Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update (09/05): Patch 7 (the final really big one) released for PC, Mac/console release in October

Voice and motion capture actor Neil Newbon, known to fans of Baldur's Gate 3 as Astarion, is streaming a co-op let's play of Baldur's Gate 3 alongside friend and horror writer-director Tom de Ville. As they stream they laugh along to the game, and yeah, Newbon does The Astarion Voice a lot when he's in control of, you know, the character he played in the game.

The most interesting bit is that Newbon's definitely got some insight into how much of it was motion captured and acted—not just for his own role, either. Newbon also apparently did the motion capture for some other pieces of BG3, including the motions during the origin character creation sections. I plopped in some of those highlights as YouTube shorts below.

The other cool thing is that, in the third episode, Newbon and de Ville are joined by Amelia Tyler, the narrator voice for Baldur's Gate 3. It's a neat combination of commentary alongside gameplay with a very loose interview format of talking about game production and Tyler's experience on the production. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Astarion's voice actor is doing a YouTube "Let's Play" joined by the game's Narrator
4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm illithiding the fuck out of everything. My Paladin shall not be stopped! Actually fills in some critical Paladin moveset gaps quite well... And my brain tickles when I think of tentacles!

I only convinced Asterion to go expanded powers cause fuck him. Hes been trying to convince me to do evil shit the whole time so it was my turn.

I coudn't bring myself to convince Shadowheart and Karlach, the other two party members I use

4 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I only convinced Asterion to go expanded powers cause fuck him. Hes been trying to convince me to do evil shit the whole time so it was my turn.

I coudn't bring myself to convince Shadowheart and Karlach, the other two party members I use

I convinced everyone but keep hogging all the worms for myself.

Well the day has finally come where I need to upgrade my PC. I've said in the past I'd only do it when I played a game that needed it and appearenly Act III is it.

The game is almost unplayable at times especially durning some cutscenes and turning down settings does nothing. I've read that Act III is very CPU limited so thats what I'm doing first and if that still doesn't solve it then a new GPU it is. 

20 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Well the day has finally come where I need to upgrade my PC. I've said in the past I'd only do it when I played a game that needed it and appearenly Act III is it.

The game is almost unplayable at times especially durning some cutscenes and turning down settings does nothing. I've read that Act III is very CPU limited so thats what I'm doing first and if that still doesn't solve it then a new GPU it is. 

Act III supposedly runs like ass for everyone. My fps went from a more or less constant 120fps in Act I to 60-80 in Act II, and I expect lower in III :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Act III supposedly runs like ass for everyone. My fps went from a more or less constant 120fps in Act I to 60-80 in Act II, and I expect lower in III :p 

I would be content with playing like ass. During the coronation cut scene it literally lags for like 10 seconds before going into a slide show. 

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

Ryzen 3600 16 GB system Ram NVidia 2700.

Is that something I would benefit from? I thought that was just for higher end cards.

ReBAR helps remove some CPU limitations by moving some of the load to the GPU (things that the CPU sends to the GPU anyway; it removes the middleman). Doesn’t really matter what GPU you have as long as it supports ReBAR. I assume you mean an RTX 2070? I would consider swapping out your CPU to a 5800x3D if you have a good cooler, they’ve been on sale for around $270-280ish

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

ReBAR helps remove some CPU limitations by moving some of the load to the GPU (things that the CPU sends to the GPU anyway; it removes the middleman). Doesn’t really matter what GPU you have as long as it supports ReBAR. I assume you mean an RTX 2070? I would consider swapping out your CPU to a 5800x3D if you have a good cooler, they’ve been on sale for around $270-280ish

Yes RTX 2070 and I already bought a 7800x3d, 32 GB of RAM and a ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F.

I think my 750W power supply should still get the job done as long as I don't upgrade my GPU.

As a bonus I got a free copy of Starfield so not too shabby. 

26 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Yes RTX 2070 and I already bought a 7800x3d, 32 GB of RAM and a ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F.

I think my 750W power supply should still get the job done as long as I don't upgrade my GPU.

As a bonus I got a free copy of Starfield so not too shabby. 

That PSU is more than enough, even if you upgraded to a 4080. A 7900XTX and 4090 is where you’d want to think about upgrading.

Minimum GPU upgrade IMO should be a used 3080 12gb (used because new prices for 3000 series are f’n stupid :p ) or 6800XT. Your 2070 is about on par with a 3060 iirc.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That PSU is more than enough, even if you upgraded to a 4080. A 7900XTX and 4090 is where you’d want to think about upgrading.

Minimum GPU upgrade IMO should be a used 3080 12gb (used because new prices for 3000 series are f’n stupid :p ) or 6800XT. Your 2070 is about on par with a 3060 iirc.

Yeah I think the GPU is just fine for Act III. The CPU is whats killing it. I only game at 1440p (OLED gang) some I might be able to play Starfield at decent settings.

I'm probably gonna skip this generation of graphics cards as I think everything is way overpriced right now. This mobo has PCIe 5.0 so I should be futured proofed for some time because I don't really upgrade often and usually piecemeal.  I've been using the same case since 2012. 

Haven't really been able to play most of last week, but got back into it over the weekend.

Cleared the House of Hope. Holy shit at that end fight. That's the first fight I save scummed because I did not bring the right party for it and I was not going to redo it all :p  

Saving grace for why I was able to do it at all is because I had scrolls of

Spoiler

Otto's irresistible dance and Shadowheart has war caster to give advantage on con save.

Patch #3 will release on September 21 with full Mac support.

Thank you from the fiery infernal engine we keep in place of our heart. ❤️‍🔥 We couldn't have asked for a better response to Baldur's Gate 3. 

Patch 3 is coming September 21 with full support for BG3 on Mac.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Patch #3 to release on September 21 including full Mac support

I'm tempted to install the mod that increases the lvl cap past 12 via muticlassing and increasing the difficulty to tactician. I've hit the level cap and I feel like there is still a ton more game to play and its kinda lame not to look forward to XP and character building except only through gear and the stray brain worm.  But it would be way too easy hence the difficulty increase.

Minor complaint, I wish they’d just be transparent about what quests or areas will be lost if you progress the story on those few quests where it says hey make sure you’re ready to progress. I know it wouldn’t be perfect but give me something. Cuz like I don’t know on some of these, can I even complete these yet or do I need to progress the story to finish this actually. 

29 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm tempted to install the mod that increases the lvl cap past 12 via muticlassing and increasing the difficulty to tactician. I've hit the level cap and I feel like there is still a ton more game to play and its kinda lame not to look forward to XP and character building except only through gear and the stray brain worm.  But it would be way too easy hence the difficulty increase.

FWIW the game isn’t really much “easier” with the lvl20 multiclass mod as I don’t think the levels above 12 add anything stat-wise and you only get the spells/skills added from whatever class you added on. It’s easier in the sense that you can get higher level spells/skills to use with a multi classed character, I suppose. There’s another mod that actually creates an upgrade tree for lvl 13-20 so that one definitely can OP you.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW the game isn’t really much “easier” with the lvl20 multiclass mod as I don’t think the levels above 12 add anything stat-wise and you only get the spells/skills added from whatever class you added on. It’s easier in the sense that you can get higher level spells/skills to use with a multi classed character, I suppose. There’s another mod that actually creates an upgrade tree for lvl 13-20 so that one definitely can OP you.

So with the regular mod you wouldn't get feats and stuff?

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Care to share your final hour count? Did you do a good chunk of side stuff? 

That's a little tricky because I played the original EA release to completion (which was about 70% of act 1) and in coop and did spend half a day playing coop on the full release (which I'll probably get back to now that my friend and I are both finished).

So that all said, the Steam number reads 191.7 hours. It's probably closer to 140 for the single playthrough. And yes, I did every bit of side content that I found. Though I know I still missed some!

EDIT: Actually there is one other data point which is the last full save I have does list 120 some hours. That doesn't include and reloads, some of which were more sizeable than others, but I'm going to say 130 might be a more reasonable estimate.

• Thanks 1