Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've heard the ending is "bad." Can you lemme know how you ended up feeling about it without spoiling it @legend?

The ending isn't bad by any stretch. This most definitely is *not* an ME3 fucked up ending that taints everything for you. However, there isn't much closure on what happens with the characters after you finish. This improved somewhat with them giving a bit more for of an epilogue for Karlach in a recent patch (which I saw), but it is sparse on the closure and even the Karlach added epilogue feels like it needs more connection. I would say that is my biggest criticism -- they ought to add a bit more to what happens to the characters, but the plot resolves satisfyingly enough.

They also said they're working on expanding that more, so it seems like the message was delivered. Part of me wonders if they deliberately kept the "here's what happens afterwards" sparse because they didn't want to write themselves into a corner if they ever want to do anything else with these characters in the future.

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

The ending isn't bad by any stretch. This most definitely is *not* an ME3 fucked up ending that taints everything for you. However, there isn't much closure on what happens with the characters after you finish. This improved somewhat with them giving a bit more for of an epilogue Karlach in a recent patch (which I saw), but it is sparse on the closure and even the Karlach added epilogue feels like it needs more connection. I would say that is my biggest criticism -- they ought to add a bit more to what happens to the characters, but the plot resolves satisfyingly enough.

They also said they're working on expanding that more, so it seems like the message was delivered. Part of me wonders if they deliberately kept the "here's what happens afterwards" sparse because they didn't want to write themselves into a corner if they every want to do anything else with these characters in the future.

Rad, thanks!

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Act III

Reveal hidden contents

Also (continuation of this “spoiler”):

Spoiler

When Orin infiltrates your camp, the character she replaces/kidnaps is also random. She could be Gale, Karlach, Halsin, etc, or that orphan you encounter in Rivington with the cat.

Later this week, you can watch many cast members from Baldur’s Gate 3, a game that is based heavily on the mechanics and universe of Dungeons & Dragons, play the tabletop version of Dungeons & Dragons as their characters from the video game. It sounds meta but awesome.

The cast members will be appearing on High Rollers, a live-play D&D show that streams on Twitch, on Friday at 7PM BST / 2PM ET / 11AM PT. “We have very kindly been approached by [Baldur’s Gate 3 developer] Larian Studios and some rather fine guests to run a little D&D one-shot,” dungeon master Mark Hulmes said in a video about the event.

Samantha Béart (Karlach), Tim Downie (Gale Dekarios), Jennifer English (Shadowheart), Theo Solomon (Wyll Ravengard), Neil Newbon (Astarion), and Devora Wilde (Lae’zel) are all part of the show.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: cast of BGIII to play their characters in tabletop one-shot this Friday @ 1100 Pacific/1400 Eastern on Twitch
17 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

and give it a slightly more serious tone.

The goofiness among the serious tones is what makes it so charming. DND properties that take themselves overly serious tend to be "meh", IMO; take the source material seriously, but I'd rather it not take itself seriously, if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The goofiness among the serious tones is what makes it so charming. DND properties that take themselves overly serious tend to be "meh", IMO; take the source material seriously, but I'd rather it not take itself seriously, if that makes sense.

100% I agree completely. Honestly I had a hard to expressing what I meant. Vox is just sooooo over the top goofy sometimes. I think if they scaled it back just a bit but still kept a sense of humor it would be fantastic while not feeling like an attempt to be a Critical Roll thing. If that makes sense. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

100% I agree completely. Honestly I had a hard to expressing what I meant. Vox is just sooooo over the top goofy sometimes. I think if they scaled it back just a bit but still kept a sense of humor it would be fantastic while not feeling like an attempt to be a Critical Roll thing. If that makes sense. 

Ah, I thought you meant as serious or more serious than Castlevania and was like:

season 7 episode 23 GIF
 :p 

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They really should feel free to postpone the release as long as necessary as there's really no pressing need to push it out now.

For sure, I'd rather they test it as much as they need to so there's nothing game breaking. Plus, Mac gamers are a weird bunch that complain more than any other gaming sect out there from what I've seen. :p 

Patch #3 has been released.

BALDURSGATE3.GAME

<p>Patch #3 is now live for Baldur's Gate 3.This update brings the full release of Baldur’s Gate 3 to Mac, and allows you to change your character’s appearance in-game via the Magic Mirror.</p>

Nobody asked for this, but we made the ceremorphosis scene on the nautiloid more horrifying. You're welcome.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch #3 has been released

Patch 3 seems to give a performance boost in Act III, it’s not a huge one but I think spikes in CPU usage from crowd density are mitigated as it’s less “stuttery” despite the fps only being a bit better and feels smoother overall (it probably doesn’t help that I use the “party limit begone” mod so I have my character and 8 companions running around together on screen at all times :p ).

BUT, Patch 3 broke a lot of mods: if you trade with a merchant the game won’t save and will give you a save error. The culprit for me is either the “level 13-20 curve” mod or the “increased carry weight mod”. Level 20 multiclass and party limit begone seem to be fine (they both need manual installs instead of BG3 mod manager). I’m just using a trainer that removes carry weight until someone fixes the increase carry weight mod (it hasn’t been updated in ages, only updates have been new multiples (ie: x30) for people who don’t want small increases or basically infinite carry weight)