspired to just fuck around in MP tonight.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok I’ll try him back when I’m 25 and hopefully with some new stuff ty. Now I just gotta finish Horizon so I can actually dive in.

What has worked for me with the main bosses is summoning two other real players. We usually dominate so I suggest you do that. Good job giving this game a chance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yikes. Thank you!

I finally beat Red Wolf of Radagon which is the 3rd main story boss for me. I summoned 2 people and we litteraly took him down in 20 seconds. 

After that I drifted off to explore and found two bosses that killed me with one hit. I'm like wtf... I guess being level 55 means absolutely nothing! I was on my way to what I think is the fourth boss and a giant jumped off the top of a castle with a flame sword and killed me with two stomps.

I didn't even get access to the fourth boss and this giant destroys me. What level do you have to be to beat that fucker? I leveled up my broadsword which was nice.

This game is awesome but can get overwhelming. Ugh.

Haven’t tried to summon randoms yet. How’s it work? Like what do you use. 

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Haven’t tried to summon randoms yet. How’s it work? Like what do you use. 

You use these flowers (forget there names). Push start and select multiplayer on the list. Your character will automatically summon real players to you. There will be golden blocks on the ground and you just walk up to them and hit y. Players usually come within 20 seconds and you can do 2. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You use these flowers (forget there names). Push start and select multiplayer on the list. Your character will automatically summon real players to you. There will be golden blocks on the ground and you just walk up to them and hit y. Players usually come within 20 seconds and you can do 2. 

Fingers, not flowers.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Fingers, not flowers.

Yes. I'm an idiot. So I know you're very knowledgeable with this game. Im a dude with a sword and shield. What should be my goals to improve my character in general. Other than leveling up what can I be doing to improve? I'm level 55 and feel extremely weak. 

@BloodyHell help!!!

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

If you use randoms do you still get the credit for defeating the boss? Like he disappears off the map? @best3444

Yea you get everything. Runes/special item etc. And yes, he disappears from the map. It's essentially like you beat him yourself.

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes. I'm an idiot. So I know you're very knowledgeable with this game. Im a dude with a sword and shield. What should be my goals to improve my character in general. Other than leveling up what can I be doing to improve? I'm level 55 and feel extremely weak. 

@BloodyHell help!!!

Im a dude with a sword and shield too, and I barely know shit. 

Im scaling str and dex with my Bloodhound fang most of the time, or my Icerind Hatchet with a great shield just killing it with guard counters. Frost build up is insane. Especially when you get to the crazy place I just opened up. 

I upgraded my armor fighting those tough knights in the castle, they will eventually drop their whole set, but I got my chest from a leader enemy by the walking mausoleum in liurna (those headless ghost guys, but one of them carries a spear and great shield).

I just explore and find stuff, and when I don't know, I search. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's actual human players.

Also, you're supposed to feel weak. The point is if you get careless, you probably die. It's a staple of these games. This is like old school D&D, where death was around every corner, not modern heroic fantasy D&D. Thats my best description of how it should feel, lol.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Honestly I don't think you should worry about mainlining the bosses. If you're having trouble go explore other areas. The game is about discovery not grinding and shooting straight through the game. If you're getting your butt kicked go check out the other areas. I've played 24 hours almost and haven't even gone into the castle after Margit.

50 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Also, you're supposed to feel weak. The point is if you get careless, you probably die. It's a staple of these games. This is like old school D&D, where death was around every corner, not modern heroic fantasy D&D. Thats my best description of how it should feel, lol.

Yea but when a boss steps on me and kills me instantly that's very discouraging. I thought level 55 was on higher end on these boards.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea but when a boss steps on me and kills me instantly that's very discouraging. I thought level 55 was on higher end on these boards.

The point is not getting stomped on. :p

im 60 right now.

Just got a medallion that stops fall damaga at the bottom of the water lift in the castle, got sent to absolutely whacko volcano manor, had no idea how to get out, all because I wanted to explore more. Out now tho :p

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The point is not getting stomped on. :p

im 60 right now.

Just got a medallion that stops fall damaga at the bottom of the water lift in the castle, got sent to absolutely whacko volcano manor, had no idea how to get out, all because I wanted to explore more. Out now tho :p

It was extremely difficult to miss his stomps. Plus when I hit him I barely made a dent in his health. I'm going back to the starting area and finding bosses there.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It was extremely difficult to miss his stomps. Plus when I hit him I barely made a dent in his health. I'm going back to the starting area and finding bosses there.

What boss was it?

At 55 you're more than powerful enough for the academy and Red Wolf.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If a boss is killing you in one hit, just leveling up probably isn't going to do much. You could dump a bunch of points into VIT to increase your HP, but all that means is you maybe survive one big hit before the next one wipes you out. So experiment. If you're having trouble dodging attacks, try removing armor until you get to a light load, so your dodge is faster. If your shield isn't absorbing enough hits, try ditching it and go 2-handed with your weapon for more damage output. Try out different greases to see if maybe a boss is weak to certain effects. Maybe a different weapon is a better fit for this fight. Just general things to think about. 

Going back to and finding earlier bosses probably won't help you level up much, but it could get you some different gear that gives you more options. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1