Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree - Information Thread, update (06/21): Fextralife guides posted

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Are you guys just starting your old game up or replaying the game? I’d like to replay it but that’s a big commitment. 

I’m planning to start a new game. It’s been just long enough that I’m itching to play it all again, but recent enough that I should still remember a lot and get through it (relatively) quick. 

30 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Are you guys just starting your old game up or replaying the game? I’d like to replay it but that’s a big commitment. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m planning to start a new game. It’s been just long enough that I’m itching to play it all again, but recent enough that I should still remember a lot and get through it (relatively) quick. 

4 minutes ago, Best said:

I'm going to just continue my level 88 character and ride that into the DLC. 

I’m going to leave it deleted off my PS5 and never think about the piece of shit game ever again. 

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Lol hell no am I restarting. I have 150 hours and I’m level 150. I am actually hoping that the obscene grinding I did on that play through will let me progress easier in this without having to do so much of that again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Am I going to finally have to play Elden Ring this summer?

What was your reasoning for not playing it in the first place? It's an absolute masterpiece. 

9 minutes ago, Best said:

What was your reasoning for not playing it in the first place? It's an absolute masterpiece. 

Work.  I wasn't playing much of anything in early 2022 and I was travelling every other week.  Plus, the kids starting gaming on the PCs, and I had much less access to them.

I played an hour of it a year ago, but I keep hoping they will patch in Ultrawidescreen (or stop blocking all the mods that try to allow it).

It just hasn't ever risen to the top of the pile.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We played Elden Ring's upcoming expansion and can't wait for its release this month.

I don’t do much else of note before my session expires. As much fun as I had, it was even more exciting talking to other journalists about their experiences. Besides learning who could slay the two primary bosses and how, each person I talked to tells me of a discovery they made, whether it’s a location, character, or enemy I didn’t find. I won’t spoil anything I heard, but all of it was deeply exciting and also deeply strange. From Software has billed Shadow of the Erdtree as the biggest expansion it has ever created, and given that I rarely heard repeat discoveries from the people I talk to, I’m inclined to believe it.

My biggest takeaway from Shadow of the Erdtree is that – surprise – it’s more Elden Ring. It’s the most unexciting take imaginable, but outside of the intriguing yet not immediately noticeable wrinkle added by the Scadutree upgrades, it’s a new excuse to revisit a world I love. It’s tough to get a sense of the expansion’s narrative implications and to be honest, that’s the last thing I care about in this game, as interesting as its lore is on the surface. All I want is to experience a new gauntlet of trials and surprises, and Shadow of the Erdtree seems poised to deliver that and then some.

WWW.VG247.COM

Who can complain about more Elden Ring? Especially when the quality – and, to a degree, quantity – matches the base game beat-for-beat?

Let’s get down to brass tacks. Elden Ring’s Shadow of the Erdtree expansion is absolutely, positively more of the same. After three hours noodling around a section of its significant-looking map, I’m satisfied of two things: first, this is no grand reinvention of the wheel - but second, it doesn’t need to be. It’s ultimately building on the foundation of one of the greatest games ever made; more of that is more than good enough.

Or to put it another way, I was exhilarated, gripped, and left desperate for more by this brief hands-on. When I got home, I booted Elden Ring, kicked off New Game Plus, and began to meander through the game to craft a new save ready to boot into the expansion. It sent me tumbling right back into an Elden Ring hole..

WWW.VIDEOGAMER.COM

Familiar, yet unmapped and untouched - our Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree preview after a few hours with FromSoft's expansion.

All of us at the preview had access to the same limited chunk of game for the same three hours, but our stories were all so different. Elden Ring’s most impressive feat was giving every player the freedom to forge their own adventure. Shadow of the Erdtree looks to be doing the same. It wants you to explore, though the pace and trajectory are once again up to you.

The preview area we lucky few trialled was sold as a sample of something much more expansive. Though we were under strict guidance not to explore beyond the borders of the starting area, the omens were there. The Erdtree loomed above, its base tangling down to a spot you couldn’t make out. The map’s fog teased areas that seemed to stretch much further north. Though we’ll have to wait for firm confirmation later this month, Shadow of the Ertdree feels large enough to be a game in its own right. After a little taste, I’m braced for more, so much more, free of that impending shoulder tap telling me to pack it in.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

More weapons, more mysteries, and more foes to make you feel maidenless again…

We’re afraid to say we had to leave the session with our tail between our legs, but also with the dread that, whereas Limgrave had many smaller mini-bosses you could take on to work your way up to the legacy dungeon headliners, progress in the Land of Shadow might be more impervious.

This is, of course, not the final build, especially when given a relatively limited portion of the map to explore, so there may yet be a few caverns or catacombs just out of bounds, though attempts to scope out ravaged village ruins as well as a flooded plain that in the base game would have been home to the Tibia Mariner didn’t yield anything. At this stage, it’s not even clear just how big the Land of Shadow’s map will stretch out as the Lands Between’s did, and that’s without taking into account any maps above or below ground.

Given that the open world structure benefitted Elden Ring by giving you the freedom to approach or avoid encounters at your own pace, we’d like to think that FromSoftware won’t abandon that completely in this expansion. But even if it’s too early to say whether or not Shadow of the Erdtree is a leaner package, from the first three hours, it’s definitely meaner.

I only had a small sample of what was going on. I learned virtually nothing about both Messmer and Miquella, the frontmen for this DLC. Yet I’m still spending chunks of my downtime theorizing about dead gods, political plays, and unwritten truths. This side of the DLC may not appeal to everyone, but it will absolutely tantalize those interested in the narrative side of the game.

There’s a lot of anticipation for the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC. But FromSoftware absolutely delivers in multiple regards. With plenty of new weapons, an interesting and well-designed environment, exciting bosses, and some really rich lore, Shadow of the Erdtree is sure to satisfy every kind of Elden Ring fan. Based on what I experienced, the wait will be completely worth it.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

FromSoftware has delivered a fantastically familiar experience with this stellar expansion.

Stepping into Shadow of the Erdtree feels like reuniting with an old friend. Elden Ring is more than two years old at this point, and it’s clear FromSoftware has taken its time to develop an expansion that is more than just a new map filled with a few more bosses to kill.

As I began my three-hour preview, I was struck by how it immediately expands upon The Lands Between in bold, unorthodox ways. The Realm of Shadow that Miquella roams is a morbid reflection of the beautiful fantasy realm, filled with tortured souls and distant beings that continue to cling onto life as ethereal gravestones rise up from the landscape to greet us. It’s immediately engaging, drawing you deeper into the convoluted web that makes up the lore of Elden Ring and captured the hearts of millions two years ago.

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got hands-on with three hours of Elden Ring Shadow Of The Erdtree and came away buzzing with excitement for a grittier, denser adventure.

It's too early to say for sure, but I do think there's a little of Dark Souls 2's almost level-based world design to Shadow Of The Erdtree: I felt like I bounced between a number of unpredictable, contained universes. Especially towards the end of my travelogue, where I went from Belurat's South Asian influence, to a traditional murky castle, to themes of lava and dragons. Dark Souls 2 has a similar spirit, with little in the way of cohesion between areas and a need to carve out colour from the gloom. The Land Of Shadow is more cohesive but similarly playful in how it joins together concepts, while also surprising returning players with new themes and new weirdos, not least those horrible, horrible proto-jars.

Oh, and that Eurogamer interview Miyazaki gave about the Lands Of Shadow being "larger even than Limgrave in the base game"?. In my preview I wasn't allowed past certain bounds, but I am dead certain Miyazaki's vastly underselling Shadow Of The Erdtree's size. I think we're in for a large one but, crucially, one that probably doesn't play it as safe as you might think. Much like those pots of abberrant bogwater I mentioned in the intro, it's a spawning ground for a whole new species of Elden Ring.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Our thoughts on a three hour demo of Elden Ring's new Shadow of the Erdtree DLC.

I got a pretty good sense of how things would go down in Shadow of the Erdtree when, mere seconds into my preview session, I found myself ambushed and fighting for my life. My scenic ride through golden fields was interrupted by a hunched monstrosity with dual discs, who pounced on my head and wouldn't give me a second to breathe. A boss fight, you might ask? Nope - this was just a regular enemy. There's a definite sense that even normal enemies in the Land of Shadow hit harder, and are simply more aggressive, than those in the base game. With danger around every corner, you're kept constantly on the defensive, rekindling that same mixture of fear and excitement you likely felt when taking your first steps through The Lands Between.

This is a DLC that's perfectly pitched to challenge Elden Ring veterans, then. But more than that, Shadow of the Erdtree feels like a FromSoftware greatest hits album. It takes all the things that made Elden Ring extraordinary - its grandiose atmosphere, memorable boss fights and darkly humorous level design - refines these elements, and turns the volume up to 10. Better still, it gives you an even wider range of weapons and tools with which to explore these features. And honestly, what else could you want from an Elden Ring DLC than more of the good stuff?

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Exploring the new mechanics, weapons, and challenges to be found in FromSoftware’s biggest-ever expansion.

The Land of Shadow is calling.

After a more-than-two-year wait, we’re weeks away from the launch of Shadow of the Erdtree, the enormous DLC for Elden Ring. FromSoftware hasn’t spent those years basking the accolades their first open-world adventure received; instead, they’ve been hard at work on this, their biggest and most ambitious expansion ever. 

When I recently got a chance to go hands-on with Shadow of the Erdtree, even the tiny slice I saw made it easy to remember why Elden Ring is so beloved. Rise, Tarnished, and hear of the things I saw.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Summer Preview| With some of the best weapons FromSoftware's ever made

It's back, folks: the cold-sweat thrill of orchestral drummers and organists pounding your ears from the outside while your racing heart rattles you from the inside. Flasks empty, hands shaking, the boss stubbornly rallying at 10% HP after yet another phase shift. Just die for god's sake. You finally get the win with a ballsy charge attack that by rights should've gotten you killed. Close enough for jazz. Man. Nobody does this like FromSoftware, and this is some of the studio's best work. There are over 10 new bosses in the Land of Shadow, and I need to see them all pronto.

In three hours, Shadow of the Erdtree rekindled my appetite for Elden Ring. As soon as I got home from the preview event, I was back on my level 200 spell swordsman, scouring the world for upgrade materials to make absolutely certain that I'm prepared to max out all the cool stuff awaiting in the Land of Shadow. It's demonstrably larger than the DLCs for the likes of Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. For all intents and purposes, it almost feels like a new, small FromSoftware game is coming out. Shadow of the Erdtree will inevitably be a lot shorter, sure, but possibly even sweeter. 

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Elden Ring's DLC adopts the sense of scale and discovery so important to the base game.

Before my three hour session with Shadow of the Erdtree I was warned of two major bosses in the build: a difficult one in the northeast, and an even harder one in the northwest. It was assumed that I'd make a beeline towards these grand foes, but I did my best to avoid them. Forget the bosses—my most pertinent questions going into Shadow of the Erdtree were: What is the Land of Shadow like? What secrets is it hiding? How many swamps does it have? How much can I glean about its total size?

I played as a pre-built level 150 sorcerer with roughly equal aptitude in faith and intelligence. My spells included Miriam's Vanishing, an intelligence sorcery that lets me teleport roughly two or three metres out of the way of enemies, and the Roar of Rugalea, which sends forth an oversized grizzly bear's head to shock and damage enemies. I leaned heavily on the Sacred Smithscript Dagger I was equipped with by default, because its Ash of War let me send out powerful piercing throws that I shamelessly spammed a lot. Equipped as I was—with weaponry that didn't require me to get up close and personal—I was prepared to do what I am exceptionally good at in Soulsbornering games. I escaped conflict by any means possible.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: FromSoftware has been playing coy about the size of Shadow of the Erdtree, the Elden Ring expansion now more than two years in the making. In past interviews the developer has suggested it's roughly the size of Limgrave, the starting area in the base game. Maybe even a little bigger. But I spent a full day playing Shadow of the Erdtree at FromSoftware's offices in Tokyo last month, and I can assure you that estimate is sneakily setting the studio up to underpromise and overdeliver.

Not only is the landmass likely bigger than you're expecting, it's more intricate than any existing part of Elden Ring's map, with cliffs and canyons that require puzzling out how you can reach one point for another. Anyone who tries to make a beeline for each map fragment is going to run into more than a few surprises.

"At the very outset there were a lot of possibilities, but one of the things that was determined very early on was that size," said FromSoftware president Hidetaka Miyazaki. "We wanted that sense of scale for this map, because we wanted an experience for the player that was going to match that of the base game. We wanted them to experience that sense of discovery, and that sense of wonder and exploration again. We needed a map that was going to uphold that and bolster that."

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The new martial arts weapon and throwing dagger push the pace of combat closer to Sekiro.

Deep underground in a frigid cave system full of pots, I tossed away my wand and spin-kicked a monkey samurai to death. It was on my second attempt at fighting Demi-Human Swordsman Onze when I realized I'd made a mistake by picking the spellcaster character for my three-hour session with Elden Ring's Shadow of the Erdtree DLC. I wasn't born to cast magic; I was born to cast these hands.

I don't usually drool over new weapon reveals unless they look especially absurd, like Bloodborne's Whirligig Saw. But in the original Shadow of the Erdtree trailer, the footage of a Tarnished rising into the air to pummel an enemy with fist and foot had my full attention. Going 'straight hands' was not on my list of potential builds to take into the DLC until I actually used the Sacred Dry Leaf Arts weapon and realized I'd be a fool to ignore it.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Our three-hour journey to The Land of Shadow - They say it's possible to have too much of a good thing, but nobody knew of Elden Ring when they coined the ph...

They were enough at least to prove that Shadow of the Erdtree is mostly more of a very good thing with a few new ideas sprinkled in. The expansion is almost certainly holding its biggest secrets close to its chest, but in terms of how you play and interact with it, this is more Elden Ring. Leaning into all the greatest aspects of the base game, The Land of Shadow invites another brutally gripping experience with industry-leading art direction, tense combat, and the greatest sense of exploration. In its opening hours, Shadow of the Erdtree emulates the base Elden Ring undertaking — that's no bad thing when, to this day, it remains genre-defining.

WWW.RPGSITE.NET

An expansion to a good game is always an exciting proposition - but it’s obviously a little more so when it’s building on a past Game of the Year pick. Going hands-on with Elden Ring's DLC has only made that excitement all the greater.

FromSoftware arguably doesn’t need to show much of its hand for this game - many of us are undoubtedly already on board, spurred on by adoration of the original game. Nevertheless, FromSoft and publisher Bandai Namco saw fit to give media a taste of the DLC before it launches on June 21st - and so we had three hours to explore a limited segment of The Lands of Shadow, the mysterious realm that is home to the expansion’s adventures. 

Here’s five take-aways we got from that hour - keeping things spoiler-free. 

WWW.POLYGON.COM

We played Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree for 3 hours. That wasn’t nearly enough.

My first steps into Elden Ring’s new Shadow of the Erdtree expansion feel like coming home again. After traveling there, by touching a withered arm, I step out into a grassy plain, and see a crumbling giant tree in the distance. The land is pocked with intangible gravestones and spirit-world versions of enemies I’ve faced before: dogs and wandering nobles. But it isn’t long until I face something terrifying in this new region, the Land of Shadow, in the form of a giant walking iron brazier filled with embers and burning prisoners.

As I try to slash at that hundred-foot monstrosity, I learn pretty quickly that even the highly leveled, generously equipped knight I’ve been given to play as part of a three-hour preview of the DLC is no match for the thing. It kicks huge, unavoidable piles of flaming debris at me as I try to run away. A handful of other unfamiliar monsters — Gravebirds, smaller cousins of the Death Rite Birds from Elden Ring, and lithe ash-skinned humanoids armed with twin circular blades — pile on and thrash my poor knight.

WWW.IGN.COM

My three hour play session began at the Cocoon of the Empyrean Site of Grace, which is where you do battle with the optional boss Mohg: The Lord of Blood. But this time, instead of an empty boss room, there was an NPC named Leda there as well, who asked me if I too was beckoned by Miquella. By examining the cocoon with Miquella’s withered arm ominously hanging out, I was whisked away to the Realm of Shadow...

I felt like I accomplished a lot in my three hours of playtime with Shadow of the Erdtree, but even then, it still felt like there was so much left on the table. Right when my time ended, I was just about to explore a path marked by another one of Miquella’s crosses that led down into what seemed like one of FromSoftware’s famous poison swamps, and just by listening in on other players at the event, it was clear that I missed at least one other dungeon with a seemingly exciting boss fight that I’m very much looking forward to attempting myself. Fortunately the wait isn’t much longer now as Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree is set to release on June 21. In the meantime, make sure to check out our list covering all of the Shadow of the Erdtree New Weapon Types and our guide of How to Prepare for the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC.

WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

We played three hours of From Software's first and only DLC for Elden Ring, and it's shaping up to be special.

I wasn't able to get a good grasp of just how big the complete DLC experience is going to be, but it seems considerable. I was gated from progressing into a larger landmass, and Spirit Springs (which you now have to unlock by looking for stacks of stones to interact with) were referenced, so there's clearly going to be a sizable landmass to explore.

So, yes, Shadow of the Erdtree is more of the same Elden Ring gameplay you know with new weapons, items, and areas to enjoy. But that is something that no other game has offered and no other developer has delivered. If Shadow of the Erdtree's quality as a whole is consistent with what I played, From Software is on the cusp of reaffirming Elden Ring as one of the greatest open-world games ever made.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (06/21) - Information Thread, update (06/04): many hands-on text/video previews posted
4 hours ago, stepee said:

Lol hell no am I restarting. I have 150 hours and I’m level 150. I am actually hoping that the obscene grinding I did on that play through will let me progress easier in this without having to do so much of that again.

this is how i feel. i can count on 2 fingers the amount of SP games I have replayed. No way am I starting over. but Ill probably wander around in my save game and get re-used to the controls and what not before i venture into the DLC area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door > Elden Bada Boom Bada Bing 

You can't even compare those games against each other. Elden Ring is phenomenal and unfortunately it was too difficult for you. Millions love it and it's considered one of the best games ever. 

Get gud. 

14 minutes ago, Best said:

You can't even compare those games against each other. Elden Ring is phenomenal and unfortunately it was too difficult for you. Millions love it and it's considered one of the best games ever. 

Get gud. 

First of all Paper Mario is an all-time classic that will live forever in the hearts of gamers. While Elden Ring will slowly fade away once the next shitty From Software game comes out. 

Second, it’s GIT GUD not Get. 

21 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door > Elden Bada Boom Bada Bing 

Just now, Biggie said:

First of all Paper Mario is an all-time classic that will live forever in the hearts of gamers. While Elden Ring will slowly fade away once the next shift From Software game comes out. 

Bait GIF

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

First of all Paper Mario is an all-time classic that will live forever in the hearts of gamers. While Elden Ring will slowly fade away once the next shitty From Software game comes out. 

You're a real sick twisted fuck aren't you? Anyway, I don't talk internet lingo or whatever it's called. But I honestly don't see a reason why you had to contribute to this thread with your comment.

Lol, we get it you hate the game. It's like me jumping into the Paper Mario thread and just randomly saying the game is trash. Like...great!

• Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Bait GIF

Yup. And Elden Ring is STILL being played on the regular and Froms next game was already released. Yall remember Armored Core 6? The game I foolishly suggested wasnt that hard and Best (no offense man lol) proceeded to buy? And all the while people were still playing Elden Ring.

And btw Elden Ring sold 13.5 million copies.. Mario TTYD.. only 1. 3 million :whistlin:

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Yup. And Elden Ring is STILL being played on the regular and Froms next game was already released. Yall remember Armored Core 6? The game I foolishly suggested wasnt that hard and Best (no offense man lol) proceeded to buy? And all the while people were still playing Elden Ring.

And btw Elden Ring sold 13.5 million copies.. Mario TTYD.. only 1. 3 million :whistlin:

No offense taken. It was completely my fault lol.  😆 

16 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

That’s North America. 

The series was commonly considered the console counterpart to Mario & Luigi. As of December 2022, the Paper Mario series has sold over 14.34 million copies worldwide.

Get rekt nerd 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

That’s North America. 

The series was commonly considered the console counterpart to Mario & Luigi. As of December 2022, the Paper Mario series has sold over 14.34 million copies worldwide.

Get rekt nerd 

Elden Ring has sold 20 million worldwide.