Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'm just playing a default white human male but half-elf since humans were nerfed.

You know, unless I'm playing a joke character or something I almost always choose human. I continually hear about how boring it is, but to me all the other races tend to be boring -- mainly because they're like "basically human, but with this really limited culture" or "basically human, but weirdly obsessed with some vice or virtue and the entire race is basically a hivemind with how similar they are." And then they're almost always ugly as shit.

But for joke characters, they're gold mines! Fuckin' stupid tiny races, frog-faced githyanki, the colloidal silver drinking drow, the "we're just humans but we live forever" elves, all such simplistic and boring concepts to me, but great for doing real dumb stuff.

To me, if you can see a character and reliably guess anything about its attitude based on its race alone, that's weak as hell. If you see a human, what can you guess about them based on race alone? Fuckin' nothing! You have no idea what you're in for! You can't even guess general interests. At best you might guess something real vague like "probably curious." The other races obviously aren't full of clones and aren't completely identical, but I feel like only one or two should really have widespread and common traits like "arrogant twats," rather than many of them having such predictable features. With one or two races that makes them interesting because it's kind of an alien concept, but if it's all the other races then it's just kinda weird?

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, legend said:

Sharpshooter is fucking amazing as a feat, but you simply must get your bonus to attack up higher to make it worthwhile. A good ranger build can pull like +15 to the attack at which point taking sharp shooter is very wortwhile. But early levels it's not so great.

how do i get my bonus to attack up higher? is that just through levelling? or is there specific gear i should look out for? 

8 hours ago, atom631 said:

how do i get my bonus to attack up higher? is that just through levelling? or is there specific gear i should look out for? 

Both :p When you level, you can choose feats that impact your attack modifier, or you can just choose a plain ability score improvement and increase the associated stat. E.g., for ranged, you want a high Dex state. A note: every even state value increases your modifer. So at 10, you get a +0 modifier. At 12, you get a +1, etc. Odd numbered stats are worthless. However, sometimes you can have an odd number stat that you then increase to an even number with a feat that gives a +1 to it, or a items that give a +1 to. And you can get additional weapons/items that add to the modifer.

Beyond that, as you level your proficiency bonus increases which *also* adds to your attack modifier and as long as you're proficient with the weapon you add your proficiency bonus.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You know, unless I'm playing a joke character or something I almost always choose human. I continually hear about how boring it is, but to me all the other races tend to be boring -- mainly because they're like "basically human, but with this really limited culture" or "basically human, but weirdly obsessed with some vice or virtue and the entire race is basically a hivemind with how similar they are." And then they're almost always ugly as shit.

But for joke characters, they're gold mines! Fuckin' stupid tiny races, frog-faced githyanki, the colloidal silver drinking drow, the "we're just humans but we live forever" elves, all such simplistic and boring concepts to me, but great for doing real dumb stuff.

To me, if you can see a character and reliably guess anything about its attitude based on its race alone, that's weak as hell. If you see a human, what can you guess about them based on race alone? Fuckin' nothing! You have no idea what you're in for! You can't even guess general interests. At best you might guess something real vague like "probably curious." The other races obviously aren't full of clones and aren't completely identical, but I feel like only one or two should really have widespread and common traits like "arrogant twats," rather than many of them having such predictable features. With one or two races that makes them interesting because it's kind of an alien concept, but if it's all the other races then it's just kinda weird?

My man, it's DnD. Role play your race however you want. The other races give you different aesthetics you can vibe into however you want. DnD Is actively encouraging this more dynamic race RP with every iteration too.

Finally made my way through the rest of the indoor area of the goblin camp and wiped out everything, then walked out the front door and was attacked by like damn near 20 enemies. (I came in through the back so I never saw the front entrance prior.)

Luckily after the massive level 5 power bump, I had that entire area cleared in like 5 minutes. Didn't hurt that they were all debuffed from being drunk and were just generally weaker than the inner enemies.

My pockets are so fat now. I haven't tried it yet, and I don't think it's an option, but if it IS an option, I want to start sending corpses back to camp. Pretty sure I didn't see that option while toying around, but I bet a mod could do it... Would love to do some dumb playthrough where I just have every single NPC's corpse in the game in my box at home!

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Finally made my way through the rest of the indoor area of the goblin camp and wiped out everything, then walked out the front door and was attacked by like damn near 20 enemies. (I came in through the back so I never saw the front entrance prior.)

Luckily after the massive level 5 power bump, I had that entire area cleared in like 5 minutes. Didn't hurt that they were all debuffed from being drunk and were just generally weaker than the inner enemies.

My pockets are so fat now. I haven't tried it yet, and I don't think it's an option, but if it IS an option, I want to start sending corpses back to camp. Pretty sure I didn't see that option while toying around, but I bet a mod could do it... Would love to do some dumb playthrough where I just have every single NPC's corpse in the game in my box at home!

speaking of mods, I was watching FightingCowboy stream and he had a mod that allowed him to have up to 8 party members! :o somehow it wasnt game-breaking and seemed to function totally fine. 

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I just hit level 9, and im really starting to feel powerful. Especially throwing lvl 5 fireballs with Gale. 

and Astarian is so useful in cities. I steel so much with him!

and speaking of Gale. Im getting fucking sick of sacrificing gear to him, but its great having a wizard in the party. I have him cast grease and then use Shadowheart to throw a fireball. Works amazing for crowd control. 

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

and speaking of Gale. Im getting fucking sick of sacrificing gear to him, but its great having a wizard in the party. I have him cast grease and then use Shadowheart to throw a fireball. Works amazing for crowd control. 

Spoiler

You'll only need to sacrifice 3 magical items and then it stops because a new thread will start to fix it for good. Which I haven't done yet, but the thread started and I stopped having to do that :p 

• Halal 1

Just now, legend said:

Hide contents

You'll only need to sacrifice 3 magical items and then it stops because a new thread will start to fix it for good. Which I haven't done yet, but the thread started and I stopped having to do that :p 

hallelujah! 

Spoiler

i actually got to the 3rd request for a piece of gear and successfully persuaded him to fucking deal with it for now and then left him in camp and took the vampire. maybe ill just get it over with. 

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

"basically human, but with this really limited culture" or "basically human, but weirdly obsessed with some vice or virtue and the entire race is basically a hivemind with how similar they are." And then they're almost always ugly as shit.

Agreed when it comes to NPCs. Obviously, player characters can diverge but that's because they have to or they wouldn't be a player character.

I feel that they did humans dirty when it comes to racials. Like, when I read the "astral knowledge" ability of the Gith, to me that just felt like THE human ability. Humans are cultural shapeshifters, able and willing to blend to partake in the cultures of other races. It's partly why half-elves exist. And half-elves are mostly "Human 2", especially in BG3 it seems.

E:

If I had one complaint tho, it's the companions. They picked the safest races to be companions. You got 3 humans all male, 2 elves both male, 2 half-elves both female, 1 drow f, 1 gith f, 1 tiefling f. They gave their community shit for creating the vault dweller, but all of their tailor-made companions are just as fucking basic with no real diversity. 10 companions and not one dwarf, halfling, gnome, dragonborn, or half-orc. All they did was make safe fuckable characters. There is no Shale or Oghren, or just any non-traditional human-looking race.  No bird people, no cat people, no monsters, just 8 different types of humans, a frog, and a devil.

14 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hey so asking for a friend, can two people create custom characters and play coop together? On the same PC coop and/or on different PCs( each with their own copy in online coop)?

you can do two custom characters in co op but the host is the one who has the save file i believe. 

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hey so asking for a friend, can two people create custom characters and play coop together? On the same PC coop and/or on different PCs( each with their own copy in online coop)?

Yes to all. However, the campaign and those custom characters will be owned by one of the players's PC. You can't independently level a character and then come back. I.e., it's not like Diablo where you each have separate save files and drop in.

Furthermore, I believe you cannot swap out custom characters for NPC party members. If you make a game with multiple custom characters, they always must be in the party.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

LBR Starfield is gonna barely run on consoles at launch.

Jesus don't say that. I'm giving Bethesda the benefit of the doubt here in that this will be their most polished title ever at release. They had so much time to optimize it that I truly believe it will run ok at 30fps. 

But who knows. You could be correct which would fuckin blow. 

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Between the characters I like, the ones I want to bang, and the ones who’s utility I need there simply isn’t enough room in my party. 

The game's "carnal" nature hasn't gone unnoticed :lol:

bxwTtBGnspHgeeHeihjkVg-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I'm too thirsty to fight mind flayers today, sorry.

baldurs-gate-3-demon.jpg?width=1200&heig
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 is a big weird fantasy RPG that is always horny for big weird fantasy sex

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

This is better than any Bethesda game has ever been. As far as a deep rpg with choice, it doesn’t get much better than this.

Going from the RPG mechanics in this to the "R" "P"  """"""""G"""""""" "mechanics" in Starfield is going to be whiplash so bad I'm already contacting my lawyer.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Agreed when it comes to NPCs. Obviously, player characters can diverge but that's because they have to or they wouldn't be a player character.

I feel that they did humans dirty when it comes to racials. Like, when I read the "astral knowledge" ability of the Gith, to me that just felt like THE human ability. Humans are cultural shapeshifters, able and willing to blend to partake in the cultures of other races. It's partly why half-elves exist. And half-elves are mostly "Human 2", especially in BG3 it seems.

E:

If I had one complaint tho, it's the companions. They picked the safest races to be companions. You got 3 humans all male, 2 elves both male, 2 half-elves both female, 1 drow f, 1 gith f, 1 tiefling f. They gave their community shit for creating the vault dweller, but all of their tailor-made companions are just as fucking basic with no real diversity. 10 companions and not one dwarf, halfling, gnome, dragonborn, or half-orc. All they did was make safe fuckable characters. There is no Shale or Oghren, or just any non-traditional human-looking race.  No bird people, no cat people, no monsters, just 8 different types of humans, a frog, and a devil.

Im actually surprised how few companions there were. And one is no longer with me, and I relied on them for a lot. 

still though, the game is so deep I don’t care. my dragonborn is dragonboning shadowheart, and Im slowly destroying the evil in the great city, working my way to the end goal, my brain a parasitic mess as I destroy ever more powerful beings of the sword coast. 

I can’t be mad, it might be my GotY so far, and I LOVE Zelda. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Going from the RPG mechanics in this to the "R" "P"  """"""""G"""""""" "mechanics" in Starfield is going to be whiplash so bad I'm already contacting my lawyer.

Exactly. 

This is well beyond anything Bethesda has shown themselves capable of.

But I’m also not a fan of their more modern stuff. I loved Morrowind, and greatly enjoyed Fallout 3, Oblivion was worth a play through, the other fallout games aren’t great, especially 4. I finished the story in Skyrim, I thought it was awful until it had a full suite of mods to make it playable. Their MMO stuff sucks, I want nothing to do with it. I’m hoping they surprise me, but not counting on it. 

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The game's "carnal" nature hasn't gone unnoticed :lol:

bxwTtBGnspHgeeHeihjkVg-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I'm too thirsty to fight mind flayers today, sorry.

baldurs-gate-3-demon.jpg?width=1200&heig
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 is a big weird fantasy RPG that is always horny for big weird fantasy sex

I love that the first two are both from PC Gamer

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

This is better than any Bethesda game has ever been. As far as a deep rpg with choice, it doesn’t get much better than this.

It's better for you but not me and my tastes. I know I'll enjoy Starfield more than I would BG3 my a mile. 

• True 1