Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah my Erdtree is burned. At least that's what my acheivement list says.

Just go outside and look at the sky, if there’s a giant orange flaming tree up there then you’ve def burned it haha

I think I’m at the site before the first boss. My 168 level character isn’t helping too much with the regular enemy’s so I’m scared. Starting out with so many potions this time is definitely helpful though. 

RT performance seems to be all over the map still. Seemed fine at first but it seems to randomly dip whenever it feels like then recovers. Seems like it’s bugged or something.

I don’t expect From to fix it if there is a bug with it since after all this time they couldn’t even be bothered to add an upscaling solution. Kind of impressive to be so adamant not supporting anything at all to improve performance. 

Debating installing the dlss3 mod and just turning it off when I need to go online to summon for help but I don’t want to miss out on the other online stuff either idk

Decided to put the dlss3 mod (and fps unlocker) on my desktop and keep that offline. I’ll see the player markers and stuff when I play in my bedroom or on deck and leave this 4k/120 with dlss3 in the living room. If I need help with a boss I’ll just play in my room so I don’t have to switch between patched/unpatched.

Man, that Lion boss from the trailer is a beast. Took about 3 hours to beat him last night (skadu lvl 4). 

Still haven’t found a Great Katana :( I did find a perfume weapon and full set of perfumer armor, but im not very interested in that.

That Renalla Blade build is speaking my love language. 

I’ve been running around for a few hours. Found a tiny dungeon boss with a machine gun crossbow 😂 but wasn’t too tough. I haven’t found a real boss yet but so far the overworld isn’t really any more difficult than Hagiltree. Maybe less difficult than CS since the enemies are in general less rage inducing annoying. 

17 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That Renalla Blade build is speaking my love language. 

I’ve been running around for a few hours. Found a tiny dungeon boss with a machine gun crossbow 😂 but wasn’t too tough. I haven’t found a real boss yet but so far the overworld isn’t really any more difficult than Hagiltree. Maybe less difficult than CS since the enemies are in general less rage inducing annoying. 

Is that the knight in the little mausoleum right by the start? That dude stomped my ass immediately, which made me think “oh yeah, maybe I am under leveled” :lol:

45 minutes ago, Best said:

Do you think LOP is the better overall game?

No, but the gameplay is faster and more fluid. Elden ring is better in almost every other aspect. Lies of P just shows how far we've come with the Souls like formula over the years. I personally prefer faster more frenetic combat in my action games and like I said,going back to Elden Ring after spending so much time over the last couple of months playing these faster Souls-likes is taking some getting used to. I guess if I used daggers and a build that had a light roll instead of the med roll I have now, Elden Ring could feel closer to those other games too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No, but the gameplay is faster and more fluid. Elden ring is better in almost every other aspect. Lies of P just shows how far we've come with the Souls like formula over the years. I personally prefer faster more frenetic combat in my action games and like I said,going back to Elden Ring after spending so much time over the last couple of months playing these faster Souls-likes is taking some getting used to. I guess if I used daggers and a build that had a light roll instead of the med roll I have now, Elden Ring could feel closer to those other games too.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I played a few hours of LOP and thought it was excellent but I got stuck on the 2nd boss and stopped playing. I feel extremely overwhelmed with Elden Ring being at level 88 and not having a clue where to even begin progress to get into the dlc. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

Do you think LOP is the better overall game?

Nobody asked me lol but I don't personally. LoP was a surprisingly good game but ER is the gold standard for open world RPGs from now on. And the DLC made an already incredible game that much better

3 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Nobody asked me lol but I don't personally. LoP was a surprisingly good game but ER is the gold standard for open world RPGs from now on. And the DLC made an already incredible game that much better

God I wish I had skill to enjoy this. I love the world they created. :(

49 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

After picking up Elden RIng after having stopped playing before finishing the game and beng COMPLETELY lost despite having 150 hours in the game, I'm gonna beg to differ somewhat. I'm starting to think that From's style of deliberately vague storytelling may not fit an open world format. I have NO idea where to go or what to do next in order to finish the base game and I really don't know if I have the desire to figure it out. Even the fucking online walkthroughs are confusing lol!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

After picking up Elden RIng after having stopped playing before finishing the game and beng COMPLETELY lost despite having 150 hours in the game, I'm gonna beg to differ somewhat. I'm starting to think that From's style of deliberately vague storytelling may not fit an open world format. I have NO idea where to go or what to do next in order to finish the base game and I really don't know if I have the desire to figure it out. Even the fucking online walkthroughs are confusing lol!

Thank you! I'm having the exact same issue. 

I mean it’s pretty straight forward, you just keep wandering around killing things until you become the Elden Lord. :p

I get it though. It’s a huge game, and most of it is technically optional (including things that feel mandatory). The critical path is fairly straightforward, but the game loves throwing a bunch of distracting random crap at you. And if you’re coming back to it after a long break, it’s hard to tell what you’ve done and what you have left to do. 

• True 1

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I mean it’s pretty straight forward, you just keep wandering around killing things until you become the Elden Lord. :p

I get it though. It’s a huge game, and most of it is technically optional (including things that feel mandatory). The critical path is fairly straightforward, but the game loves throwing a bunch of distracting random crap at you. And if you’re coming back to it after a long break, it’s hard to tell what you’ve done and what you have left to do. 

Exactly. It almost seems I'd be better off just starting from the very beginning and go from there. 

10 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

you’re coming back to it after a long break, it’s hard to tell what you’ve done and what you have left to do. 

This is my problem. I had no problem progressing the game when I was playing it, But now I literally have no idea what I did, vs what I need to do vs where I need to go and to be honest, after 150 hours of gamplay, I'm not too keen to just be wandering around "exploring". Like I've played a bit this week and besides finding some armor and weaposn I didn't have and clearing a couple of the smaller dungeons, I've got absolutely NOTHING accomplished. I've taken breaks from Souls games before and come back to them but those were easier to get back into because they are fairly linear. This game isn't. 

3 minutes ago, Best said:

Exactly. It almost seems I'd be better off just starting from the very beginning and go from there. 

Yeah FUCK THAT.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

Picking these games back up is definitely a pain, and I remember that at least on release the critical path after Radahn was not remotely clear. One wolf in me is enthralled with From’s world building and the other one is fucking annoyed with their complete disregard for any concrete storytelling. 

Just now, Moa said:

One wolf in me is enthralled with From’s world building and the other one is fucking annoyed with their complete disregard for any concrete storytelling. 

Again, i have no problem with their style of storytelling, I just don't think it meshes particularly well with an open world format unless you plan on just playing their games non-stop from start to finish.

• True 1

I'm gonna stop bitching though and let you guys enjoy the DLC... I'll eventually beat the base game at some point and may even buy the DLC but I'm really not in any rush. Based on what I think I may need to do to finish the game I'm starting to think my game may be glitched anyway and if that's the case, I'll probably never beat it because I don't plan on putting another 150 hours into this game. I don't love it like say a Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect :p

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ok so it's not just me.

Well, I should also point out that I gave ER a 7/10 and LoP a 10/10. I never had super high opinions of ER to start with.

• Shocked 2

Some bullet points of my opinions of base ER

• It's either too easy or too hard. "Yo-Yo-ing difficulty". The Scaling is whack.
  • The reused bosses suck big time. I'd rather there be no boss than a reused boss with like 2 exceptions.
  • It's open world
  • Spirit Ashes and summons totally break bosses. Beat Mohg lauch week before he could even enter phase 2 with the mimic tear.
  • ER is a rolling fiesta

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm gonna stop bitching though and let you guys enjoy the DLC... I'll eventually beat the base game at some point and may even buy the DLC but I'm really not in any rush. Based on what I think I may need to do to finish the game I'm starting to think my game may be glitched anyway and if that's the case, I'll probably never beat it because I don't plan on putting another 150 hours into this game. I don't love it like say a Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect :p

On the far east of the map there's a dungeon all by itself separate from the main world. You get teleported there after burning the Erdtree. There's 3 bosses, but one is optional and harder to find. The two required bosses are pretty much on the main path, but it is a big dungeon with several branching side paths and a few looping paths. When you beat the final boss of that dungeon you get teleported back to the Erdtree city, but everything is half reset in the dungeon. The grace is in the middle of the dungeon called Leyendell, Ashen Capital. If you didn't unlock it after being teleported there then you have to re-enter the city on horseback/foot coming from the northwest Outer Wall grace. Everything will be covered in ash and barren. Just make your way up to the Erdtree, and there will be 3 boss fights along the way to finish the game.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

• It's either too easy or too hard. "Yo-Yo-ing difficulty". The Scaling is whack.

This feels extra true in the DLC. Spirit ashes were simply a bad addition to the formula and the game feels balanced around their use. I’d rather have the bosses be 25% weaker and not have spirit ashes than butt my head against a wall for an hour before relenting, summoning a mimic tear, and absolutely breezing through the fight. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The sites of grace literally point to where you go next. Just look at your map and see where those sites are directing you

52 minutes ago, Moa said:

This feels extra true in the DLC. Spirit ashes were simply a bad addition to the formula and the game feels balanced around their use. I’d rather have the bosses be 25% weaker and not have spirit ashes than butt my head against a wall for an hour before relenting, summoning a mimic tear, and absolutely breezing through the fight. 

I will say that first 'dungeon' where you fight a proper boss, the dude is hella over powered and I'm at 207 with maxed out weapons

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I will say that first 'dungeon' where you fight a proper boss, the dude is hella over powered and I'm at 207 with maxed out weapons

this is why I don't like games like this. it is above my skill level even if I were to grind like crazy.

30 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

See that just completely deflates any confidence I was trying to gather in playing this. I'm only a level 88 so I'd have numerous hours of grinding and I'd still wouldn't be successful. I was incredibly stupid for buying the dlc. 

35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

this is why I don't like games like this. it is above my skill level even if I were to grind like crazy.

Well to be fair your 'soul level' doesn't matter as much in the DLC. That was Froms way of making it accessible to more people. It relies on Scadutree Fragments to give higher offensive and defensive stats. But I get it man, it's not for everybody