Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

6 minutes ago, Best said:

I remember you having this complaint when the game was new. I find the controls to be excellent so I'm confused what you didn't like about them?

But again, I'm an individual who didn't mind RDR2 controls. :p

He didn't like how Tropical Freeze controlled either. I think maybe his hands are broken. :p

Holy shit. I just checked my character and it's level 9! I must have deleted my old character and started over. This has me questioning if I should even attempt to play let alone DLC. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

I remember you having this complaint when the game was new. I find the controls to be excellent so I'm confused what you didn't like about them?

But again, I'm an individual who didn't mind RDR2 controls. :p

Short version: the attacks have no direction to the enemies making missing in free control easy. This can resolved by using camera lock, but the camera lock regularly breaks without you doing anything, and worse, it has no sense of priority. At one point I was fighting some big monster, the camera lock broke -- because of course it did -- and when I go to trigger it again, the game decides that I must have wanted to lock to to some distant non-hostile enemy in the distance instead  of the big monster swinging at me right in front of me.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Best said:

205 is crazy. Did you do any farming for that or was that a natural level you got from just playing the game?

A bit of good ol' grinding and farming the bird. But honestly it's mostly from just playing the game for so freakin long. I have an embarrassing amount of hours on that particular save file.

• Hype 1

16 minutes ago, legend said:

Short version: the attacks have no direction to the enemies making missing in free control easy. This can resolved by using camera lock, but the camera lock regularly breaks without you doing anything, and worse, it has no sense of priority. At one point I was fighting some big monster, the camera lock broke -- because of course it did -- and when I go to trigger it again, the game decides that I must have wanted to lock to to some distant non-hostile enemy in the distance instead  of the big monster swinging at me right in front of me.

I understand now. You're definitely correct about the lock on breaking. I think I recall you even trying a completely different controller and it still didn't work out for you. 

I'm seriously thinking I may not even attempt this with my character level being so low. I played this on both the PS5 and XSX so I have to check what my Xbox level is. It's a big time sink to basically start all over. 

22 minutes ago, Best said:

I understand now. You're definitely correct about the lock on breaking. I think I recall you even trying a completely different controller and it still didn't work out for you. 

I'm seriously thinking I may not even attempt this with my character level being so low. I played this on both the PS5 and XSX so I have to check what my Xbox level is. It's a big time sink to basically start all over. 

Not sure I tried a different controller, but I was also already annoyed because the PC performance was pissing me off. At the time, I think it didn't work properly with Gysnc and had some other issues I can't quite remember. Not sure if they fixed that now, but I screwed around with the settings for a long time and only got it to a point where it was "good enough" and then I was met with those annoying controls and decided to say fuck it.

So I was already annoyed and then got mega annoyed with control issues like that and decided to bag it.

Unless they made big changes on PC, if I ever try it again it will probably be on PS5 just to avoid that nonsense and give it more of a chance of clicking.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Best said:

What timezone and where did you get this information?

est

it's on steam bruh

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree expansion features an all-new story set in the Land of Shadow imbued with mystery, perilous dungeons, and new enemies, weapons and equipment.

• Hype 1

Just now, Firewithin said:

for PCs it will be 3p PST.  consolers need to wait until midnight 21st.  i believe thats how its working 

Well, I won't be playing it today! I thought I would have gotten to play it before the streamer I watch started playing but not now. Now I can't watch the streams until I have beaten the DLC.

Yeah I have a ways to go before I can tackle the DLC. I'm level 125 now and there's areas in the base game I'm still struggling in. That's cool though, I get to relearn the game while leveling up my character and respeccing to a more suitable build. I forgot how massive and densely packed this game is. Discovered a dungeon and mini-boss that I missed earlier in my playthrough and beat that and got a new Ash of War. Also fought and killed a fire dragon thing and got a katana that I thought I had but didn't. Playing Lies of P, and Wo-Long definitely warmed me up for this.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm getting like double the RT performance than I was in the key problem areas before. The worst spot was Kingsrealm Ruins looking towards Raya Lucaria which would previously dip to the 30 fps range is now basically locked at 60.  Very nice, although I think this might be more of a bug fix because when they first patched RT into the game I had more consistent performance but over time and other patches noticed severe drops occurring more often.

So I forget, this is locked to 60fps on pc?

Edit: I guess it doesn’t matter tho since I’m not going to get 120 with RT on anyway without the dlss3 mod which I can’t use now that I’ll need to be online again. Shame they couldn’t pay someone for a days work to add that in.

Alright got all set up and saved at the first place at the start of the new area. Glad I already had the requirements done. Got a little familiar with the controls again. 

It’s nice that hdr and ray tracing were added since launch so it does look better than when I originally played it and can kinda pretend it’s a mini sequel.

I made the boo-boo of starting a NG+ way back when after finishing the game and pretty much ducked around the first area. Played for a few hours and got Radahn killed and working on getting to Mohg's Palace. 

• Like 1

Darn I was hoping I could get 40fps on deck but the cpu just can’t do it so the settings don’t matter at a point. Good news is at 30fps you can do native res and high settings and it does look fantastic for a handheld especially with hdr.

I cannot remember ever being so excited for DLC. 

im hyped for the new Light Greatsword class weapon too! Interested in a faster style of power attacking. And Great Katana’s! Glad I saved all my Larval Tears and got all the smithing stone Bell Bearings. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly playing this after playing Wo-long for so long feels like I;m playing a game at half speed. Lies of P felt faster too.

I agree it feels slower, but that’s what I love about it. The deliberate movement required is half the fun to me. Wo Long didn’t do it for me personally, but I definitely enjoyed LoP. 

They put some solid weapons just free for the taking in the first area. Haven't spent much time with others, but the Backhand Blade seems incredibly overpowered. Extremely lightweight but chunky damage, free dual wielding, great scaling with stats (Dexterity), decent poise buildup, moveset good for single enemies or large groups, and incredible Ash of War that dodges and attacks in one motion. I just can't believe it's the size of curved swords, but weighs less than some daggers.