Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

If you loved BG3, but never played Divinity Original Sin 2, you can snag it for $15:

WWW.GOG.COM

The eagerly anticipated sequel to the award-winning RPG. Gather your party. Master de

Also on the steam store of a couple more dollars

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The critically acclaimed RPG that raised the bar, from the creators of Baldur's Gate 3. Gather your party. Master deep, tactical combat. Venture as a party of up to four - but know that only one of you will have the chance to become a God.

DOS2 isn't at the same "AAA" quality as BG3 but it's still fully voiced, just as comprehensive, and its combat mechanics are arguably better than the DnD 5e ruleset.

You can also run it on a toaster these days.

Patch 5 incoming:

WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur’s Gate 3 gets Patch 5 this week, and developer Larian has promised it will fix issues caused by Patch 4.

Baldur’s Gate 3 gets Patch 5 this week, and developer Larian Studios has promised it will fix issues caused by the recently released Patch 4.

Players reported increased performance issues in Act 3 following the release of Patch 4, with some who contacted IGN calling Baldur’s Gate 3 “unplayable” due to crushing lag.

In a statement issued to IGN, Larian explained what had caused the problem. It all boils down to the game refusing to forget unnoticed thefts and acts of vandalism, which eventually bogged down performance in the late game.

"In Patch 4 we introduced a fix that would prevent the Scrying Eyes in Moonrise Towers from immediately calling the guards on you when stealing, even if you were sneaking, or invisible for example," Larian said.

"This fix had the unintended consequence of causing unnoticed thefts and acts of vandalism to remain stuck forever within the ‘did anyone see me’ pipeline, rather than timing out and moving on, as is intended. Essentially, your dungeon master — in a real-world sense — constantly thinks about the acts of theft and violence the player keeps doing, without ever moving on or verbalising them. Mulling on it ad infinitum.

"These unnoticed and eternally-active acts of theft and violence eventually bogged down the game. The more a player commits those acts, the more the game is trying to keep that all up to date and in memory, and so the more slowdowns start happening. Essentially, the dungeon master becomes unable to operate. By Act 3 this caused slowdown issues, which after some sleuthing we’re extremely happy to say we’ve solved in Patch 5, which is in testing and scheduled to release this week."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch 5 to release this week, fixes performance issues caused by game "refusing to forget" unnoticed thefts and acts of vandalism

Just found out you could get the "Happy" buff for Astarion by biting the statue you can buy in act 3. I thought myself clever when I remembered it was a "humanoid" and figured out this exploit on my own. But it turns out the whole internet already knows about it.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:45 PM, Bacon said:

Here is a cool, epic, and proper way to end The Dark Urge personal quest - 16 minutes and full of spoilers

Hide contents

Here is the giga chad way - 9 seconds and very minimal spoilers

Hide contents

I love this ending to the arc. Makes me feel like anyone who didn't play Dark Urge resist missed out and I kind of think it should have just always been the MC story.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I love this ending to the arc. Makes me feel like anyone who didn't play Dark Urge resist missed out and I kind of think it should have just always been the MC story.

I mean, I'm still evil tho :devil:

I actually wish there was a better option than what picked, but the rest were too good or neutral. I like having characters with bloodlust. I want my character to relish in violence but in battle. Essentially, a person who joins wars because he wants to kill. I don't want my character to be a murder hobo who dishes out random acts of violence. Simply put, I want my character to be a Barbarian.

34 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I'm still evil tho :devil:

I actually wish there was a better option than what picked, but the rest were too good or neutral. I like having characters with bloodlust. I want my character to relish in violence but in battle. Essentially, a person who joins wars because he wants to kill. I don't want my character to be a murder hobo who dishes out random acts of violence. Simply put, I want my character to be a Barbarian.

There is still a world of difference between that and where the character starts :p 

2 minutes ago, legend said:

There is still a world of difference between that and where the character starts :p 

Well, yeah, I just wish the game reflected the character I wanted the urge to become. Despite all the game takes into account, it rarely gives me the outcomes I desire most. I'm super glad I don't have to be good while giving pops the middle finger, but I wanted my character to remain bloodthirsty but without the atrocities part. I mean, I'll genocide all the druids, but I'm not going to kill children or partake in ritual murder unless a quest asks me to.

I'm a very nuanced person.

• Haha 1

Some more information on Patch 5 from Larian's Director of Publishing:

Patch 5 is really good. Spent the whole day talking with devs & Co. going through it all. They were all so fucking proud of the changes. I can tell a lot of these were “finally, we did *this*!” Interesting thing post launch to see so many of them so keen to perfect the experience

What’s more, performance improvements are coming to both PC and PS5 on behalf of all the work that’s gone into optimising for Xbox. That’s exciting, but also maybe the least exciting thing in Patch 5, to give you an idea of how exciting it is. More tomorrow.

Patch #5 has been released and the patch notes can be found here:

BALDURSGATE3.GAME

<p>Patch 5 is now live for Baldur’s Gate 3!<br /> Today’s update includes brand-new epilogue scenes, Honour Mode and much much more.</p>

Deep-dive into Patch #5

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Howdy gang, Like a holiday turkey overstuffed with a moist heap of meaty bread, so too have you overstuffed our collective heart here at Larian. Since our launch in August, over 1.3 million players have completed Baldur's Gate 3, which, to continue the holiday metaphor, has made even the most blackened Belgian heart expand to at least three times its normal size. We’re so thrilled to see so many of you are loving - and, you know, finishing - the game.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch #5 has gone live, includes playable epilogues

I'm going to not install this patch. Has many great features, but I'm nearly done. Just a few more days, or 2 if I go hard. I have kinda fallen into mmo habits where I only play a little each day, specifically only doing 1 task to completion and not much else.

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I've checked the patch notes for dongs too many times, but they're as bare as a Ken doll.

The latest patch of Baldur's Gate 3 has a lot of quality-of-life updates. It has a lovely little epilogue, a gnarly new honour mode that's been giving Ted Litchfield spikes in his blood pressure, among many other tune-ups and fixes. And uh, schlong physics. Did we mention the schlong physics? Because Larian sure didn't.

I'd show you proof, but while PC Gamer writes for adults and we all assume you won't faint if you see the word 'penis', I think actively uploading a video of my tiefling's pocket flail slapping around might be a step too far. Just—if you have a character with a penis, you can test it yourself. The update's live. Go with god.

What's more, this change isn't even in the full patch notes from what I can see, though it's definitely new with Patch 5. Unless I've just been erasing the note from my memory every time I find it like some kind of SCP. I've Ctrl + F'd every penile synonym and slang, and I feel like I'm starting to spiral into some kind of lovecraftian madness. 

Baldur's Gate 3 patch 5 was jam-packed with big gameplay features like a punishing new difficulty tier, a D&D-inspired custom mode, an expanded epilogue for the core characters, and a long-awaited inventory fix. One thing the mammoth patch notes didn't mention was enhanced penis physics, but the RPG's tirelessly horny community spotted this change almost instantly and wasted no time putting these physically simulated bits through their paces.

I was first alerted to this important addition by a tweet shared by Larian's director of publishing, Michael Douse, along with thousands of other physics appreciators. "Larian stealth adding c*ck physics and then just leaving us to discover that jumpscare on our own," wrote Twitter user roach spice, immediately piquing my interest and perking up the ears of countless Baldur's Gate 3 fans. Other players were quick to share some NSFW videos demonstrating the change, which looks exactly how you'd expect.

Baldur's Gate 3 has never shied away from full nudity, but it also hasn't, uh, embellished male genitalia like this before either. "Did penises always jiggle?" asks one bemused Reddit user. No! They did not! "Patch 5 - the gift that keeps on giving," reads the top reply. 

"So... I play with my male characters completely nude," admits another. "Don't judge me. Anyone else notice they have new physics? Like their dangling parts now swing back and forth as they run, walk, or even with the wind. I love it."

"Booting up the game today and discovering there is now cock jiggling, I was sat grinning and chuckling, spinning my character around, making his handy tool flying in the wind," adds another. The whole Baldur's Gate 3 subreddit is currently full of posts like this, and Larian's clearly enjoying the chaos. 

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch #5 has gone live, includes "secret" penis physics