Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

Doing some reading I don't think I like the fact that you have to be a certain level to start act 2. They recommend you be at least a level 6 or 7 but that just kinda forces you to do everything in act 1. I will absolutely do everything but it shouldn't be mandatory to continue the game. Maybe I'm being stupid. 

11 minutes ago, Best said:

Doing some reading I don't think I like the fact that you have to be a certain level to start act 2. They recommend you be at least a level 6 or 7 but that just kinda forces you to do everything in act 1. I will absolutely do everything but it shouldn't be mandatory to continue the game. Maybe I'm being stupid. 

Unless it changed via patches you just get a warning about the recommended level and can choose to ignore it. It’s not mandatory 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Unless it changed via patches you just get a warning about the recommended level and can choose to ignore it. It’s not mandatory 

Well when I say "mandatory" I mean if you're not a level 6 or 7 in the beginning of act 2 you will absolutely die. In my last playthrough I did that and got completely destroyed at level 5. 

So in a sense it's mandatory.

I'm currently dealing with the hag and this time I didn't let her take my eye out lol. 

I'm level 4 but hope with the custom difficulty I have set I can finally kill her. She was is impossible for me in my last run. 

19 hours ago, Best said:

Well when I say "mandatory" I mean if you're not a level 6 or 7 in the beginning of act 2 you will absolutely die. In my last playthrough I did that and got completely destroyed at level 5. 

So in a sense it's mandatory.

It’s not that mandatory. You’ll also level up fast if you go a little early. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, legend said:

It’s not that mandatory. You’ll also level up fast if you go a little early. 

Oh, interesting. Well I'm basically trying to complete everything in act 1 and I'm having a lot of fun now that the difficulty is very manageable for me. 

• Halal 1

So I made love to Lae'zel and she beat the shit out of me apparently. I was surprised they'd show her vagina but I'm glad it didn't get any more raunchy than that. 

But upon waking up my character was really sore lol. Wtf did she do to me!? :p

1 hour ago, Best said:

So I made love to Lae'zel and she beat the shit out of me apparently. I was surprised they'd show her vagina but I'm glad it didn't get any more raunchy than that. 

But upon waking up my character was really sore lol. Wtf did she do to me!? :p

creep GIF

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

creep GIF

Ngl I've been trying to get into Shadowheart's pants but she is really playing hard to get. 

Lae'zel was into me after I beat the hag. 

19 minutes ago, Best said:

Ngl I've been trying to get into Shadowheart's pants but she is really playing hard to get. 

Lae'zel was into me after I beat the hag. 

you trying to fuck everyone? lol

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

you trying to fuck everyone? lol

No. I just make sure to chat with Shadowheart in camp each time to see what happens.

The Lae'zel thing happened on it's own. 

I think this game did the best job of any big budget title of giving you really tough and differing paths that you can take on the end game. And it didn’t feel like there was a right or wrong way to pick… just different. I ended up picking a path that made sense with how I played the game and I can totally see another play through going in a completely different direction based on what relationships you choose to foster and what you do with your main character. I think the way they handle the NPC support near the end was pretty good, though I was hoping it would be a little more obvious in terms of how many battles you might need them for and whatnot. That last stretch it’s like ok do I need to save some of this stuff, like is this one of like 5 tough fights or is this the last one or what. Minor complaint in the grand scheme. 

Awesome game, find myself having to stop myself from starting a new game cuz I’ve got other stuff I wanna get through, which is impressive since it took me 125 hours to beat. And now I’m happy to just cut the difficulty down to easy if I need to just to play through narratively. Shame there won’t be any more BG games by Larian, but I’m sure looking forward to whatever they do next. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just started this over the past week. Despite going in thinking I would never restart any event and I'll just go with the flow, I've done it anyway... which has made me think, hey, maybe I won't do it from now on. This is about a quest featuring a hag maybe 10 hours into the game.

Spoiler

Ethel was being accosted by two brothers. My first instinct was to defend her. I fireballed one and he died. Then I felt bad when I heard the other brother's scream of "NO!" I non-lethally took care of him only to find out the hag did have the girl but gave her word that she wouldn't tell anyone where the girl was.

So I restarted and this time I defended the brothers. I told them I'd search for their sister, but they searched anyway. I went down to the location where the hag was to find the brothers' dead bodies anyway.

Then when I finally found the girl and got deep into the hag's abode, I tried to attack the cage she was in to free her. Except whoops, the whole point is the cage is on fire and will fall, so she fell and died. I restarted.

I doused it with water and eventually defeated the hag. Now the girl's mad at me because the hag was going to supposedly bring back the dead husband of hers if she traded her baby. SAY WHAT?

Eventually, I found her outside and let her go with Zombie Husband, but the quest wasn't a quest that had a rainbow ending, so I should have just done it and later found out what the alternate outcomes were.

There was a part in one of the main quests that happened before this that I dug.

Spoiler

I defended the bear in the goblin camp and helped it defeat the enemies only to find out it was Haslin the whole time. Since I was a drow -- at least I think this was the reason -- the goblins let me in with no fighting. So I was tempted not to stir the pot even though they were clearly treating the bear cruelly. That it just so happened to be Haslin was a cool twist because my gut tells me this could have gone down differently, either with the bear busting out, or you choosing to fight it, or something of the sort. Perhaps the game would allow you to kill Haslin and adapt around your choice.

I dunno, but I did like the reveal that I was doing more than standing up for an animal, which I still thought was the right thing to do. I ended up clearing out the camp and the three leaders and was intrigued that you could actually help them overtake the grove.

• stepee 1

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I just started this over the past week. Despite going in thinking I would never restart any event and I'll just go with the flow, I've done it anyway... which has made me think, hey, maybe I won't do it from now on. This is about a quest featuring a hag maybe 10 hours into the game.

Reveal hidden contents

There was a part in one of the main quests that happened before this that I dug.

Reveal hidden contents

FWIW, the quest that starts with the hag and the woman is not over. I won't say more than that to avoid spoilers though. This game, perhaps more than any other RPG, has the longest running side quests, which makes many of them much more interesting.

• Shocked 1

When dealing with the hag and the girl

Spoiler

I saved the girl and killed the hag. But like SaysWho said, the girl was upset because she thought the hag would bring back her husband. So I just flat out killed the girl out of frustration lol. 

Just now, Best said:

When dealing with the hag and the girl

Reveal hidden contents

I imagine that will have some ramifications :p At a minimum, it's going to be play out differently than my game!

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I imagine that will have some ramifications :p At a minimum, it's going to be play out differently than my game!

Which makes this game so good. I have to get back to it. 

• Hype 1

• 1 month later...
BALDURSGATE3.GAME

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerûn lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome. Gather your party.

Hey gang, 

Are you ready to embrace evil? Do you yearn to see the consequences of unleashing your inner jerk?

Great! Because Patch 7 releases on PC, today! And with it come new evil ending cinematics, along with Honour Mode improvements and new Legendary Actions, split screen improvements, a new way to mod your game, and a whole bunch of gameplay improvements and bug fixes.

Mac and console players, this is one of those patches that is so packed with changes and new features - including official modding support for all platforms - that it’s going to take a little longer to get this patch through all the necessary technical checks and requirements and into your hands. Although later than we originally expected, Patch 7 is headed to console and Mac in October, and we will keep you updated with our progress! 

Unfortunately, this does mean that console players will not be able to load cross-saves if they come from Patch 7 on PC - and multiplayer between PC and Mac will not be possible. We are still working on bringing crossplay to Baldur’s Gate 3, and like Patch 7, this requires a lot of work and testing before we're prepared to release it into the wild. 

We’ve still got a few more patches up our sleeve for Baldur’s Gate 3 - which will include both crossplay and photo mode, alongside other fixes and updates. But eventually all stories must come to an end. As Swen said during last week’s PAX West panel in Seattle - our final live panel for Baldur’s Gate 3 - it’s time for the team to go back to our cave and hang the armour on the wall while we focus on bringing you our next project.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

:rofl:

What's the most you've ever overreacted to an annoyance in a game? I'll quicksave before murdering an NPC who sent me on a fetch quest to the dungeon I just came from, sure, but Baldur's Gate 3 player jakethebrick_ took things to a whole new level: Killing off the Lower City's somewhat obnoxious street performers with a doom stack of over 100 oil, firewine, smokepowder, and runepowder barrels, producing the biggest explosion I've ever seen in the game.

If you've been sleeping on abusing BG3's many explosive barrels⁠—the forbidden art of "barrelmancy"—it's time to up your game. They're heavy, but you can easily right click and send them to your camp stash, building up a war chest of the things to deploy ahead of difficult fights. It's how I always take out early boss Dror Ragzlin these days, but I'm also saving some smokepowder barrels for Raphael's fight in my current Honour run: They should help with taking care of his pesky soul pillars.

• Haha 1